• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
At that time there really was no EM. They were trying to get it set up. My Grandfather had been the Civil Defense Director and they were making the transition to Emergency Management. All of this was under the BCC. Barker along with several others applied and he was hired to set up that department and to put into place the 911 system, which QA had attempted but did not get done.

If Chapman made the call, so what? He did not do anything that a Father would not have done under similar circumstances. Do not fault the guy cause he happens to have or can get a phone number. If there was a breakdown in policy, that would have occurred at the jail. Asking for a guy to be fired because he did what a Father would do is ludicrous.

Friends or not. Quit using yellow journalism tactics and speak facts. As always there are two sides to everything. And yes I support the Sheriff, the stuff I have seen happen over the years, Mike has a long ways to go before he would ever lose my support, and based on his character, I do not see that ever happening.

Wrobert, please don't tell me you think this was right. Joe Citizen would not get anywhere near the same treatment and you know it. The Sheriff should have spoke out against it and disciplined anyone on his payroll who was involved.
And the handling of the Barker affair (no pun intended) was terrible. You can't seriously tell me that you agreed with that.
As to this incident, I agree the onus is on the jail and whoever made the call. Maybe now that you have re-elected Ms Commander you can get her to go in and clean this up.

happydays32

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2010
Recall Election For Sheriff's Race

Yes. Another Big Boy Sheriff Adkinson campaign promise down the toilet. He promised us a transparent administration devoid of corruption. What a joke. The Department's number-two man has his son arrested on a serious assault charge, and a circuit judge comes in late at night to post a bond. Believe me, if it was your son or mine it would be wait for first-appearance within 24-hours of arrest.
oh yes, the sheriff wants the keys to take back the jail which his predecessor gave back to the county. If the Walton Co. Commission gives him the jail back which Adkinson wants they'll be putting family, friends and political supporters back on the street after arrest so fast it'll make your head spin.
Another reason, this I "never" served in the military Sheriff has troubling issues being our top county law enforcement official.

Osprey

Beach Comber
Sep 6, 2010
Double standard for Walton

This really has nothing to do with the Sheriff's Office unless it is shown that someone employed there called and asked for the "special hearing."

But the actions of the jail are appalling and someone should be disciplined for allowing this to happen. After Chapman wrote the report awhile back on the jail you would think he would be the last person to get a favor. But this is Walton County we are talking about and I suspect there was a deal made somewhere.

Actually this has nothing to do with the jail either. The judge held first appearance and let him go. If you are close friends with the judge he would probably get up in the middle of the night for you. Chapman did what any parent would do. The jail personnell has to do what the judge says. The judge can do first appearance whenever he chooses. Florida Statutes says they cannot release a picture of a former LEO. So who you gonna blame? Sounds like everyone followed the law.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Another reason, this I "never" served in the military Sheriff has troubling issues being our top county law enforcement official.

Kudos to all who serve in the military, but what in the world does having or not having served in the military got to do with being Sheriff?

And yeah, there is a lot of info that is not publically available when dealing with a law enforcement family. We learned the hard way not to ever lose a car title...:roll:

Actually this has nothing to do with the jail either. The judge held first appearance and let him go. If you are close friends with the judge he would probably get up in the middle of the night for you. Chapman did what any parent would do. The jail personnell has to do what the judge says. The judge can do first appearance whenever he chooses. Florida Statutes says they cannot release a picture of a former LEO. So who you gonna blame? Sounds like everyone followed the law.

Have you ever heard of the 14th Amendment? Equal treatment under the law? Or maybe misuse of an official position? Can you honestly say that it is right for one person to get released on their signature and another person get a bond for thousands of dollars for the same charge?
As far as the jail, every news report says that no one from the Sheriff's Office made the call to the Judge. The reports say the JAIL called the judge because they feared for Chapman's safety. WTH? Either the Sheriff's Office lied or the jail made the call. Either way it is wrong. If the jail cannot keep someone overnight without them getting hurt somebody needs to be investigating.

Aleigh

Beach Lover
Have you ever heard of the 14th Amendment? Equal treatment under the law? Or maybe misuse of an official position? Can you honestly say that it is right for one person to get released on their signature and another person get a bond for thousands of dollars for the same charge?
As far as the jail, every news report says that no one from the Sheriff's Office made the call to the Judge. The reports say the JAIL called the judge because they feared for Chapman's safety. WTH? Either the Sheriff's Office lied or the jail made the call. Either way it is wrong. If the jail cannot keep someone overnight without them getting hurt somebody needs to be investigating.

:clap:Now that's what I'm talking about... so who posted the bail and how much :? Details.... I seek more info on this... "Number 5 is alive... feed me feed me.

Osprey

Beach Comber
Sep 6, 2010
another walton double standard

Yes I know what the 14th amendments says and I am not saying this was right but it was beyond the control of the jail if the Judge allowed it. The jail does not enforce the law the SO does and I don't think anyone at the jail would have the gall to call the judge in the middle of the night even if they had his number and please don't base your assumptions on a news report. For instance the news report says that Chapman was taking heat the day after, how do they know?

O does.

Yes I know what the 14th amendments says and I am not saying this was right but it was beyond the control of the jail if the Judge allowed it. The jail does not enforce the law the SO does and I don't think anyone at the jail would have the gall to call the judge in the middle of the night even if they had his number and please don't base your assumptions on a news report. For instance the news report says that Chapman was taking heat the day after, how do they know?

O does.

I heard on Channel 7 news that the jail is in trouble for releasing the photo of a deputy arrested last month and then refusing to release Chapman's photo. They were apparently wrong to release the other photo by Florida Statute. But it is funny they only figured out what the law is when it suited them. The reporter also said that no one from the jail would speak to them on orders of Lyle Seigler, county administrator. WTH? You would think public servants could at least speak about important issues to the press. They always spoke to the press when Ronnie Bell and Chris Mitchell were around. Guess not now huh?