• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Which domain should the TDC select?

• www.southwalton.com

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • www.visitsouthwalton.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • www.toeachyourbeach.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • www.beachesofsouthwalton.com (current)

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • other (post ideas below)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The new TDC branding would require a new domain name to match it's new brand change from Beaches of South Walton to South Walton. The most desirable domain would be a .com domain. It appears that LKM (TDC marketing company) purchased the domain "www.toeachyourbeach.com" in November of last year. The two other domain names that appear to be desirable would be "www.southwalton.com" and "www.visitsouthwalton.com" and those are currently owned by other individuals - one since 1997 and the other since 2009.

Who will win the contest ? Who will grab the golden ring ?

Last edited:
People don't identify a location by the county. Example: "Funn in Fulton County" versus "Atlanta" (enough said).

With the word "Walton" in the name, one can't tell clueless people where it is because they always think "Ft. Walton." Same for "Santa Rosa Beach" -- that's not the same as Santa Rosa County. I am really tired of explaining where our beach house is.
Me: It's in Seagrove Beach.
Others: Where's that?
Me: Have you heard of Seaside or Watercolor or Grayton?
Others: No.
Me (after much frustration): Well, it's halfway between Destin and Panama City.
Others: Oh, yes, I know where that is.

The solution is the name "SoWal." It doesn't explicitly say the county, yet it does it implicitly once one "get" it. I don't understand why Kurt hasn't cashed in on that name because it is upscale and exactly descriptive. Absolutely perfect.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I choose none of the above - entirely too limited.
South Walton - with no beaches? this leaves out a very important word that describes this area). we could be in Oklahoma, who could tell?

I would either go with the current website - which is fine (the domain name is ok, the website itself is not the best), or change to:
Southwaltonbeach.com
Southwaltonbeaches.com

and then also add on the visitsouthwaltonbeach.com, or whichever, if that is really needed, which I do not know if it is.

after seeing other TDCs online, some have two sites:
one is for the TDC itself - such as - waltoncountytdc.com
one is for promotion of the area - visitstpeteclearwater.com

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Unfortunately Teresa those are already owned, one by a real estate company and the other is owned by something called Destin Directory.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Well That One Is Gone !

WALTON COUNTY, Fla., April 20, 2011 - 30A.com announced the acquisition of the website domain name, SouthWalton.com. The URL joins a family of other brands owned by the company, including Grayton.com, 30-A.com, ThirtyA.com, 30Arealestate.com, 30Arentals.com, 30Abeaches.com, CoastalDuneLakes.com, 30Atv.com, 30Anews.com, TheBeachHighway.com and over 150 other domain names related to the region.

"Everyone knows what 30A is, but there's always been some confusion about how to brand the broader region," said 30A.com's Mike Ragsdale. "With civic institutions already in place such as South Walton High School, South Walton Fire District, South Walton Courthouse Annex and South Walton Coastal Branch Library -- in addition to the recent 'South Walton: To Each, Your Beach' marketing initiatives announced by our Tourist Development Council -- it's clear that the 'South Walton' brand is here to stay."

30A purchased the domain name from Robert Nelson of I Fix Computers, Inc. (I Fix Computers, Inc.) in DeFuniak Springs.

"I like what Mike's doing with 30A.com, and I'm happy that we were able to strike a deal," said Nelson, who has owned the domain name since 1997. "I know he plans to use it to promote our community and local businesses."

Terms of the acquisition are undisclosed, and Ragsdale said that the company is not yet ready to share its vision for the brand.

"It's a very exciting opportunity, and it's also a responsibility that we take very seriously," said Ragsdale. "Right now, we just know that owning SouthWalton.com will enable us to drive even more visitors to local businesses, charities and events."