And the NO VOTE has it!!

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Misty, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Misty

Misty Banned

It's unfortunate that it took this referendum to get people's attention to the situation to start with. For years the WCSD has floated along on a hope and a prayer that no one would start looking into what's been going on right under your noses.

For years WCSD meetings were poorly attended and teachers who could have made a difference long ago remained silent in fear of job loss or other repercussions. That's not apt to change anytime soon whether or not the Super was hired or elected.

If you work for the government in Walton County you keep your mouth shut and you keep your job.

If the No's have anything to thank the Yes Camp for, it is for bringing much needed attention to a monster that's run a muck to long.

So much for this not being a North/South issue eh?

2. Cuff

Cuff Beach Lover

So Walton County will still require the supt of schools to run for office as a political candidate ? Never mind the children .

3. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

And more than likely the candidate that will be blessed with funding from the usual sources and will be the queen's hand picked candidate. My guess is Sonya Alford, the HR director and wife of the Clerk of Courts. A real political insider.

4. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

The next candidate will be Carlene Anderson. She told a tv station yesterday she would reconsider her decision to retire if the NO vote won. Guess she figured she would be unqualified to get appointed.

And Misty, Jdarg was stating a FACT about where the county gets its money. If the north does want our involvement, they should refuse our money.

5. PJJ

PJJ Beach Lover

NWFL Daily News

“I think a lot of people were suspicious this was a small group of people in South Walton pushing an agenda,” said Art Miller, one of the vocal opponents to the referendum. “I just don’t think they bought the whole argument kids before politics.”

6. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Voters north of HWY 20 voting NO 87.2%

Voters on the coast voting NO 51.8%

Voters in precincts that HWY 20 transects voting NO 72.2%

Obviously, selling 'no' north of the bay was easy. If there is any consolation in our coastal performance, it is that 'no' put substantial money and effort, under the direct supervision of some of the most notorious good ol' boys, and Yes fought them to a draw. :up:

7. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

The election is over and regardless of what the voter's said, they obviously do not understand how a good school district functions. That is a sad situation but then it is one of the risks we run by being a republic. Anyone qualified to do so can vote. All votes count. Even the misinformed and uninformed ones and those supplied by some who have no inkling of what an issue is about.

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

The Art Millers of this campaign now need to step up and put as much time and effort in holding our school system, particularly the district office, accountable for all actions. They think things are all peachy? I challenge them to really participate in education issues and not just just mount a campaign based on inaccurate assumptions about people who actually tried to raise the bar for everyone, misinformation, and misplaced patriotism (which I'm sorry we didn't grab that one first- nothing like covering up the real issue with a flag).

So it's back to the way things have always been done in Walton County, but I predict not for long. The Art Millers of the world are like dinosaurs, and they know it, or else they wouldn't have worked so hard to defeat an educational referendum.

9. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

The people have spoken and in my opinion it is attitudes like yours that rub folks the wrong way. You basically think everyone who voted against your position is wrong and that your way is the only correct way. Unfortunately the referendum didn't pass, and I hope folks were able to understand the issue within our schools whether they voted for or against the referendum. I hope because of this, folks will work to find solutions and continue to participate to make our schools better.

To Jdarg, I think you did an awesome job and I know there were folks who worked with you. I truly believe that because of your actions you have started the idea that things can be better. Thanks

10. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Thanks Bob. Now that the election is over, it will be interesting to see who continues to advocate for teachers, students, attend meetings, volunteer at schools, etc. My prediction it will continue to be those who supported the YES referendum. I will be back at our daughter's school, ECMS, volunteering and working with the Parent Advisory Council Team, as will our many supporters at schools all over Walton County. It's what we do when we don't have to participate in silly Walton County political games.

11. teacher's aide

teacher's aide Beach Comber

What is unfortunate is that every candidate or issue endorsed by the educators of this county were defeated. What educators must do is continue to organize and build up the financial strength to really help our candidates like the firefighters did for Jones. Of course we want to keep our process open and aboveboard and keep the interests of the teachers and students at the forefront. As with the salary negotiations, setbacks and adversity only help you get stronger. We must find a way to coordinate our efforts throughout the county. Leddon and Glidewell won north of the bay while Roberts won south of the Bay. Had we been able to promote these candidates throughout the county maybe the results would be different. Finally, prayers for Mr. Barnhill going forward.

12. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Imagine the battle when SoWal incorporates and votes to keep all the bed tax dollars.

13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I wish I had kept an accurate count of how many people mentioned incorporating South Walton in the last week alone. There are a lot of rumblings, and people looking into the process. The election results will certainly light a fire under quite a few.

14. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

With a charm offensive like that, how could you possibly have lost?

15. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

The no bunch is celebrating because elected superintendents are cheaper than appointed ones. Entry level teachers are cheaper than experienced, better educated teachers too. This, I supposed is what the no people want for our children. Maybe they'd also like entry level firefighters too if their houses were to catch on fire. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

16. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

soooo happy I made in back in the country just in time for the gnashing of teeth and the pointing of fingers and the hand wringing

Union Tool, the union was once again proved impotent and useless yet you think the answer is more union? That's laughable, just take your dues money and use it just like toilet paper and it will be equally effective, don't paint educators as homogenous drones when what you mean is union sheep.

17. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

Finally you figured it out. The people spoke and they rejected the idea of allowing the union to choose and to make sure their votes still count.

18. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

yep, and the people saw what they were going to be paying for and rejected it despite the arrogance of you and others about it

19. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Not arrogance, just hopeful that the improbable would happen. I predicted the outcome of the election and referendum. All I can do is vote. The candidates with the big money won and I accept it.

20. Misty

Misty Banned

South Walton has tried (or at the very least, talked the talk) to incorporate before. It's not going to happen.