• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
A friend of mine made these this weekend and they were divine! Had to share!

RE_Tstecarmelapplev.jpg

Caramel Apple Bites

For the Filling:

1/3 cup chopped unpeeled apple

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

For the Dough:

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups all-purpose flour

For the Topping:

1 package (14 ounces) caramels

2/3 cup evaporated milk

Green toothpicks

1 cup chopped walnuts

RECIPE

In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg, vanilla and salt; beat well. Add flour; mix well.

Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls.

Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted. Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated. Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Wouldn't you know I'd be the first one to reply....
These sound delish!! Thanks for sharing!:D

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Great recipe! Will definitely make it for my Halloween guests.

I am craving caramel apple stuff after having a caramel cider at Starbucks. Since I do not drink coffee, I do not frequent the place often, but was freezing, so I gave it a try. So yummy! I made a lower calorie version at home with sugar free caramel and fat free whipped topping.....very satisfying.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal

I am craving caramel apple stuff after having a caramel cider at Starbucks. Since I do not drink coffee, I do not frequent the place often, but was freezing, so I gave it a try. So yummy! I made a lower calorie version at home with sugar free caramel and fat free whipped topping.....very satisfying.

Atta girl!! :clap_1:

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country

Mmmm, the cider sounds taste tasty.

One note on the apple bites. My friend didn't use the toothpicks. Well, she probably used them for dipping but she sliced a small triangle of apple and placed it on the top then drizzled a little more caramel over them. They were prettier than this picture.

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
:drool: Sounds grayt. Funny you should post this cause I have been eating lots of apples, but on low sugar diet and I LOVE caramel, so my sister broke out low sugar peanut butter, and at first I was like EEEW, but then I got hooked and it has that caramel texture.
I didn't think of putting walnuts in it, so I am going to try that next time.
Thanks for sharing.