• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30alife

Beach Crab
Dec 21, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
I bought my house by gulf place just early this year and we are here with our German Shepard dog for the first time for winter break. I took him out for a walk tonight off 393 and 30a and walking back from 30a saw a large deer right by the South of Philly restaurant sign. I don’t think my dog noticed it then but the deer clearly saw us and starred. I was expecting it to run off but it stated to slowly inch towards us, I assume more curious about the dog. I quickly turnaround toward where we live off 393 and South of Philly restaurant, and walked around to my house. I am not sure if the deer was still around the corner but as soon as I took my dog off the leash he got startled and ran towards the back of house. Anyway this was my first upclose encounter with a deer right behind my house, wondering if this is normal for the area at night (we were walking at 8:30), and for the deer to not run away as would normally be expected? My first time spending winter in this area so not sure if this is norm. Seeing it right off 393 by the sign made it stand out, I would normally expect them closer to the forest.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Wildlife around here in general arent too scared. I have been sitting on a friends backporch at night right off 30A and a bear walked right up to the deck with 5 rather noisy humans having cocktails. Guess he/she wanted one too. I have a fox and kits that regularly strolls across my deck at dusk.