Bear spotted in Grayton Beach State Park

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Kurt Lischka, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

My friend David D just called and said he saw one running across 30A, south toward the campground. Time to start tying food up in the trees and securing all garbage at GBSP.

2. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

Awww,Yogi.

3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

the other day while walking trails in the Pt Washington woods, I started thinking about the black bears of SoWal - recently spotted here and there. eeek. made me a tad walk faster!

4. kkddbb

kkddbb Banned

im on the pt washington trails all the time and bears arent the only things to keep an eye out for..... be cautious this time of year. but than again, i fear the hunters more than their prey

5. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

me too.
    on a recent run i came upon a momma sow and 10-15 little piglets.
    she was not happy about having to move her arse.
    those little one sure did look tasty though.;-)

6. Teresa

very true! I guess I've lived here so long I no longer worry much about snakes, gators (some trails run next to prime gator country back near my hood), and other wildlife. I know they do not want anything to do with me any more than I do with them. I guess I have never thought of black bears being one of those animals I just might see some day up close. saw one ages ago in Indian Pass digging in a dumpster - but I was safe in my car.

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

We could always consider putting some poison in an airplane sprayer and kill em.

(sarcasm off)

8. DavidD

DavidD Beach Fanatic

Sorry it took me until this morning to talk about the bear sighting. Thanks Kurt for posting it.
    Yesterday about 6:30 pm I was driving past the park entrance on 30A and not too far before the bridge (I think near the Ranger house), I spotted a medium/large sized black animal lope quickly across the street, heading south. At first I thought it was a giant, ungroomed, black standard poodle, or some kind of dog, but it wasn't running quite right and it had larger hind quarters. Then I realized it was a bear! I was blown away. I've lived here for about 14 years and have seen lots of animals (deer, coyote, fox, beaver, pigs, snakes) but this is my first bear sighting.
    As soon as it crossed the road and went a little ways into the brush it stopped to hide. I drove back and spotted it again for a second before it hid deeper in the bushes.
    I know that some people might freak out at a bear sighting, but I am glad to see wildlife still thriving in SoWal. The last beaver I saw near/on 30A was almost 10 years ago (and it was roadkill).

9. Teresa

awesome davidd!

I always love seeing the deer - but fear for them as well. I love seeing the wildlife - they belong right here. gators, coyotes, along with dolphin and herons.. . love 'em.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

That is exactly how I felt when we saw the bear near cr 395. It's just amazing!:D

11. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Realtors and Mexicans disappearing, bears appearing. hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

12. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I have a bad feeling that unless something is done quickly these poor animals might end up on the nuisance list and we all know what that means. Fish and Game or whoever needs to be aware that these animals are increasing in presence around here and start educating the public about securing garbage and dumpsters. They have a pretty good food supply around here without the dumpsters but add about 20 restaurant left-over laden dumpsters sitting there open all might and you have the makings of a disaster. I am not sure if bear proof dumpsters are available in this area but someone might want to look into it before it gets really bad around here.

13. DavidD

DavidD Beach Fanatic

This is a good point. All it takes is a few people to start getting nervous before a mob with torches and pitchforks starts canvasing the forests. The last bear/dumpster situation around here that I've heard of was maybe 11 years ago at the Donut Hole on 98. I'm not sure if I remember what happened as a result - I think that they may have captured it and released it on the Eglin preserve.

14. jensieblue

jensieblue Beach Fanatic

Let's rent a copy of the Yearling...I'll bring some pop corn. Hope the campers in Grayton have the food cans you hang in a tree to prevent bears coming to your food supply...I doubt these city folk know anything about bears.

15. Teresa

this from a thread last year...

http://www.sowal.com/bb/sowal-lounge/24921-drowning-375-pound-bear-rescued-gulf-mexico.html

Biologist pulls doped bear from gulf

Stephanie Garry, Times Staff Writer
    In Print: Sunday, June 29, 2008
    Biologist Adam Warwick holds a 375-pound black bear?s head above water as he guides the tranquilized animal to shore.
    [​IMG]

ALLIGATOR POINT ? Adam Warwick watched with dread as the 375-pound black bear loped into the Gulf of Mexico....
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/environ...icle650068.ece

16. Wavewatcher

Wavewatcher Beach Lover

Thanks for the post it is always wise to be aware of your surroundings. I travel this road daily and it is a good reminder that wildlife may be crossing at any moment. I spotted some snowy egrets today also hanging out near Grayton, it is a wonderful place to be.

I have seen some damage that bears can do at Yosemite Park. They are powerful animals. Put that food up!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  17. nicdeedoop

nicdeedoop Beach Lover

I have seen 4 seperate bears in the last 3 months. Two "residents" and two that just made a brief appearance. I've had no luck with Waste Management in obtaining a bear proof dumpster and having just been in Yellowstone a few weeks ago, I know they make them :D. In constant touch with the great people at Topsail and we are working to minimize contact and access. I'd post some pictures but :bang:

18. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

The bear's been spotted in Watercolor in the last week or so. Fish and Wildlife is aware of this and are staying hands off of the situation right now. It does add a new element to walking the dogs at night.

19. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

20. Teresa