Best Pizza in SOWAL?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by DCollins, Mar 21, 2012.

1. seanderson1027

seanderson1027 Beach Comber

Being a 'local' for 4 years, I've been a regular at Pizza By The Sea. It was always good. However this past year, it's a 'hit or miss' place. Last week it was a hit-great pizza. Today it's a real miss.... burned pizza crust (once again--why do they even serve it?). I can't recommend anyone going there for a good pizza - I just don't know what they'll get for a pizza. And I'm not sure if I'm going to be a 'local' customer there for very much longer..... so disappointed. Told the staff but no refund or credit toward a next time. :angry:

2. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

Enzo's pizza is good when the oven is working or they actually have the ingredients on hand to actually make a pizza or take your order and then a half hour later come out and tell you you're not getting a pizza. Other than that, its good. I'm not bitter though...

3. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

Bubba's Pizza up on the west end of Panama City Beach on 98 (across from the Tom Thumb) is pretty good and the prices are unbelievable. All the pies are thin crust and 18 inches. You can get a regular pie for under 10 bucks. The style is more Jersey or Pennsylvania where the sauce is swirled over the cheese. The cheese steaks are huge and inexpensive as well. They deliver to parts of 30 as well.

4. makeitagreatday

makeitagreatday Beach Comber

Oddly enough, I scanned the thread and to no avail did I find anyone mention McTighes Irish Pub in Blue Mountain for GREAT PIZZA! I am sure few would expect an Irish Pub to host a great pizza, but definitely a go to place if you have not tried it.

***this is not a paid endorsement***

5. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Pickle Factory gets my vote for great pizza. Laughing Cow is my absolute favorite, but I also like the Italian sausage and mushroom.

And the fact that I can actually get a decent beer for a couple bucks doesn't hurt!

6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I have heard about McTighes pizza from a few folks!

I love their fish and chips! some of best fries ever (don't get me started on the bad french fry craze that has slowly but surely crept into SoWal).

7. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

We should have this conversation on the French Fry Quest......Someone told us last year that 98 BBQ had the best fries and they are really great. I will put up Edward's Fine Food and Wine as the best on 30A. But don't get me wrong, 98 BBQ Fries and their BBQ are both worth the little drive. They are just different dining experiences. Will try and get myself to Pickles in Seaside, but am having a really hard time remembering my last chili dog...but I will try it because they have the two 2 ounce patty burgers (the way to my heart).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Iris, you rock!

9. gmarc

gmarc Beach Fanatic

enzo's is awesome thin ny style pizzq. there problem is a bad location which makes business tough so they run out of things. i've gotten pizza at mctiques a few times and it pretty good.

10. Teresa

ok, I'm in. Let's go on a Quest for the perfect french fry in SoWal! (or surrounding area - I will drive long distances if necessary)!

11. Will B

Will B Moderator

"Oddly enough, I scanned the thread and to no avail did I find anyone mention McTighes Irish Pub in Blue Mountain for GREAT PIZZA! I am sure few would expect an Irish Pub to host a great pizza, but definitely a go to place if you have not tried it.

***this is not a paid endorsement*** "

Little known fact...

The guy who owns Johnny McTighes owned the first Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Atlanta on Pharr Rd. McTighes' pizza is, basically, Mellow Mushroom pizza. Only the dough has been tweeked because MM wouldn't let him use the recipe.

12. DCollins

DCollins Beach Lover

I thought Red Bar had pretty good fries....I do know that they had the best Burger I've had in SoWAL in recent years.

PS What was that place called where Shorty's Top Side (across from Red Bar) is now...I used to have a T-Shirt from there and it was my favorite restaurant to go to as a kid, if you said it, I'd remember it! ahhh the only word that comes to mind when trying to think of it is "corner" and I don't know why!!

13. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

D&K's?

14. DCollins

DCollins Beach Lover

No, before that! Dang it's still on the tip of my tongue!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  15. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

New contender for best pizza - Crust!

They are in the old Fabrice location on 98 and are making yummy wood oven pizza (that isn't burnt on the edges).

16. Teresa

oh, it's Something Cafe'. can't think...

17. Will B

Will B Moderator

Little known fact...
    The guy who owns Johnny McTighes was the owner of the first Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Atlanta on Pharr Rd. His pizza is basically MM pizza. He had to tweak the dough, though. Mellow Mushroom wouldn't sell him dough so he had to adjust the recipe to make it his own...

18. DCollins

DCollins Beach Lover

It is! Like corner cafe, beach cafe, grayton beach cafe......!?!?

19. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

Gayton Cafe...I think. They used to have the best key lime pie in the area.

20. Rbsilvey

Rbsilvey Beach Crab

Thank you zebraspots. We are also baking croissants, baguettes, and pastries. We have specials everyday.

Crust Artisan Bakery
    4821 Hwy. 98 E
    Santa Rosa