• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Would someone please lead me to the post that says those in the South part of the county should stop paying taxes? There may be talk of the South incorporating but that is a long way from saying we should quit paying taxes because the referendum was defeated.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Sorry folks, I must have missed something. If you incorporate the unincorporated area south of the bridge you will pay more taxes, on top of the county and school taxes we already pay. I am not as opposed to it as much as I was but I am not sure what we can gain from incorporation. As for the TDC I am not sure that an incorporated south Walton would be able to do anything with it.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I'm totally with the yes people, but man did they do a piss poor job of selling the idea. You would think people so concerned with education would spend more time trying to educate the electorate, patiently I might add. That's not how it happened.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Other than this website, there was really no discussion whatsoever. We live in a rather odd situation where we have no newspaper, no television station, and probably a modicum of interested people who venture onto this website. There were probably twenty participants on this subject on Sowal. The vote certainly reflected that.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
soooo happy I made in back in the country just in time for the gnashing of teeth and the pointing of fingers and the hand wringing

Union Tool, the union was once again proved impotent and useless yet you think the answer is more union? That's laughable, just take your dues money and use it just like toilet paper and it will be equally effective, don't paint educators as homogenous drones when what you mean is union sheep.

You are too funny. Obviously when you can hide its easy to say things you are afraid to say face to face...

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
You are too funny. Obviously when you can hide its easy to say things you are afraid to say face to face...

why are Union stooges always pretending to be so tough?
yet they pay money every paycheck to be protected
because they are afraid to be an individual

save your tough guy act gramps, you're a trivial fool who lost big time

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Other than this website, there was really no discussion whatsoever. We live in a rather odd situation where we have no newspaper, no television station, and probably a modicum of interested people who venture onto this website. There were probably twenty participants on this subject on Sowal. The vote certainly reflected that.

The candidates who ran including those who were defeated wouldn't even discuss the issue or why they were for or against it. The only thing I saw in the paper was the editorial from Art Miller who I felt articulated himself well as to why he was against it.

All I've heard people say about him here (likening those of us opposed to it for whatever reason as "Art Miller wannabes") is that we are somehow never-do-wells who think things are just peachy and the school board shouldn't be held accountable or that the NO's are somehow responsible for all that's currently wrong with the school system.

The South end of the county and its residents are just as guilty of complacency and the ills the school district is currently facing as the north ever dreamed of being. Hell, I remember a conversation on Brawlers where people actually said they didn't know they pay a lions share of taxes to the school district. How could they not know? Look at your damn tax statements for cripes sake.

The South also didn't ask for meetings to once again be held in the South end of the County UNTIL all the problems including pay raises for teachers reared its ugly head and you folks were damn sure not attending meetings in the north end which have been very poorly attended for almost 20 YEARS. Then overnight you raise up a referendum with little or no questions asked with the WCTA's help and anyone who dared question your actions or ask legitimate questions who might have been the slightest bit inclined toward voting yes were shot down without reasonable answers. Yes, myself included. Bulldozing your way to a successful referendum wasn't your strong suit. Trying to get it done in less than a few months from the time you went before the BCC until the actual vote didn't help TEACH people what you were trying to do either.

The air of superiority wasn't pleasant nor is the attitude that "we pay the majority of taxes, stop taking our money if we can't be involved". The North end of the county may be piss poor but we helped build your schools, bridges and all the lovely accoutrements that so many of you call "Our Beloved South Walton" and our kids, grand kids and even adults make the trip to work on the beaches and other menial jobs because there are no jobs to speak of here in the North, unless of course you work for the County.

So while we are busy up here in the North end savoring our little victory perhaps you folks in the South end might want to think about how you could have gone about this differently and enlightened people rather than trying to ram this one down our throats.

It was a very small victory I'll grant you that and it's far from over given what we elected this go round. But, you're right jdarg, there is much more to come and if you think it was ugly before just wait...

Last edited:

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
And the North stops sending drinking water south of the bay. No matter how much you pat yourselves on the backs for being so special, no water, means no property values.

You're not 'sending' anything anywhere, Regional paid 25-30 million to buy the water rights and implement it's delivery, it belongs to them. if you have that kind of cash just pay off whatever they want for it now (a lot more) and you can keep every drop. You need their tax revenue more than they need your particular water

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Actually the only candidate we supported won. Big talk for a guy who hides behind a moniker.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
i'm totally with the yes people, but man did they do a piss poor job of selling the idea. You would think people so concerned with education would spend more time trying to educate the electorate, patiently i might add. That's not how it happened.

totally agree with this post!! Kudos!!