1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Lab Found on 395

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Lois, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

A friend that lives off of 395 e-mailed the following:

I found a beautiful yellow lab yesterday on 395. He was about to get hit by a car 2 times. He has no collar on ... He seems lost. We walked all over with him. Right now he is in a fence with Watercolor security behind Publix. I'm going this morning to bath him and feed him. I have called the radio station , animal control , emergency vet ... We have signs up and WaterColor has an email out to thier employees.... Could you email people you know to see if any one is looking for this dog. He is too pretty and sweet, I know he must have a home. Let me know,.. Thanks.

Any ideas?

2. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Sad. Hope you find his/her owners or worst case you find a good home for the dog. They are beautiful dogs, great with kids, and is missed by his owners I'm sure.

You came to the right place for help. My guess is that thru this board you will directly or indirectly find the owners. The locals on this board will make it happen.

Good luck.

3. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Have you had the dog scanned to see if he has a microchip containing owner info? Many puppies have this microchip inserted before they go out to owners now. Scanners are available through Humane Society and other pet rescue facilities, as well as many veterinary offices. Sometimes the chip contains the breeder's name and address, because that is the point of registration. However, breeders keep owner names and the dog's registration will also have the change if they sent in the paperwork. Good luck. Sounds like a really nice pet for someone and I'll bet his owners are just heartbroken. I'm sure you've already alerted the shelters in the area, who would be first on the list for the owners to contact.

4. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

Thanks Donna, I'll suggest the scanning idea to my friend. Too bad we don't yet have a humane society in the area, I know CARE (Community Animial Rescue Effort of Walton County) is working on that.

Thanks again!

5. ellen

ellen Beach Lover

A family in Grayton is missing their dog. He's been gone a month or so. They are out of town for Thanksgiving, but I just left them a message to go see if it's theirs. Hope so!

6. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

THANKS Ellen .. let's hope this is the one!

7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Was that the one we were talking about? And it got away before they could find the owner? I'm going to try and find that thread.

8. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Not to be mean-spirited, but this dog would be so much better off in a home where he would be properly cared for. How could someone be missing their dog for a month and not be checking in everywhere? The area is not that big. When I was growing up, lots of familiar dogs wandered the streets of Grayton without collars or tags. But those days are long gone. A wandering dog is all too likely to be hit by a car, especially if they are out at after dark. I hope that dog is in a good new home by now.

9. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

:welcome:

10. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

[​IMG]

Thankfully my friend who found the dog has the diehard 30A spirit and paraded throughout Seaside/Seagrove yesterday evening during the Seaside Holiday Parade with a banner tied around her neck and her husband walked around with a large photo of the dog.

They found several ticks on the dog, which they have since removed, and gave him a flea bath, thankfully he wasn't too badly infested.

The dog is still homeless.

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

What great people- can they hang on to the dog until the Grayton family gets back? Or is there a rescue shelter in the area that would take him? If he can't be reunited with his owners, maybe there is someone who would adopt him!

12. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

I bet this is the same dog I found ([ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=2002"]long story - see old thread[/ame]). His name is Lucky, and he belongs to Cole and Janet Taylor. I know someone has tried to call them on their local phones (Grayton and Watercolor), but I don't know if they have been reached yet. If anyone knows them and has a better number, please call the Taylors. He had a collar on when I found him but that was over a month ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2005
  13. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

I am almost certain this dog is "Lucky," and it belongs to Cole and Janet Taylor's family. They are visiting her familiy in Georgia for the holidays. The family has been looking for the dog for weeks and they have signs posted around Grayton/Seaside areas. It was last seen near the Seaside School, where their children attend school, so probably the reason it is hanging out there. I know Cole's sister, Kitty Taylor, pretty well and left a message on her cell phone just now. I also called the real estate office and asked them to call Cole and Janet on their cell phone to let them know we think the dog is found and is safe, is being kept in the WaterColor security area behind Publix. Might be a good idea for someone to call WaterColor security and let them know the owners may be coming by tonight and the dog could be released to them. If anyone wants to make a direct call to the Taylors, contact Miriam at the real estate office at (850)213-2886. Cole and Janet Taylor are expected back sometime tonight. Hopefully, this is another happy ending.

14. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

Thanks Donna, I will forward the above information to my friend who found the dog and will PM you her phone number. I e-mailed her earlier for an update as I was concerned that the dog may not have adequate shelter in this awful weather, but I haven't heard anything yet.

15. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

The woman who found the dog and wore the parade banner has him at her home, on the porch. Kitty is going there now to see if the dog is Lucky. Another couple claims the dog might be their "Baxter." So sounds like one or the other will claim him. Apparently, Baxter has a micro-chip but has not been neutered :idontno: Unfortunately, he will wander again if he remains unneutered. But hopefully, a happy ending for the dog, for now. People are so good to care for helpless animals, aren't they?

16. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

This is the latest from Patty, who found the dog:

Kitty came and looked at the dog today ... It is not Lucky. But we think we
    found the owners last night on our way to the car in Seaside., They saw the
    sign on me. They are coming today to look at the dog. They described him
    very well and his manners. We think it is him. Thanks I will let you know.

17. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Thanks for this info. Kitty called me back after checking the dog out. We were both disappointed that it was not Lucky. However, I had my doubts after finding out that the dog was not neutered. Sounds like he does belong to the other interested party. A happy ending for a lucky pooch.

18. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Apparently, Baxter has a micro-chip but has not been neutered :idontno: Unfortunately, he will wander again if he remains unneutered. But hopefully, a happy ending for the dog, for now. People are so good to care for helpless animals, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one Donna. This calls for "WTF"?????? Why microchip a dog, but not neuter him? So when he's out being a horn dog and running away every other day, the owner might have a better chance of getting him back? Or as a way to ID his body after he has been hit by a car?

I don't understand how some dogowners choose to keep their dog "manly" over protecting him from cancer, behavior problems, and injuries. Shame shame shame. :pissed:

19. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

THANKFULLY the people Patty met in Seaside knew this dog :D .. it belongs to their neighbors who neglect it and the people who showed up to ID him had found a good home for him, but he ran off before they could get him moved. Obviously the dog knew them as he was extremely excited when they showed up. We think this dog has nine lives as according to the neighbor he had been snake bit and shot at!! :eek:

This dog is not "Lucky" ... so Lucky is still out there somewhere.

THANKS everyone for your input. :clap_1: