Yianni's closed

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Joyce Owen, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Joyce Owen

Joyce Owen SoWal Staff

So very sad. Went by last night and the open signs weren't lit. Sometimes, they forget, but the lights were off.
    The note on the door said they couldn't renew their lease and were closed.
    We were there Saturday and it was so quiet, probably not 20 diners and few carryouts. It's no surprise that the mom and pop places are really struggling, here's another example. Yianni has been in the restaurant business a long time and if he couldn't handle this severe downturn, who can?
    Hopefully the Georgiades will find a way to reopen somewhere else.

2. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

Very Sad. I went there every Friday night for the Yanni Burger, the Calamari, or one of their incredible salads. The part I will really miss is having the option of bringing my own wine to a local restaurant, for the life of me I don't think there are any others on 30A that do that.

Yanni and his wonderful and "clean" restaurant will be missed by this SoWaller.!:cry:

3. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

It breaks my heart to see this happening!:sosad:

4. ameliaj

ameliaj Beach Fanatic

OOOOOOOH!!! NOOOOOO!!!:cry::cry::cry: We love Yianni's:wub:. I'm just sorry we were not in Sowal enough to make a difference. I hope they can find another even better location.

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Many restaurants will let you do this, there may be a corkage fee involved, but most places are perfectly happy to let you bring your own.

6. Lake Eastern

Lake Eastern Beach Lover

Oh, tell me this isn't so! Our family thrives on Yianni's and love Mrs. G.

7. seagrover

seagrover Beach Fanatic

We were there Friday night - they had a good crowd.

I hope this is a bad joke!!!

The Yianni burger is a favorite of mine!!!

8. Joyce Owen

Joyce Owen SoWal Staff

There's hope

The latest is that Yianni hopes to find another place and open sometime in February.
    As to bringing wine, he allowed his customers to bring any adult beverage, no fee. I don't think anyone else on 30A does that. We've even seen folks roll in coolers filled with beer!
    For us it wasn't just a place to dine, but to meet first-timers and rave about the Yianni burger or urge them to try the carrot cake. In the fall, it was the perfect place to catch up with friends who were venturing out once the tourists were gone.
    It was, and hopefully will be again, a locals place that we will gladly share.

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Your first post implies they had trouble making the rent. Maybe it is simply business.

10. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

My first guess would have been that the building owner wanted to substantially raise the rent on them.

11. Joyce Owen

Joyce Owen SoWal Staff

Sorry, should have said it was a problem negotiating a new lease.

12. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Agree...the commercial RE boom is the next leg down. Commercial property investulators across the nation are having the same problems as homeowers, trying to come up with the mortgage payments as expenses continue to rise. The fact that we're going deeper into recession and the consumers are cutting way back on buying stuff and food is shrinking merchants' profit margins at the same time commercial property owners are trying to make the monthly nut by jacking up rents.

It's sad to see businesses disappearing, but it is the logical outcome of the frenzied RE money-grab from daze gone by.

13. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Landlords in South Walton had better realize that something is better than nothing! There is plenty of available space for good reason and it really is sad to see complexes with so many empty units. Small businesses have little chance with the present situation, even with a good "season". PLEASE support your local merchants or we will not have any left.

14. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

I don't think they have a choice--they're bleeding out money and have no option left to keep from sinking further underwater other than jacking up rents. Many are probably commerical property investulators who were trying to get rich quick--kinda like condo investulators, only more clueless to the risk of the economy going into the crapper.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  15. tistheseason

tistheseason Beach Fanatic

What a shame! We loved Yianni's! It was a crowd pleaser -- you could get a great salad, a burger, pizza, fish. And surprisingly it was all great! I also loved being able to bring your own wine with no corkage fee! I hope that they will reopen!! There should be plenty of locations to choose from -- I just hope it's close to our beach house, please!

16. Sailbee

Sailbee Beach Crab

Yiannis

This is a crime!! Maybe Obam can help - this restaurant is one of the best on 30A, reasonable and delicious. Perhaps they can come back. This is the type quality restaurant that exemplies the taste of South Walton.

17. htjhs8

htjhs8 Beach Lover

Yanni's Greek Restaurant

Apologize if this has already been addressed........but,

does anyone know why YANNI'S on 30A closed?

thks

18. cheesehead

cheesehead Beach Lover

The rent went up and his wife has been ill for about 2 yrs. Good ? on why, in this economy, would the rent be raised. I think enough resturants have closed.

19. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Fire. Not as in the restaurant, but as in the state, process, or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame. So sad.

For the record, it's Yianni's. Of course, I have never misspelled a word. :floor:

EDIT: I also have never made a mistake. :floor: I remember another thread on this topic. The fire didn't do enough damage to close it down.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  20. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Who knows. Since Crist has been Governor we have seen a major drop in taxes and insurance rates according to the letter he sent me last week asking for a contribution. So not sure why rent would be doing anything but also falling.