• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You need to make sure your accusations are researched and correct! ...The poisons that have been sprayed have been researched as much as possible by scientists! ... Did it occur to anyone what would happen with a complete discontinuance, not a slower withdrawal? Was that investigated?

Yes, you are correct -- you need to make sure your accusations are researched and correct. If you would have done so, you would know that the Naled was not researched as much as possible by scientists.

For the other question, yes, we knew that would be the case, and yes, it was investigated.

Thank you for your concern. Now go stock up on some DEET, and spray your self real good.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Did it occur to anyone what would happen with a complete discontinuance,
Yes there will be more of the annoying little bass turds but I wont be inhaling/absorbing poisons that I wont even use in my home due to the toxicity. Some people will get more bites and be aggravated by them unless they hose themselves down with pesticides. But they will be ingesting/absorbing them of their own free will not because they have no choice.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Florida Girl-Get even with them and contact your congresspeople with the demand that we irradiate food so our children will no longer get sick from tainted agricultural products. That'll learn those hippies.:wave:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think killing the bugs at their source rather than spreading poison over this area is a good idea. My personal policy is to limit my exposure to chemicals whenever possible and I don't have much faith in the government's infallibility when it comes to whether or not things are safe.

Is there an alternate/natural way to control them?

The germs on our produce come from mass production and importation problems. Get your food from a local farmer instead of a mega farm w/ no accountability, and wash it before eating it and you'll save gas/energy and ecoli worries.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Ok. I'm going to bite. To me the point is these bugs are pests and I want to repell them from my being.

I think it is senseless killing them just because they are bothersome. (Yes some also carry things like West Nile -- one more reason to repell them.)

If something bothers me, I want it to go away - I don't want it dead.

Not to mention lots of great bugs, small animals etc are effected by the spray. If it kills a bad bug won't it kill a butterfly? :dunno:
According to my wife, who is a Master Gardener, it kills butterflies and also bees. In case you don't know it, we already have a "bee crisis".

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
According to my wife, who is a Master Gardener, it kills butterflies and also bees. In case you don't know it, we already have a "bee crisis".
Haven't seen a single swallowtail in the garden this year. My dill & parsley are usually loaded with them.
I wonder if my children will ever see the twinkle of a firefly.:sosad:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
According to the article in the DeFuniak Herald, the BCC discontinued the dog fly program completely! Not just not allowing a new plane!

I don't believe the article is being quoted accurately. What the BCC did do is refuse to sign a letter giving the existing plane permission to fly below 1000 ft in Walton County. They don't have the power to disallow a new plane, it's a state-owned plane and a state spraying program. The BCC's action, or non-action actually, effectively ended the program in Walton County for this season anyway. The program is still in effect in neighboring counties and the plane is alive and well. Who knows which way the political winds will blow next year :dunno:

dmarie

Beach Lover
Aug 22, 2007
Eden
Has anyone else noticed that there are far fewer butterflies and dragonflies nowadays, and absolutely no lightening bugs left anymore? I remember when the dragonflies were thick in the Fall with their primary diet being dog flies. Between the mosquito spraying and the dog fly sprays we are slowly killing mother nature.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
When we went to Pier Park to see Porter-Batiste-Stolz, a helicopter spewing something vile flew over us as we walked in. Little droplets of what I assume was bug spray got in our eyes and mouth - it hurt in the eyes!!!:eek: They very obviously sprayed the crowd.