• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
Last month SWCC invited all 2020 SWMC candidates (4 total) to participate in a survey that consisted of 5 questions.

There are two candidates running for each open seat on the Board.

Seat 1 Candidates: Jack Douglas Liles Jr & John “M&M” Magee
Seat 2 Candidates: Donna Johns & Michael T. Norris

This email focuses on the survey responses from the two Seat 1 Candidates: Jack Douglas Liles Jr & John “M&M” Magee.

SWCC is sharing these candidate responses so the community can get a better understanding on each candidate’s position on various important issues in South Walton.

Question 1 CANDIDATE RESPONSES
Question 1: What is the most important challenge facing SWMC over the next four years, and what is your plan for addressing that challenge?
------------------------

Jack Douglas Liles Jr:
To protect our Choctawhatchee Bay and Coastal Dune Lakes from SWMC ditch stormwater runoff pollution. This can be accomplished by a comprehensive management approach.
Phase 1- Identify SWMC ditches that drain into these bodies of water and develop a plan to filter out impurities using plants and storm-water retaining areas.
Phase 2- Repair damaged ditches and maintain adjacent vegetation to prevent storm-water flow blockages.
I will accomplish these stormwater runoff enhancements and control the mosquito population without increasing the SWMC budget.

------------------------

John “M&M” Magee:
There are three areas of challenge, first is the building of our new headquarters now more than ever due to hurricane Sally. I am proud that Commissioner Norris and myself establish in 2015 a five-year plan to replace our existing headquarters and be debt-free we are a little behind from breaking ground but it’s going to happen. Second having our bill passed in Tallahassee and then approved by the constituents in South Walton to establish storm water district. Third area, the continuous growth of South Walton and density of population will create more demand of services controlling mosquitoes. Over time this will increase operational expense with the hiring of additional technicians and equipment. All of which needs to be slowly budgeted and monitored so it is not a catastrophic hit at one time.

--------------------------------------------------------

Question 2: Does untreated stormwater flow directly into the bay? If so, how should it be managed in the future? Do you support a new South Walton stormwater management District taxing district?

------------------------

Jack Douglas Liles Jr:
Yes, it absolutely does. Walton County has gone on record to say that none of the stormwater from its county roads enters into the Mosquito Control- ditches or goes into the bay. This was proven to be false by the expert assessment done by Hydro solutions. This report is available on voteliles.com
First, we must contract with an engineering firm to develop an effective and efficient stormwater management plan for the SWMC ditches. This plan must be implemented in a phased manner so that taxes are not increased. Please see answer to question one for additional information.
No. The $8 million that has been set aside for the new Mosquito Control- building should be diverted into Stormwater management improvements. We do not need additional taxes. All of the needs for the South Walton Mosquito Control district can be accomplished with effective management and efficient implementation of a good plan. Also, under Florida Statute 388.161, SWMCD will seek reimbursement from the county to pay for all expenses associated with Stormwater management.

------------------------

John “M&M” Magee:
At the present time we have one ditch that empties into the bay that is our responsibility. Over the last 14+ years we have had tremendous problems with this ditch due to the property owner Doug Liles. We have come to a resolution with this property owner but in the long run it has cost the district over $30,000 in repairs by damages caused by the property owner. I absolutely believe in the storm water management district proposal. It would be the best thing to happen to South Walton.

Question 3: How would you improve SWMC’s existing spray program to make it safer and more effective?

------------------------

Jack Douglas Liles Jr:
I would partner with the South Walton Fire Dept. to mulch new access trails around neighborhoods that would serve as fire lines and access to spray for mosquitoes and treat with larvicide. The bottom line is that instead of spraying only on the roads, we will also spray behind the houses where most of the mosquitoes are breeding in areas that are currently inaccessible. We will only use safe and environmentally friendly pesticides and apply them as recommended by the manufacturer specifications. This new program would make the existing spray program much safer and more effective.

------------------------

John “M&M” Magee:
The program we currently have is the best it has ever been. When I first was elected, they were spraying pesticides literally every day. Changing from fogging to larvicding treating breeding areas has lowered the count of mosquitoes in our district. A good example, in the month of August we only had eleven spray missions and that was for only selective areas in the district. Larvicding creates a situation that eats the eggs of the mosquito before they hatch. In addition, we are always looking for new and safer pesticides to rotate during spring

Question 4: What best practices from other Mosquito Control Districts would you implement to mitigate South Walton’s mosquito population?
------------------------

Jack Douglas Liles Jr:
I would implement a new program to encourage more community involvement. Specifically, I would use a portion of SWMC's budget to subsidize natural mosquito fighting techniques to be picked up by individual taxpayers. For example, plants that repel mosquitoes, purple Martin houses, bat houses and other natural mosquito eliminators would be purchased by SWMC in bulk. These natural solutions would be readily available for pick up at SWMC HQ.. (at a greatly reduced price.)

------------------------

John “M&M” Magee:
We currently use a variety of pesticides all approved by the Department of Agriculture and EPA. There is not one particular product that is preferred over another. Often the selection will be determined on what specie of mosquitoes we have trapped in our traps. And as I said earlier due to the preventive maintenance that we are doing our population of mosquitoes continue to reduce.

Question 5: What would you do to lessen the number of lawsuits against the SWMC?

------------------------

Jack Douglas Liles Jr:
Based on the explosion of lawsuits against SWMC, there is a failure of leadership. In order to eliminate these 2 lawsuits, I would invite suggestions from all employees on how to make SWMC a better and more efficient workplace. I would encourage transparency in all areas and make certain that the culture of bullying and petty retaliation is eliminated.

------------------------

John “M&M” Magee:
Over the last sixteen years we have had four lawsuits, the last three were relatively back to back. These three are centered around individuals who either resigned, or was terminated for a violation of policies. Unfortunately, in the state of Florida cases of this type have to be mediated before it can go to court. Our insurance company controls the outcome and whether or not we go to court. We settled one of the lawsuits in mediation for a very low amount. The next two we will be entering in the mediation and they are both weaker cases and we are going to do our best to push for a court date. I mentioned four lawsuits. The fourth one is dealing with our one ditch that empties into the bay. The owner Doug Liles deliberately restricted us from access to the ditch to maintain. He then blocked it off with the improper culverts which created environmental problems backwash etc. Mr. Liles also did not permit this project and was shut down by the county creating a bigger pollution problem. There were many factors of what Mr. Liles wanted mosquito control to do for him for FREE and when it did not happen, he then decided to sue the district. The good part if there is one was that then our insurance company started to foot the bill. This case lingered on for several years Mr. Liles went through two lawyers and then decided to litigate himself. We were able to come to a resolution after Mr. Liles realize that we were moving forward to create a store water district. Mr. Liles realized if we became a storm water management it would then give us the authority to charge back to the land owner for damaging our ditches. I have been informed though even with this resolution where we were able to get the ditch properly flowing and maintain that there is still a question of whether or not he will allow our technicians to maintain the ditch. So as long as we live in America people can sue people. Obviously, no one likes someone who sues to sue and is proud of it!

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
Last month SWCC invited all 2020 SWMC candidates (4 total) to participate in a survey that consisted of 5 questions.

There are two candidates running for each open seat on the Board.

Seat 1 Candidates: Jack Douglas Liles Jr & John “M&M” Magee
Seat 2 Candidates: Donna Johns & Michael T. Norris

This email focuses on the survey responses from the two Seat 2 Candidates: Donna Johns & Michael T. Norris.

SWCC is sharing these candidate responses so the community can get a better understanding on each candidate’s position on various important issues in South Walton.

SEAT 2 CANDIDATE RESPONSES
Question 1: What is the most important challenge facing SWMC over the next four years, and what is your plan for addressing that challenge?
------------------------

Donna Johns:
The growth of South Walton County. The number of full-time residences is increasing dramatically, and we must ensure we’re positioned to support all citizens in the District. That includes education regarding what each individual can do to ensure they are not contributing to the problem, such as not allowing standing water in your own yard. It only takes a spoonful of water for mosquitoes to breed. We must ensure all 46 mosquito control ditches are maintained on a regular basis and not used for stormwater drainage. The SWMCD needs to create a five and perhaps even a ten-year plan with reasonable forecasts in regard to the number of mosquito control ditches that will be needed as we move forward. This would include potential location of new ditches and considering rights of way for those ditches.

------------------------

Michael T. Norris:
I believe the most pressing need for SWMC is to begin construction of our new administration building as well as our the rest of our campus. With Hurricane Sally this week, we have flooded for the 2nd time in just five years. With the substantial growth of the county, we need to focus on protecting our residents, not worrying about rebuilding and repairing from flooding.

Question 2: Does untreated stormwater flow directly into the bay? If so, how should it be managed in the future? Do you support a new South Walton stormwater management District taxing district?

------------------------

Donna Johns:
Absolutely. Walton County ordinances regarding stormwater drainage must be adhered to by every developer. Each year we see more and more flooding in our neighborhoods and along the major roads. These flooded areas become mosquito breeding ground. No, I do not. I don’t believe in another layer of government and taxes. Enforce the current ordinances, and make them stricter to include the evolving needs, if necessary.

------------------------

Michael T. Norris:
Not to my knowledge, but I would guess that it is a strong possibility. I suggest you consult with Walton County Health Dept. and CBA – Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance. These organizations take official measurements and samples. I am not in favor of a tax increases, but in growing areas, counties need to consider their storm water management practices to protect property, water resources and the environment.

Question 3: How would you improve SWMC’s existing spray program to make it safer and more effective?

------------------------

Donna Johns:
I would review options that are working in other areas. If something is working well, it’s certainly worth looking into rather than spending tax dollars reinventing the wheel. New insecticides are being introduced on a frequent basis which are more effective, environmentally friendly, and less costly. We need to stay on top of the science both to protect our citizens and improve operation of the SWMCD.

------------------------

Michael T. Norris:
Our Adulticide spray and Larvacide programs are constantly being evaluated for improvement with modern technology. All products we use go through extensive testing and are approved by the EPA. We continue to evaluate other methods as they are introduced, i.e. botanical products. etc.

Question 4: What best practices from other Mosquito Control Districts would you implement to mitigate South Walton’s mosquito population?
------------------------

Donna Johns:
There has been substantial testing of GMO (genetically modified) mosquitoes. Once this program is implemented in South Florida, it may very well be a better way to eradicate mosquitoes. It’s certainly worth looking into. Also, improved education of the public on how to prevent increases in the mosquito population needs to become a priority in our District.

------------------------

Michael T. Norris:
We consult with other larger districts and universities to get additional information to help SWMC in our growth, to help modernize our equipment, and to offer up to date training for our employees.

Question 5: What would you do to lessen the number of lawsuits against the SWMC?

------------------------

Donna Johns:
Problems, personnel concerns, and citizens’ complaints must be addressed efficiently and effectively. It is absolutely absurd to allow important issues to go on for years unaddressed. Things like the killing of raccoons, either by drowning or shooting, would not be tolerated. That was an item of concern in one of the recent lawsuits against SWMCD. Utilize animal control to safely remove them, but don’t kill innocent creatures.

------------------------

Michael T. Norris:
We continually make changes to enhance the agency’s environment in positive ways. Sometimes frivolous law suits occur and you must deal with those.