• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
SSSSSSo, I was driving out of the neighborhood tonight, and YUCK...there was a dead snake in the middle of the street (it looked like it had been sleeping and someone ran over it...it was coiled up in a circle and smooshed). Anyway, it was yellow with brown stripes. I've never seen a snake like this down here (not that I've seen a lot of snakes) and am just wondering if anyone knows what it might be??? If so, would it have been poisonousssss?

Any info would be appreciated! THANKSSSSSSSSSS.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
which way did the stripes run? across the body or length-wise? how large were the brown stripes? How long was the snake (good guess)? was it fat or thin? Could it have been brown, with yellow stripes, like the Garter Snake, below?

P3300006sm.jpg

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
Hi Joe, thanks for responding. I live full-time in Indiana and have a cottage down here...I don't get down often enough!

It was a struggle for me to really inspect the snake...I looked as long as I could before getting the creeps. It didn't look like the garter snake in the photo. Its dominant color was yellow. I think the brown stripes were vertical, rather than following the shape of the snake (I'm not 100% on this...the snake was coiled up and I couldn't bare to look for very long).

It was probably about as big around as a garden hose. Are you aware of anything like this???

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So the snake was in SoWal?

From your description, the snake doesn't sound familiar to me.

I think the brown stripes were vertical, rather than following the shape of the snake
This is confusing to me. Were the stripes like rings around the snake or were they long stripes running the length of the body?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So the snake was in SoWal?

From your description, the snake doesn't sound familiar to me.

I think the brown stripes were vertical, rather than following the shape of the snake
This is confusing to me. Were the stripes like rings around the snake or were they long stripes running the length of the body?

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Google "diamondback snake" and look at the images that come up. Could that be it?

If he was coiled, someone ran him over on purpose. That really bothers me, because snakes are way better than rats....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Most snakes will naturally react to being ran over, by twisting around and maybe coiling up as they die in pain, much like a person in much physical pain might curl into the fetal position.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks for the input....the stripes were more like rings around the body, not the length of the snake. If it's still in the street, I'll try to muster up the courage to get close enough to shoot a photo. I did call the mgt. company yesterday and ask them to have it removed, so it may be gone.

I did look up diamond back snake on google, but didn't see anything that looks like this one. This one is more dominantly yellow than brown. :)