• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Question for all. The area to the left{west} of the north end of 331 Bridge, Bay Grove Road, is this a desireable area for land investment/building a home? The portion of the road on the bay, facing south/west, is this area high or do wetlands abound? Are there mobile homes mixed with single family detached houses? Is the tree canopy in the area impressive as in the Eden area of Point Washington. Thank you for any feedback!

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Disclaimer: I am a Realtor and I live on Bay Grove Road.

Bay Grove is considered by many to be the premier area in Freeport, we love it. It is a tale of two roads, however. The south end of the road, on the bay, is lower and homes did flood during Ivan, and heavy rains fill yards. It is a mix of old fishing camps and newer, very nice homes (this is changing quickly, the fishcamps are on their way out.) There are more pines than hardwoods. The view of the sunset on the bay is incredible!

Further north, as the road turns along LaGrange and Mallet Bayous, the homes are more uniform, no trailers or fishcamps. There are many more old oaks and hardwoods (though no Eden Gardens,) and the land is higher- we had water in our yard from Ivan, but it got nowhere near any of the homes. Rain will fill the drainage ditches, but doesn't flood the yards so much. The bayous are also protected from the winds, even with a 15 knot wind our bayou is calm (mostly.)

I have seen values rise rapidly over the last 3 years on Bay Grove, and really expect that to continue, though how much is debatable. It gets down to the water, people will always want it and Bay Grove has some of the best around. Unlike the south side of the bay, the water is deeper. We have 3 foot year round depth at our dock, so most boats can navigate it. Mallet Bayou is also a total no-wake zone, so we don't get the jet-skiers out back.

Hope that helps.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
RiverOtter said:
Is the 3' depth generally what most homes on the bay have?

No, the homes on the bay side have a shallower depth a ways out. I have found that it is around 1.5- 2 feet.

chrisv said:
No, the homes on the bay side have a shallower depth a ways out. I have found that it is around 1.5- 2 feet.

:shock: Yikes! Are you saying the bay houses, Destin, Freeport, Niceville, Santa Rosa... average 1.5 to 2'? Is it better to look for a Bayou or Canal home if you are a boater?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
RiverOtter said:
:shock: Yikes! Are you saying the bay houses, Destin, Freeport, Niceville, Santa Rosa... average 1.5 to 2'? Is it better to look for a Bayou or Canal home if you are a boater?

Quite often - first question to ask "is it deep water?" - then ask how deep and how often. Water is much shallower in the winter also.

kurt said:
Quite often - first question to ask "is it deep water?" - then ask how deep and how often. Water is much shallower in the winter also.

Just had this conversation w/ SJ. My idea of "deep water" is 6-8'. Sounds like 3-4' deep in the Bay is "deep water" :blink: . Better get interested in an outboard :D