• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
I've cut and pasted below the email exchange I've been having with a potential renter-I'm beginning to get suspicious:

Carlos Buff has sent the following inquiry about property number 167647 in WaterSound.

Rent WaterSound Florida House 167647 for Golf, Fishing Vacations

To reply to this inquiry, simply call the phone number contained in the inquiry or reply to this e-mail.

Inquiry Summary Name: Carlos Buff
Email: (deleted)
Phone #: (deleted)
Arrival date: Feb 14 2009
Departure date: Feb 21 2009
Total # in party: 2 (including children)
No of children: 0
Further info:
Hi, Want to know if the apartment would be available for the schdule date choosen? and also the cost for staying over for exactly on week?

Carlos,

Thanks for your inquiry regarding our house in WaterSound. You mentioned "apartment" in your inquiry and I just wanted to make sure you understood that this is a house, not an apartment.

To answer your question, our Winter special rate for the week of February 14th departing February 21st is $1120. We charge a $250 cleaning fee, but I see you only have 2 people in your party. If you only plan on using 1 bedroom, we can reduce the cleaning fee to $150. If that was the case, the total would be $1120 + $150 cleaning fee + 11% tax = $1509.70. We do accept credit cards.

There are additional photos plus virtual tours of our house at: www.emeraldcoasttours.com/165gulfbridgelane

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jack

To: Jack McCallion
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:29:02 AM
Subject: Re: HomeAway inquiry about WaterSound 167647 from Carlos Buff

Many thanks for your cordial response, and I am glad to hear you about availability covering the period of our stay in your apartment.
I would be making the full payment of our stay ahead to you through a Credit card Authorization. This is a secured & fast for me to make Payment. I would need the following details from you for the transfer to be done soonest..
1.Credit card Account Number that is (16 digits)
2.Bank zip-code
3.Your credit Limit
4.Your Daily Re drawer Limit
5. Phone number
5.Bank Name
Thank you for your time.
Kind Regards
Carlos Buffett.

Carlos,

That's great! I'm sure you'll have a lovely stay in our home. Before you commit, there are a couple of new developments with the house that I thought you should be aware of.

During the recent cold snap (I'm sure you heard of it) the water pipes that were routed on top of the roof (a bad design choice, in retrospect) burst, flooding both the upper and lower floors of the house. All the furniture, floors, carpets, and electronics in the house were destroyed. In addition, the contractor working on repairs was forced to take off almost the entirety of the roof, leaving the house basically an open shell.

But the good news! All the community amenities are still available to you (pool, bikes, putting course) and the beautiful white sand beach (actually some peat is showing but that's another story) is still just a short walk away. And the lack of a roof will allow you to enjoy the warm(ish) Florida sun through the entirety of your stay!

If this is still agreeable to you let me know. In terms of the bank account information you requested, we actually have accounts with more than one bank. Would you need all of the account numbers, or just one? We also have a retirement account, but you probably don't need that info.

Warm Personal Regards,

Jack

To: Jack McCallion
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:07:55 PM
Subject: Re: HomeAway inquiry about WaterSound 167647 from Carlos Buff

Thanks for the update, I would prefer a Wellsfargo Bank account, BOA or Citibank. Those are the 3 bank i work with and i can arrange the transfer to you soonest. I am making the full payment once. So email me the requested details needed by my Bank to make the Transfer. I would gladly be waiting for your response.

Thanks

Carlos Buffett.

Carlos,

I?m glad it?s no problem! I was concerned that the damage to the house might deter renters, but I can see now I was worried for no reason.

In terms of the bank account number, well, it?s rather confusing. There are many numbers on the checks, but the account number appears to be 832. The funny thing is, the account number is different on every check! For example, the account number on the next check is 833. Crazy! It?s these kinds of things that are making the banks have so much trouble right now.

You asked about a ?routing number?. I don?t think this bank has one, it?s a local bank and everyone knows where it is.

My credit card number is 04/2009. You asked about an expiration date, and I know exactly what you mean by that. When I?m buying milk, I always make sure to buy the freshest I can. A small hint, Carlos: Sometimes you have to reach behind and get the milk in the back. But in terms of the credit card, I don?t think it has an expiration date?it?s made of plastic.

Carlos, I just noticed your arrival date is February 14th-Valentine?s Day! I?ve taken the liberty of arranging for a bottle of Champagne and a dozen roses to be waiting for you and (may I presume) your lady friend when you arrive, to compensate you for the inconvenience.

Speaking of inconvenience, I?ve got some great news. The contractor says he?ll be able to put a blue plastic tarp over the former bedroom area, in case it rains.

Let me know what I should do next.

Your Friend,
Jack

I haven't yet received Carlos' response, I'll post it when/if I do.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I would so print and forward to the FBI, local authorities, and every other agency I could think of. While we are sitting here laughing about this some other person might actually do it. These folks will never get caught unless someone takes the time to turn them in.
EDIT: I am sure someone on here can tell you how to find the IP address that it was sent from and that info will be of great help to those trying to track the scammer.

Last edited:

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
DO NOT give this person your info. I get one of these types of inquiries every time I put something on craigslist, it is a scam to try to get your banking info.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
:rofl:..He doesn't even appear to have read your reply about the house! Or doesn't read English much beyond account #s!