• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jellyfish

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
So there does not seem to be a concrete (or hardy plank) answer from the developer- they say they are "working on a solution" but If I understand
what is mentioned above, you cannot legally get to the beach from there?

I agree re Cypress Dunes- was that clear cut or was the land mostly tree-less to begin with?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Look at both developments with Google Earth. The reason both have the name "Cypress", is most likely that they are both directly adjacent wetlands. If you have cypress trees, you have the moist ground.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Cork On the Ocean said:
Every step on the dunes causes sand to loosen. Every bucket that kids dig out them removes sand.

9 out 10 deaths in hurricanes are due to the storm surge. The 2 biggest defenses against storm surge are continuous high dunes and the beach shelf.

20 steps and 1 bucket of sand doesn't seem like much but multiply that by 50,000 or 5 million. Our dunes suffered tremendous damage last year from the storms. Experts are trying to figure out how to repair them or at least hold onto what we have left. Many of us who own here are paying high assessments to try to save our dunes.

Don't walk on the dunes or let your kids play on them. Tell people to get off the dunes if you see them on them.

We'll love you for it! :love:

Agreed, agreed and agreed - I certainly do my part with my kids and hope others do too. It is one of our most valuable resources and the reason our landscape along beaches are so unique and beautiful. I live here full time and am as committed as I can be to their preservation!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Chickpea said:
Agreed, agreed and agreed - I certainly do my part with my kids and hope others do too. It is one of our most valuable resources and the reason our landscape along beaches are so unique and beautiful. I live here full time and am as committed as I can be to their preservation!

:clap_1: ...and I will be returning in April to help educate those who may have not gotten the message. I was thinking there should be a flyer to hand out to uneducated parents, but guess where those would end up????

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Sueshore said:
:clap_1: ...and I will be returning in April to help educate those who may have not gotten the message. I was thinking there should be a flyer to hand out to uneducated parents, but guess where those would end up????
Agreed - great idea - we find a way to educate all about the dangers of swimming and have a flag system to further clarify. A flyer about the importance of preserving dunes would be instructive as I imagine that as obvious it may be to those of us here who are somewhat ecologically minded, to many people they may just not know any better and would welcome such instruction. Others would trash and ignore and we would touch some....

Jellyfish

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
Alot of great info and discussion, but to my original question....how do you
legally get to the beach from a Cypress Dunes home? :dunno:

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Jellyfish said:
Alot of great info and discussion, but to my original question....how do you
legally get to the beach from a Cypress Dunes home? :dunno:

Leave the subdivision and go to the nearest public beach access.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Amp22 said:
Leave the subdivision and go to the nearest public beach access.
...but you better walk, take your bike or scooter, because the closest public access has only 4 parking spaces and one is a handi-capped. From the western most lot in Cypress Dunes, one would have to drive about 1.5 miles to the closest public beach access.