• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Sueshore said:
Of course, the worrywart in me starts thinking....do I need to bring gloves? will some idiot run us over on that blasted road? will there be snakes in the grass?
:lolabove:
Gloves? By all means.
Idiot Drivers? :dunno: The purple hair might help you be seen (Of course that also could serve as a distraction!)
Snakes? Attach a nail on a broom handle or stick so you don't have to reach into the grass.... :blink: When you become professional, you get to have these fancy "Trash Pick Up Tongs"

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rita said:
Gloves? By all means.
Idiot Drivers? :dunno: The purple hair might help you be seen (Of course that also could serve as a distraction!)
Snakes? Attach a nail on a broom handle or stick so you don't have to reach into the grass.... :blink: When you become professional, you get to have these fancy "Trash Pick Up Tongs"

Actually, the Scenic Corridor Clean Up folks will issue to you an orange safety vest. They also have the fancy pick up tongs, which will be useful for some garbage, but you will be bending over to pick up trash with your hands too. Definitely bring gloves. These guys will provide everything but the gloves. Also, bring your appetite because Shades and Cafe Provence will be serving lunch to the volunteers immediately following the clean up.

Please arrive at 9:15am at either location, because clean up will begin at 9:30a. :D

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I'm so sorry we won't be back at the beach until the 12th, because I'd surely help. Our own neighborhood does alley clean-ups and it's a lot of fun meeting your neighbors AND doing something useful.

Of course if I were there, I'd be tagging right behind Sueshore. :clap_1:

Will you post if there's another scheduled clean-up?

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Smiling Joe. The SCA does usually have gloves on hand, but they tend to be the thin latex kind. The Tourist Development Council usually donates them to the cause.

So if you forget the gloves - fear not.

It should be a beautiful day tomorrow and Shades and Cafe Provence will have some tasty food.

There are usually some other freebies as well, T-shirts, etc.

They will also have some of those "fancy tongs" on hand for you to use.

As for the crazy drivers ... I've done this clean up before and never had a problem. Most people slow down when they see you working and you're not allowed to clean in the medians, so it is safe.

A lot of areas by the highway have sidewalks now too, which is nice.

I look forward to meeting some of you sowal'ers in person! Bring a friend - or three! Let's keep South Walton looking great!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita said:
Gloves? By all means.

Sounds like you have experience....community service????? I am off to get gloves for my paws!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oh yeah, I forgot about the latex gloves.
For those of you participating, the SCA (Scenic Coridor Assoc) would like a head count. This will also be helpful to know for lunch. Please contact Marilyn at 267-5757 to sign up.

The act of not littering is not enough to keep this place clean. Please help keep our area clean by joining us tomorrow morning.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Sueshore said:
Sounds like you have experience....community service????? I am off to get gloves for my paws!
See, according to SJ you get the fancy pick up sticks! These guys a organized! :clap_1:
Wish I were there to help out. We do our neighborhood and creek once a year here.
Will that orange vest clash?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita said:
See, according to SJ you get the fancy pick up sticks! These guys a organized! :clap_1:
Wish I were there to help out. We do our neighborhood and creek once a year here.

Just talked to Marilyn per SJ's instructions. This is very organized and they are feeding us as well! Is this a great country/county or what? No worry on the purple hair clashing...Got to wear a HAT. Will people think we are doing work release? Wonder what my jailhouse number will be? wlaner....get your sorry rear out there tomorrow....they put us in teams of two...between the two of us we can definitely do TRASH! I'll be at Cafe Provence....9:15 sharp!

I'll pick up some trash in your honor Rita!

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Rita said:

Nah! Miss Kitty ain't afraid of color!!!!!! Can't be when your hair is purple! :rotfl:

Sorry I'm not there. :sosad: I would have gladly participated in the effort.