• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Shelly,

I am not taking anyone's side on this issue. But I am putting forth the arguments that I hear against customary beach use to try to get a better understanding of the issue. What little bit of time I have spent at the beach lately has been taking pictures of signs telling me to stay off the beach. Which, to be honest, I do find a bit insulting. Especially when I see the TDC patrolling and cleaning something with public dollars that I am not suppose to be able to use.

While you are taking pictures and looking into it...take a look at the situation at Stallworth Lake public access. The sign clearly says the access was built, and is maintained, with public money; the 2 acre parcel to the West of the public access was purchased by Walton County through a grant from the Trust for Public Land...but now, the Stallworth Preserve has a "Private Beach" sign there. I am going to ask the Co. Commissioners for an explanation; just haven't gotten around to it yet. I just saw the sign last week. While you are looking into things perhaps this is a good one to explore. It has been my understanding that when public funds are used to either build or purchase property, one of the conditions is that the public must have access to it through a management plan executed by the County....so what's up with Stallworth?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
While you are taking pictures and looking into it...take a look at the situation at Stallworth Lake public access. The sign clearly says the access was built, and is maintained, with public money; the 2 acre parcel to the West of the public access was purchased by Walton County through a grant from the Trust for Public Land...but now, the Stallworth Preserve has a "Private Beach" sign there. I am going to ask the Co. Commissioners for an explanation; just haven't gotten around to it yet. I just saw the sign last week. While you are looking into things perhaps this is a good one to explore. It has been my understanding that when public funds are used to either build or purchase property, one of the conditions is that the public must have access to it through a management plan executed by the County....so what's up with Stallworth?

That is interesting. That purchase, I think, was initially made with excess dollars returned by the tax collector to the general fund. The BCC then sought a grant through the trust to reimburse the expenditure. I see no way that land could be private. The first thing the BCC should do is determine property lines and get code enforcement to remove all of these bogus signs people keep putting up to scare residents and visitors away.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My thoughts:

1) The beach is 100% public. If there is a legal/title/policy decision that has been made claiming any part of the beach as private, it needs to be changed immediately to correct an error and ensure the future.

2) There has not been a change in the use of the beach, there has been a change in how desirable the beach has become - people market real estate using the beach, overload access points, and found their developments on bad neighbor policies to get $$$.

3) A lack of manners and respect in sharing community space and disrespecting other people is what makes this such a contentious issue. Bad eggs on both sides of the issue are ruining it for others.

Just because you have the right to use the beach, doesn't mean you have the right to park anywhere, litter, cause noise pollution, or leave items on the beach when they are not in use.

Just because you live beachfront does not mean you control a natural resource.

4) Many communities have already solved this or similar issues - beaches, lakes, parks, wilderness areas - by making them public, using public funds to maintain them, and having strict and ENFORCED rules about their use.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
4) Many communities have already solved this or similar issues - beaches, lakes, parks, wilderness areas - by making them public, using public funds to maintain them, and having strict and ENFORCED rules about their use.

I have been unable to locate anything specific here. Do you have examples or maybe names of communities so I can search further? I want to see how they handle the taking. In Florida the Bert Harris Act would seem to get in the way, but not sure. Of course these would have to be Florida communities since this issue has not been resolved nationally yet.

Last edited:

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I totally agree with that. If public dollars are used to restore the beach then the restored portion is public. I see no way to argue any other way.

There are private beach signs in Miramar where beach restoration has already been done. So I would say some are arguing the other way quite effectively.

Walton County Code Enforcement says they can't do anything about the signs because the signs reference a Florida statute. DEP doesn't seem to have any jurisdiction over sign content.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Walton County Code Enforcement says they can't do anything about the signs because the signs reference a Florida statute. DEP doesn't seem to have any jurisdiction over sign content.

Code enforcement copping out. If the signs are wrong, and we all know they are, and we all know that the TDC got agreements that the land would be public if restored, they could go take them down. If they did take them down, who would the people complain to anyway? I remember in the old days when people would put signs in the right of way, the county district road foreman would chainsaw them in half then cut them at the legs. Having that done to a very expensive sign, even back then, stopped the problem rather quickly. But he was not afraid to take action. He had a job to do and he did it.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
There are private beach signs in Miramar where beach restoration has already been done. So I would say some are arguing the other way quite effectively.

Pretty sure the one at Stallworth Preserve does not reference a F. S. I will verify tomorrow.