• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
In order to dissolve the TDC one would have to convince a minimum of 3 county commissioners to repeal the following section of the Walton County Code or convince them to place a binding referendum on a ballot for a vote to repeal those sections and thereby dissolve the TDC.

Chapter 19 -Taxation - Tourist Development Council
Sec. 19-26. - Levy; collection and remittance.
Sec. 19-27. - Use of funds; adoption of tourist development plan.
Sec. 19-28. - Tourist development council.
Sec. 19-29. - Additional tax levied.
Sec. 19-30. - Use of funds.
Sec. 19-31. - Applicability.
Sec. 19-32. - Failure to collect.
Sec. 19-33. - Prohibited.
Sec. 19-34. - Lien.
Sec. 19-35. - Additional half percent tourist development tax. (Imposed for 5 years beginning Oct 1, 2009)

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Although the TDC has made some bonehead moves from signs to songs, I think they provide our area a service and maybe its time to replace those that are appointed for the oversight of the TDC.

BeachNBay

Beach Crab
Jan 3, 2012
So much negativity makes doing anything, including eventalking "WITH," entirely unappealing. That's why I appreciate Kurt'sinput and objective grasp of the issues. 2011 was a vital year of recovery andas a community we need 2012 to continue on that path. BTW only the first fewmonths will be impacted by BP grant support... after that we are on our own, sonew/successful ideas will be invaluable! Let’s put our energy there.

Though I've lost and gained;
I don't need the meaning;
If you feel estranged;
This is the place. :blink:
This is the first time I've had a chance to read this thread. South Walton is the place for us, yet it has nothing to do with the chorus. Yes, I realize that in logic, A → B is not equivalent to B → A. But I wonder how many people share the sentiments in the chorus and thus like South Walton? :dunno:

There are so many positive attributes of South Walton that aren't mentioned in this song. It's just not very inspiring. Sorry to be critical.

BTW Shelly, your South Walton song is hilarious!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
One must understand the responsibilities granted to the TDC and it's Advisory Board to fully understand the process involved in promoting south Walton as a tourist destination.

We are truly a county dependent on tourism to drive this local economy.

Most understand the objective very well.

The legislation authorizing the collection of "bedtaxes" specifically limits the expenditures to defined purposes and provides for governance of how the collected funds are expended. The advisory board has the responsibilites described in Walton County ordinances as listed below.

Walton County Code - Section 19-28 – Tourist development council

(a) Established.

There is hereby established, pursuant to the provisions of F.S. § 125.0104, an advisory council to be known as the county tourist development council. Appointments to the county tourist development council have been made by resolution, and are hereby ratified and affirmed.

(b) Duties generally.

The council established by this section shall, from time to time, make recommendations to the board of county commissioners for the effective operation of the uses of the tourist development tax revenue raised by the tax levied by this article, and may perform such other duties or functions as may be prescribed by ordinance or resolution.

(c) Review of expenditures.

The council shall continuously review all expenditures of revenue raised by the tax levied by this article, and shall report to the board of county commissioners all expenditures of the revenue believed to be unauthorized by the provisions of this article. The board of county commissioners, upon receiving notification of expenditures believed to be unauthorized by the council, shall review the council's findings and take such administrative or judicial action as it sees fit to ensure compliance with this article and the provisions of F.S. § 125.0104.

Before one casts blame on either the process or the advisory board for items they believe to be outside the authority of either body requires a look at "the process" by which governance is provided.

"Destination Marketing" is a highly competitive endeavor made even more competitive with the large influx of "BP Dollars" to make the area whole after the devastating impact on our local economy. One must remember that those dollars will end and we must once again "stand on our own feet". One must only hope that we utilize every dollar to produce sustainable visitor levels. Everyone will never agree on each project funded, but must have a reasonable expectation that those appointed to the advisory council fulfill their responsibility of review and oversight.

In order for that to happen they must be actively involved in the process of selection of projects as recommended by the "marketing agency". They are the "local experts" who look at those recommendations to insure that they fit within the unique south Walton mantra. They are the ones that are there to prevent "Big Blue Signs" that a marketing agency in South Carolina may believe help "brand the area" but local residents and bedtax collectors feel do not represent our unique area.

The TDC advisory council only became aware of the "south Walton song" expenditure after the contract had been signed and the check written, thereby bypassing the local input that is provided for within the statute creating the TDC.

They now only meet 4 times a year and in the fast moving game of chess being played to restore tourism in our county and surronding markets they are effectively now limited to being notified of expenditures after the fact.

This limitation is of concern to those that remember that the previous council meet monthly.

Kurt is correct in his statement that the BP funds will be spent.

Kurt's question seeking ideas on how the money should be spent causes me to ask "how have we spent the funds" up until this point. Did the TDC council review those expenditure to balance the affect of the expenditure against the impact on on our unique area and exactly how did we spend those dollars.

I will seek a accounting of all expenditure's from the BP funds.

I'm sure there will be some I agree with and some I will not, but my driving question will be "did the TDC Council have input into the approval process" not simply notified after the fact.

It is my hope that the meeting pattern will be changed to fully involve the TDC advisory board in the process before the fact rather than after the fact.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I agree with everything Dave said.To me, it is downright scary to think the "powers that be" are suppressing negative news, especially if that news could affect my safety or well-being. The other part of the discussion we are dancing around is censorship of any criticism of the TDC and BCC. I think that the people, both residents and tourists, that are attracted to this place, are attracted because, for lack of a better word, it is a healthy place, physically, spiritually, and mentally. In order for a community to stay healthy, it has to have constant, constructive debate on the issues it is not getting correct. I hope this site remains one of the primary ways we can converse, and yes, argue and debate, in order to correct the ongoing ills that might make us less attractive to others in the future.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Now that the TDC has announced blockbuster revenues from occupancy, can SOMEBODY please convince them to use their new windfall to record Shelly's song and use it as a 'B side' for Hoff's $200k sortasowal tune and press some highly prized 45's? I'm guessing it could be done much cheaper if we got some locals involved.