• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jellyfish

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
Just coicidence, but ran into someone yesterday with a lot in C Dunes, up against a 10 mo. build out date (can you say "caught flipping?)...never intended to build. Price dropped to $275,000. This would have never happened over the past 5 years, sure looks like there is going to be some shakeout..... I might be interested in this, I think C Dunes is a very nice
development, but what is point of seeing the beach and not being able to
get to it easily? There is a State Prison just south of Vegas on I-15...reminds of that..must be hell seeing the lights of Vegas and not being able to get over the fence...this reminds me of that. I would think the developer would put in a nice walkover...

Glad to see the mania slowing, hope I can buy into SoWal this year.... :clap_1:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
...but you better walk, take your bike or scooter, because the closest public access has only 4 parking spaces and one is a handi-capped. From the western most lot in Cypress Dunes, one would have to drive about 1.5 miles to the closest public beach access.

That's the reason they're putting in the "Flintstone's Waterpark," so you don't have to go to the beach.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
SHELLY said:
That's the reason they're putting in the "Flintstone's Waterpark," so you don't have to go to the beach.
Shelly, you've got your Cypresses backwards....Cypress Breeze has the Flinstones...for Cypress Dunes you need Home Depot bolt cutters for direct beach access.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Bob said:
Shelly, you've got your Cypresses backwards....Cypress Breeze has the Flinstones...for Cypress Dunes you need Home Depot bolt cutters for direct beach access.

Geez...the fun never ends! Next up...Cypress Borders...the new gated and walled development where you have to evade capture by gate guards and tunnel under the highway to get the beach.

Look at both developments with Google Earth. The reason both have the name "Cypress", is most likely that they are both directly adjacent wetlands. If you have cypress trees, you have the moist ground.

Cypress Breeze is 35 feet above sea level. There has never been a storm surge that could come close to flooding the community. Cypress Breeze has a paved bike trail directly to Ed Walline Gulf Front Park which is 5 blocks from Cypress Breeze. The Cypress Stands are protected and occur because of the soil hydrology. The pool is criticised by those interested in high architectural design and beloved by children. The lots are oversized on average, mine is 85 x 150. There are about 200 lots in Cypress Breeze and to date there are about 35 completed homes. There are about 22 homes that are occupied regularly. I don't know how the occupancy rate compares to other beach communities in Sowal. The new Publix on 98 is within 5 miles and Sacred Heart is within about 8 miles. Butler Elementary is within 7 minutes and South Walton High is about 9 minutes. There are 2 gas stations within 3 minutes and 3 churches in 4 minutes. There are at least 5 restaurants within 3 minutes and 10 within 10 minutes.

Homes were about 400,000 then went as high as about 1,000,000. The architectural controls are all over the board. This really is a detraction in my opinion for cohesiveness. The upside to that is that a family looking to build the home they want won't have any trouble doing so. You can buy a brand new 4 bed/3 bath with carriage house home for 399,000. There is much speculation about what the developer will be selling lots for in the future. A person may be able to buy a lot and build a new home for as low as 350,000 in the future with some patience. All the streets are paved and it is a child/family friendly community.

Disclosure: I own a home there and it is not for sale. My mother owns a home there that is for sale. Some people I know bought 6 lots in 2004 for about 170,000 each and asked me to build for them for profit, I advised them to sell all 6 lots for 250,000 immediately and be happy with their return. That's what I did with my first lot. The developer worked with Doodle and Seacrest Beach to complete Seacrest's big pool while Doodle was out of town. I bought in Cypress Breeze because I figured it may be like Seacrest Beach with the proximity to the gulf and the enormous pool. I figure when the market stabilizes lots will eventually reach 250,000. In time Cypress Breeze will fill out to be a great beach community and the HOA will organize and mature. I can hear the waves at the beach from where I am typing and yet we are surrounded by State Forest. It's o.k.

I have detailed maps and know quite a bit about the community.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
If one owns a lot in Cypress Dunes, are they required to use John Willis or can they bring in another builder?