• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sambuca26

Beach Comber
Jan 15, 2007
Paula - Mermaid,

Thanks so much for the advice. Trying to get a feel for what the locals think. Your advice is appreciated. We plan to spend a week in April in your area to relax and look around. We are very familiar with SanDestin, Seaside, Alys, Watercolor, Rosemary, etc. What areas do you recommend we see with regards to real estate? What other areas should we go to to have fun?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We live near the bay, north of 98. I think we will really appreciate our location during the vacation season- already I have noticed that it is a quick escape from the traffic! Also, there seems to be mostly full time residents in our area.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Paula - Mermaid,

Thanks so much for the advice. Trying to get a feel for what the locals think. Your advice is appreciated. We plan to spend a week in April in your area to relax and look around. We are very familiar with SanDestin, Seaside, Alys, Watercolor, Rosemary, etc. What areas do you recommend we see with regards to real estate? What other areas should we go to to have fun?

Sambuca, you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself! Spend your week in April, enjoy it, soak it in...and return as often as you can. Trust me, you'll get a feel for what you like soon enough and then everything will fall in place. Nothing in SoWal is so far apart that you can't visit at least a few times!

I'd also read this board. You can pick up a lot on the different forums.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sambuca: I'm a lazy SoWaller when I get there and I just love to stay at our place, beach, pool, see friends, go to restaurants. We don't get there very much right now, so I figure I'll have years to do everything else in SoWal starting in about 5 years, so I'm just enjoying laying low and completely relaxing (reading books with my tea and scone in the morning at the beach or on the porch -- I highly recommend a place with a porch -- and spending sunset on the beach with friends/family is pretty thrilling to me). Now Mermaid does a LOT more stuff and I, too, will join her in her adventures some day -- biking, kayaking.

If I were you, I'd book a week and stay with the family at each of the places you're interested in.

You must be having funn with this decision about where to buy a place in SoWal!

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
I do agree with you thinking that the market will bottom out this year. Many people on this board are at opposite end of the spectrum as I've noticed. If I had to choose between the 3 I would take Watercolor over the other 2 any day of the week. There are plenty of deals out there right now with sellers needing to deal (For whatever reason). I think Watercolor is the best long-term investment by far. Alys and Rosemary are not geared toward children in the same way that Watercolor is. Also, the proximity to Destin would be a consideration for me.

Josh,
I politely take issue with the way you are supposedly stating facts - what you are writing is just an opinion as is what I am writing. Many people will disagree with your assessment that Watercolor is BY FAR the best long term investment. I really like WC and think it is a very desirable to live. I also know many people who feel the exact same way about Rosemary and Alys.
Rosemary Beach has many full time residents all of whom would take exception to your saying that the community if not geared towards children. And they would add that what is happening is Panama City may be as desirable and possibly more so than Destin, even if for right now PCB does not have the same amenities.
All 3 neighborhoods: WC, RB and AB have their positives and it will ultimately be decisions of private preferences. And once you live here long enough you thankfully realize that the these communities are fluid and moving back and forth between them is not only fun but is constantly done. I have 2 kids and we float all year round between a number of these communities (not only the 3 you mention) and love the fact that the variety in terms of architecture, landscape and amenities varies.
Thank you.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Sambuca, you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself! Spend your week in April, enjoy it, soak it in...and return as often as you can. Trust me, you'll get a feel for what you like soon enough and then everything will fall in place. Nothing in SoWal is so far apart that you can't visit at least a few times!

I'd also read this board. You can pick up a lot on the different forums.

I completely agre with Mango -hang around, enjoy yourself and you will define for yourself what you are attracted to and where you would maybe want to live if you moved here or invested here.

I am not sure why so many people want to pit communities against each other or talk about relative values- we thankfully have choices here in prices as well as locations and that is a good thing!!

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Josh,
I politely take issue with the way you are supposedly stating facts - what you are writing is just an opinion as is what I am writing. Many people will disagree with your assessment that Watercolor is BY FAR the best long term investment. I really like WC and think it is a very desirable to live. I also know many people who feel the exact same way about Rosemary and Alys.
Rosemary Beach has many full time residents all of whom would take exception to your saying that the community if not geared towards children. And they would add that what is happening is Panama City may be as desirable and possibly more so than Destin, even if for right now PCB does not have the same amenities.
All 3 neighborhoods: WC, RB and AB have their positives and it will ultimately be decisions of private preferences. And once you live here long enough you thankfully realize that the these communities are fluid and moving back and forth between them is not only fun but is constantly done. I have 2 kids and we float all year round between a number of these communities (not only the 3 you mention) and love the fact that the variety in terms of architecture, landscape and amenities varies.
Thank you.

My thoughts exactly!:love:

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
You need to read all of my posts again. They are all opinion. That's my "I think" is used a lot as is IMO. People on this board are so jumpy. Please read thoroughly before you begin to criticize other's posts.
Thank you

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Josh,
Thank you.

I don't really understand what point you are making with quoting me on this. Please feel free to elaborate. Also, when I ask someone for an opinion I expect an opinion. Sambuca clearly said which of the 3 would you rather live in? I clearly stated an answer and my thoughts on why. i'm sorry that I have a logical way of thinking. I rather not respond by saying...Follow your feelings Sambuca, All 3 are great, You can travel to all 3. Wow, how general can you be? What does fluidity between the 3 communities have anything to do with choosing one of the communites as a residence? I'm honestly not trying to attack anyone, but would just like an explanation.