Explore the Outdoors Festival Rescheduled for Nov. 2
October 3, 2013 by SoWal Staff
Walton Outdoors announced that the annual Explore The Outdoors Festival, originally planned for Oct. 5, 2013, is rescheduled for Nov. 2, due to approaching weather.
The event will be held on Nov. 2 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the beautiful waterfront location of Live Oak Landing Outdoor Destination, 229 Pitts Avenue in Freeport, Florida.
This fun-filled day is geared towards introducing children to the wonders of exploring the outdoors. Hands on activities will include fishing, boating, kayaking, wildlife encounters, interactive educational exhibits, nature-based crafts and much more. The event is free. The water activities are geared for children six-years-old and up.
Activities and exhibits include:
- Fish Florida rod/reel giveaways for the first 140 attendees
- Fishing education with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Boat rides
- Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge wildlife exhibit
- Birding with the Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission wildlife interactive
- South Walton Turtle Watch exhibit
- Topsail Hill Preserve State Park exhibit
- St. Andrew’s State Park exhibit
- Camp Helen State Park exhibit
- Falling Waters State Park exhibit
- Northwest Florida Astronomy
- Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance touch tank
- Smokey the Bear and his friends from Forestry
- Live butterfly exhibit with naturalist Joe Wyatt
- Water safety with Freeport Fire and Rescue
- Bee exhibit with Dietrich’s Honey Farm
- Nature based crafts with Freeport Planters, On The Coast Magazine, and Meigs Art
- Boat demonstration and exhibit with Walton County Sheriff’s Office
- Raffle for great items such as a two-night (off season) getaway in Northwest Florida from Wyndam Resorts Vacations, Fishing Trip with Wounded Warrior Fishing, Wonder Works family pass, fishing backpacks and tackle boxes
- Food and soft drinks available for purchase
- Great giveaways for the children
Sponsors include: For The Health of It, Gulf Coast Insulation, Kindness Pet Hospital, Wyndam Resort Vacations, Kiwanis of Freeport/South Walton, Jane Burns/Edward Jones, Freeport Planters Society, Big Daddy’s Bike Shop, Fish Florida!, Yellowfin Ocean Sports, Copy Systems, On The Coast Magazine.