• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Beach Crazy said:
When we were at Palms of Seagrove we rented from Chip. Each night he would take up chairs and umbrellas, put them in storage boxes and lock them up. When we arrived on the beach each day, everything had been set up for us with our name on it. Chip seemed to be very responsible and caring for the beaches. He would even pick up trash as he walked up and down the beach. Not to mention he was very friendly and helpful when it came to questions about the area. Just my 2 pennies worth.;-)

So Chip can do this ...... And SJ knows of services that can do it also. They seem to manage to stay in business. Maybe the companies that can't remove beach setups at the end of the day need to not be in business. Let someone more responsible have that business. :roll:

.
 
Rita said:
So Chip can do this ...... And SJ knows of services that can do it also. They seem to manage to stay in business. Maybe the companies that can't remove beach setups at the end of the day need to not be in business. Let someone more responsible have that business. :roll:

.


Sorry, but at the public beach access I was using neither Chip or the other service removed or broke down any chairs at night. They may do that at private accesses such as in front of condo's, but it is not done at the public access.

Just be fair to both services. I do not believe one does something the other does not. I believe it has more to do with the location of the set up.

Again both of these services are excellent.
 
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Sorry, but at the public beach access I was using neither Chip or the other service removed or broke down any chairs at night. They may do that at private accesses such as in front of condo's, but it is not done at the public access.

Just be fair to both services. I do not believe one does something the other does not. I believe it has more to do with the location of the set up.

Again both of these services are excellent.
I don't doubt that which Rather B has seen. I can report only what I see and know. At the public access at Grayton Beach, I don't see beach vendors leaving out chairs over night. These chair vendors are required by County Ordinances to remove such items from the beach daily. I repeat, they are lazy or bad business people.
 
Seagrovelover's point is one that I was hoping would come up on this thread. Renters new to this area, as well as others, simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND what is expected of them. Try to take on another's point of view--as a newcomer to the beach (since there is such new growth in the area) a nice family with children may think--isn't this a great community, where I can carry my stuff to the beach (too bad some others can drive down in their huge SUV's--another thread) and it is such a great safe community that people actually leave it here without worry until the next day!! these unknowing familys don't litter, they don't leave #*%tty trash, they simply think that everyone does it--they aren't trying to drive us over the edge --we are preaching to the crowd if we think that this ranting will change things--they simply think that this is the way it's done in Grayton--don't steal their children's chairs--just educate them--ok??? :confused:
 
waterbaby said:
Seagrovelover's point is one that I was hoping would come up on this thread. Renters new to this area, as well as others, simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND what is expected of them. Try to take on another's point of view--as a newcomer to the beach (since there is such new growth in the area) a nice family with children may think--isn't this a great community, where I can carry my stuff to the beach (too bad some others can drive down in their huge SUV's--another thread) and it is such a great safe community that people actually leave it here without worry until the next day!! these unknowing familys don't litter, they don't leave #*%tty trash, they simply think that everyone does it--they aren't trying to drive us over the edge --we are preaching to the crowd if we think that this ranting will change things--they simply think that this is the way it's done in Grayton--don't steal their children's chairs--just educate them--ok??? :confused:

You make a good point waterbaby, however, SJ just found chairs floating in the water and others lots of other things.
Pardon me, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that surf comes in, surf goes out, fish and other marine life live in the ocean, birds come on the beach, etc., and if your stuff floats out, it can have a negative impact on the ecology. Sea turtles that are endangered have been known to swallow cigarette butts and small items. I have seen birds tangled up in netting as well.
 
waterbaby said:
Seagrovelover's point is one that I was hoping would come up on this thread. Renters new to this area, as well as others, simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND what is expected of them. Try to take on another's point of view--as a newcomer to the beach (since there is such new growth in the area) a nice family with children may think--isn't this a great community, where I can carry my stuff to the beach (too bad some others can drive down in their huge SUV's--another thread) and it is such a great safe community that people actually leave it here without worry until the next day!! these unknowing familys don't litter, they don't leave #*%tty trash, they simply think that everyone does it--they aren't trying to drive us over the edge --we are preaching to the crowd if we think that this ranting will change things--they simply think that this is the way it's done in Grayton--don't steal their children's chairs--just educate them--ok??? :confused:
Since I don't own a beach rental, how would you suggest that I begin educating them? I do think education should be a big focus, but help me, help them. It isn't like I want their beach crap, and I certainly don't have room for all the tents and chairs at my house. I would rather not have to try digging their crap out of the water and sand. For the record, many people leave much trash around those tents. Some may not, but plenty do. I cannot tell you how many price tags for beach crap and plastic umbrella sleeves that I dig out of the sand. It gets rather old and boring, and I would rather be enjoying all of my time at the beach rather than part of my time at the beach. I feel as though bringing up the topic on this board is in some part, educating. I know that I am not preaching only to the choir. Ask the silent people who I caught in SoWal shirts at the beach who left their crap out there for a week. It was only after I posted their photo, that a friend of theirs responded and talked to them. I gave them three days warning that I would post the photo if they didn't remove their crap. So, there are people listening. Learn.
 
waterbaby said:
Seagrovelover's point is one that I was hoping would come up on this thread. Renters new to this area, as well as others, simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND what is expected of them. Try to take on another's point of view--as a newcomer to the beach (since there is such new growth in the area) a nice family with children may think--isn't this a great community, where I can carry my stuff to the beach (too bad some others can drive down in their huge SUV's--another thread) and it is such a great safe community that people actually leave it here without worry until the next day!! these unknowing familys don't litter, they don't leave #*%tty trash, they simply think that everyone does it--they aren't trying to drive us over the edge --we are preaching to the crowd if we think that this ranting will change things--they simply think that this is the way it's done in Grayton--don't steal their children's chairs--just educate them--ok??? :confused:

I understand your point - thanks.
 
Bobby J said:
I have two foldable mushroom chairs. Slightly used. These are nice. Photos coming soon. Courtesy of Gulfview Heights and Old Florida beach area. These will come with the original sack and can be yours for a starting bid of $15.oo (shipping not included). All profit goes to Caring and Sharing of South Walton. Do I hear $20!!! Let the bidding begin! :clap_1:

This is not the proper forum to sell stolen goods. Try Ebay. :roll:
 
Believe me--I was on the beach early in the am last year after the Tropical Storm--we were feverishly trying to dig out tents, coolers, chairs, etc--and where were the owners??? I couldn't believe that people would walk away from that much crap being buried or carried out to sea--My son pulled up what he thought was a beach toy, and it was a helmet-with shells covering it-possibly from a ship --obviously it had been out there a while and had washed ashore. We brought as much as we could to the trash-but the sand covered so much of it as fast as we could try to dig it out--
that's not my point-
We need to EDUCATE---not steal-- :confused:
 
waterbaby said:
Believe me--I was on the beach early in the am last year after the Tropical Storm--we were feverishly trying to dig out tents, coolers, chairs, etc--and where were the owners??? I couldn't believe that people would walk away from that much crap being buried or carried out to sea--My son pulled up what he thought was a beach toy, and it was a helmet-with shells covering it-possibly from a ship --obviously it had been out there a while and had washed ashore. We brought as much as we could to the trash-but the sand covered so much of it as fast as we could try to dig it out--
that's not my point-
We need to EDUCATE---not steal-- :confused:

You can't imagine how much trash, and half-buried, and broken items I collected last year before, during and after storms. When people are spending 10 or 20 thousand dollars for a week's stay, a $14.99 chair is not even thought about when you're packing, and the kids are screaming, and you're checkout time was 30 minutes ago, and it's 95 degrees outside.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top