Coming back in winter

Discussion in 'Say Hello to SoWal!' started by UofL, Aug 30, 2011.

1. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Couldn't stand the thought of only coming down once a year - June. We're thinking of 4 nights between Xmas and New Years to get a fix. Cold, short days but we'll eat breakfast out every other day. (Restaurant breakfasts are too big or we over order so we always have leftovers for the next morning.) Red Bar, Bud & Alleys, Great Southern, Modicas. Then returning to either La Cocinas, George's, Stinky's, Louie Louie, the Wine place at Watercolor,etc. Too many choices. There is always the 'have to' restaurants; then the ones we didn't go to on the last trip; then the group we haven't been to yet. Plus ride our bikes; walk; drive at least once from Rosemary to Topsail. Oh yeah, and sit at the beach!
    3 years in a row it has been so cold, but I'm optimistic that it will be warmer this time:) I haven't made my reservations yet - checking the bowl game schedule first - so there's still time to persuade me to not come down and give you a warm weather holiday again.
    Ellen

2. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We love winter in SoWal. The week after Christmas through New Year's just has a great family atmosphere because a lot of owners are there.

We like to walk on the beach in sweatshirts in January. I always bring my down jacket just in case because I don't like being really cold. It works. Just remember that you have to arrive at restaurants on the early side because they close early. Bruno's is our backup because they take orders until 10 PM (I think that's right).

Frankly we've stayed inside this summer because it's been too darn hot outside. We watch movies and enjoy the view of the Gulf. So we look forward to the fall and winter seasons.

In the off-eason we watch college football and basketball at the restaurants that have TVs, primarily at the bar at Borago. We are very civilized. Right, Joy?

3. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Haven't had Bruno's yet. Always have the 'have to' restaurant list, 'never been to', and all the others are good too!
    We just finished booking next summer - added a week toward the end of July plus our week in June. Darn it, that's what we like to do - lose ourselves in 30A.
    We did 2 weeks together in June this past year again, and it's a little too long to be away from home. No problem being down there for two weeks in a row. I still like reading a real newspaper and we can't have them hold all of them. Grass has to be cut several times by someone - at least the front grass. Our neighbors our great about watching our house.
    I have been checking our rental agency and I think they opened up their reservation system earlier than usual. Last week, we still couldn't look past Feb., then saw our June reservation was on there with two more in June and one in July, so I hopped on it last night. When you find a house you like...
    I still have about 3 1/2 years that I have to work, so we'll continue spending our money this way and enjoying UL sports here at home with our family. Don't want to 'take it with me'. And not that we have any money - Mike teaches; I work in lab. We just never moved up, buy used cars, so this is probably the best time in our lives. And now we have a great granddaughter who is absolutely darling so life is good. We are some of the fortunate ones. Ellen