• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Wrobert, please don't tell me you think this was right. Joe Citizen would not get anywhere near the same treatment and you know it. The Sheriff should have spoke out against it and disciplined anyone on his payroll who was involved.
And the handling of the Barker affair (no pun intended) was terrible. You can't seriously tell me that you agreed with that.
As to this incident, I agree the onus is on the jail and whoever made the call. Maybe now that you have re-elected Ms Commander you can get her to go in and clean this up.

The Sheriff is a constitutional officer who gets to clean up his own messes, if he sees them as that.

I do not know if the same set of circumstances could apply to Joe Citizen. Just by GC being a former leo, sort of sets things off to be different from the beginning.

I do not see anything for the Sheriff to discipline.

As with most things, there are always two sides to everything. I find it aggravating when elected officials choose not to fully disclose the whole story, I have seen several do this in the past because it does give credence to a single opinion, but I trust that the Sheriff knows what he is is doing.

Thanks but Sara Comander still has one more election in November to get past. So contributions are appreciated. Let me know if you need the address.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Yes. Another Big Boy Sheriff Adkinson campaign promise down the toilet. He promised us a transparent administration devoid of corruption. What a joke. The Department's number-two man has his son arrested on a serious assault charge, and a circuit judge comes in late at night to post a bond. Believe me, if it was your son or mine it would be wait for first-appearance within 24-hours of arrest.
oh yes, the sheriff wants the keys to take back the jail which his predecessor gave back to the county. If the Walton Co. Commission gives him the jail back which Adkinson wants they'll be putting family, friends and political supporters back on the street after arrest so fast it'll make your head spin.
Another reason, this I "never" served in the military Sheriff has troubling issues being our top county law enforcement official.

There are no provisions in Florida statute or State Constitution for a recall election of the Sheriff in Walton County.

Just because you may not like how something happens does not make it corrupt. Blaming the Sheriff for this incident, which as far as I can tell has absolutely nothing to do with him, is absurd.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Have you ever heard of the 14th Amendment? Equal treatment under the law? Or maybe misuse of an official position? Can you honestly say that it is right for one person to get released on their signature and another person get a bond for thousands of dollars for the same charge?
As far as the jail, every news report says that no one from the Sheriff's Office made the call to the Judge. The reports say the JAIL called the judge because they feared for Chapman's safety. WTH? Either the Sheriff's Office lied or the jail made the call. Either way it is wrong. If the jail cannot keep someone overnight without them getting hurt somebody needs to be investigating.

Maybe the Judge is the one that signed the warrant. All former and current LEOs appear to be treated the same so what is the beef?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Actually this has nothing to do with the jail either. The judge held first appearance and let him go. If you are close friends with the judge he would probably get up in the middle of the night for you. Chapman did what any parent would do. The jail personnell has to do what the judge says. The judge can do first appearance whenever he chooses. Florida Statutes says they cannot release a picture of a former LEO. So who you gonna blame? Sounds like everyone followed the law.

They may have followed the letter of the law, but it's still special treatment and not cool IMO.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Thanks but Sara Comander still has one more election in November to get past. So contributions are appreciated. Let me know if you need the address.

I thought there was no Democratic challenger - who is she running against in November?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Yes. Another Big Boy Sheriff Adkinson campaign promise down the toilet. He promised us a transparent administration devoid of corruption. What a joke. The Department's number-two man has his son arrested on a serious assault charge, and a circuit judge comes in late at night to post a bond. Believe me, if it was your son or mine it would be wait for first-appearance within 24-hours of arrest.
oh yes, the sheriff wants the keys to take back the jail which his predecessor gave back to the county. If the Walton Co. Commission gives him the jail back which Adkinson wants they'll be putting family, friends and political supporters back on the street after arrest so fast it'll make your head spin.
Another reason, this I "never" served in the military Sheriff has troubling issues being our top county law enforcement official.

From what I am seeing in the news, action has been taken.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So, some sembelance of the truth has finally emerged, but before that there was what appears to be a lie. Some form of punishment is handed down, but these are a positions of trust. When he fired the deputy in the beginning it was because they brought discredit to the department, now its different because there was only a demotion.