• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
One thing can be said for certain....if they put a Mini-Disney and an International Airport in the "most beautiful part of Florida" it won't be any longer.

Many people (and possibly the majority), consider beautiful to be wide expanses of green lawn, non-native palm trees, giant blue pools, manicured lobbies, soaring high-rises, sleek water craft, shiny limos, valet-perked restaurants with perfect hostesses, and yes, fast appreciating property near international airports and them parks.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Many people (and possibly the majority), consider beautiful to be wide expanses of green lawn, non-native palm trees, giant blue pools, manicured lobbies, soaring high-rises, sleek water craft, shiny limos, valet-perked restaurants with perfect hostesses, and yes, fast appreciating property near international airports and them parks.

Then count me in the minority....for the sake of nature, and the enjoyment of such by the average American and future generations.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Please don't put me in that group. Disney begat Orlando, not vice versa, so please take a look at your possible future. Not pretty.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Please don't put me in that group. Disney begat Orlando, not vice versa, so please take a look at your possible future. Not pretty.

You are the expert here :D . However, we have to remember that 1-10/Hwy 79 is an hour away from SoWal. If the rumors are true, there may be some affect of SoWal, but I think it will be minimal because of the distance.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
One thing can be said for certain....if they put a Mini-Disney and an International Airport in the "most beautiful part of Florida" it won't be any longer.

Especially when long range planning for northwestern counties and cities have not prepared for it. Remember my Florida 2030 posting?

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach

The rumors are miles away from 30-A. 40 miles to the site round trip. This would not affect us unless WE WENT there. So, will a new theme park hurt the area? Miracle Strip was sold and now foreclosed on. I have children and I would like to have some thing for them to do on weekends with me and the little women, my wonderful wife, that is fun. I have been going to the old Miracle Strip since 61. Shelly you say the "most beautiful part of Florida" is were a "Mini-Disney and an International Airport " will be. Has the beach been forgotten?

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
You are the expert here :D . However, we have to remember that 1-10/Hwy 79 is an hour away from SoWal. If the rumors are true, there may be some affect of SoWal, but I think it will be minimal because of the distance.
I'm sure nothing on the scale of the Tragic Kingdom will occur in your backyard, but be forewarned that Disney has not been a good neighbor to surrounding municipalities. They have their own quasi-governmental entity, Reedy Creek Improvement District, and that is as far Disney concerns itself in most cases. By the way, O'town used to be 45 minutes away from Walt's World....no longer, unless you count time stuck on I-4. Most of the change in the panhandle is likely to be of a nature that few will accurately predict. Isn't that the way things usually evolve???

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
I'm sure nothing on the scale of the Tragic Kingdom will occur in your backyard, but be forewarned that Disney has not been a good neighbor to surrounding municipalities. They have their own quasi-governmental entity, Reedy Creek Improvement District, and that is as far Disney concerns itself in most cases. By the way, O'town used to be 45 minutes away from Walt's World....no longer, unless you count time stuck on I-4. Most of the change in the panhandle is likely to be of a nature that few will accurately predict. Isn't that the way things usually evolve???

Most of the change in the panhandle is likely to be of a nature that few will accurately predict. Isn't that the way things usually evolve???

Correct.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The rumors are miles away from 30-A. 40 miles to the site round trip. This would not affect us unless WE WENT there.
:rotfl: Destin and Panama City Beach are also 40 miles round trip from SoWal, depending on the end from which one measures. ;-) Destin is already creeping this way. It is only a matter of time before North West FL will be one busy place. You can already forget the sleepiness of the sleepy little town of Freeport. The airport and animal theme park will drive more people this way. Maybe if we are lucky, people will begin to vacation at the rumored Disney theme park and never make it to the beach. (ah, but a dream)

Last edited: