Dave Raushkolb: Customary Use Shouldnʼt Require Defending

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Dave Rauschkolb, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I have no problem with Dave making money at either a public or private beach in SoWal. And also have him advocate for us all to have the right to use our beaches as we have for generations.

Anyone trying to make an argument about his business is grasping for straws.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. gailforce

gailforce Beach Lover

House Bill 631. There were 95 yeas, multiply that by 2 which equals 190 manberries we got.

3. EZ4144

EZ4144 Beach Lover

Tallahassee politicians have no balls.

4. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

Ok, that’s great to know that we can all now use what equates to a large regional public beach access at your restaurant. So that I’m clear, I can access the beach via the area at your restaurant, but then set up my chairs and belongings in front of one of the developer’s private beach accesses per customary use, correct?

We need to get the word out that this is a public access. Most people probably didn’t know this. I’ve been visiting the area since 1988 and had no idea! It’s a great access with great facilities!

5. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

No one said anything about setting up on private property.

6. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

But isn’t the beach in front of the “private accesses” actually PUBLIC property according to the customary use concept? Isn’t that what the customary use debate is all about? I’m not taking about “private access” pavilions, I’m talking about the sandy beach in front of them. Can I “sit on a towel” any of the dry sand there?

7. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

Stop over thinking it and catch some rays.

8. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

Beginning midnight tonight, you may not do so. Doing so after that is trespassing. From the Gulf to th4e MHWL or ECL is public. Private beach landward of MHWL or ECL is off limits to the general public.

9. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Starbucks would..all welcome to use wifi and bathrooms and buy nothing..gotta be PC.you know

10. James Bentwood

If there's no plan to enforce .. Who cares?

11. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

I suspect you will find there is a difference between no enforcement and no arrests for civil trespass. WCSO says it will respond to such calls and will try to mediate on-site. I suspect most trespassers will not argue with an armed deputy who tells them they are trespassing and will peaceful leave as required by law as pointed out by the deputy. The few who do not can reasonably be expected to not make the deputies happy by refusing to abide by the law, and personalities so disposed are likely to offend the sensibilities of the deputies by being confrontational. These few risk arrest and may well suffer same.

12. Charles Evans

Charles Evans Beach Comber

For those that contend that the change in law will negatively impact property values and local businesses, do you think that the constant and daily bombardment of dire postings here and on Facebook help property values and local businesses in the near term? Does scare mongering really help?

I support Customary Use, but like it or not, this will ultimately be decided by the Courts, likely several years from now. It is what it is, adjust to the practicalities of today, make the best of a situation out of our personal control and hope for the best.

I don’t see how crying wolf on a daily basis helps, and in fact, likely just scares tourists away. It’s not an ideal situation, but sometimes you need to make lemonade out of lemons until the situation settles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. EZ4144

EZ4144 Beach Lover

Wherever people are told to leave, 100 customary users should show up within the hour and stand their sand.

14. The Sabols

The Sabols Beach Comber

This is all I see when reading some of these posts. So sad that we all live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and some have nothing better to do but b**ch and moan.

Hey Dave, how about we organize a sit in on the wet sand area at Vizcaya at Dune Allen. Perhaps we can all enjoy a cool beverage at the waters edge with Mr. Hackmeyer and his paid security "force."

Attached Files:

15. gailforce

gailforce Beach Lover

Better to b**ch and moan, than to act on it constructing unnecessary drama. You start out all sweetness and light, then you dim.

16. Low Brow

Low Brow Beach Lover

As someone who was arrested twice for trespassing(younger years) and nearly arrested for trespassing a dozen or more times(still younger years), if the property line is not clearly marked with a no trespassing sign, it's not enforceable.........just saying.

17. James Bentwood

Private property is private property. Maybe you mean that in the case of beachfront the lines between private and public are difficult to discern without markings.

18. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

19. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

20. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

246C2D1F-5EA7-4461-A675-A1B3DE833344.jpeg

Indian Rock Beach, Fl