• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I well remember what life was like BEFORE the Mosquito control began, I was here, and the thought of having to go through that again is not pleasant. I like not having a problem with the pests, and DON'T want to go back there! As I've said before, if you have a viable solution, bring it on! But to discontinue a program without anything more than suspicion, and not to replace it with something else, is completely stupid! :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I guess you would rather ingest the DDT which they used to spray, rather than to be bitten by mosquitos. I think that time was also before the invention of Avon's Skin So Soft, which you say works well as a repellent and is not known to be harmful to human health. Go figure.

Several people have mentioned that rather than doing a mass spraying of poisons in the air in SoWal, it would be much more effective and targeted, if they would hit the flies at their source, which is far north from here. The actual name of the Dog Fly is the Stable Fly. They lay their eggs in and around horse and cow poo. You can target the source and control the insects without blanket spraying everything in South Walton. If you are trying to kill a few at the beach, you are not likely affecting the drifting population of the Dog Fly anyway, but you are killing many other insects, native to this area, as well as perhaps risking long term health of humans who are being sprayed.

There is nothing like a pleasant evening, when the temperature drops like the last few nights. You open all the windows and doors in the house for a cool night's sleep. Then, you here the sounds of the poison truck. :bang:

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I guess you would rather ingest the DDT which they used to spray, rather than to be bitten by mosquitos. I think that time was also before the invention of Avon's Skin So Soft, which you say works well as a repellent and is not known to be harmful to human health. Go figure.

Several people have mentioned that rather than doing a mass spraying of poisons in the air in SoWal, it would be much more effective and targeted, if they would hit the flies at their source, which is far north from here. The actual name of the Dog Fly is the Stable Fly. They lay their eggs in and around horse and cow poo. You can target the source and control the insects without blanket spraying everything in South Walton. If you are trying to kill a few at the beach, you are not likely affecting the drifting population of the Dog Fly anyway, but you are killing many other insects, native to this area, as well as perhaps risking long term health of humans who are being sprayed.

There is nothing like a pleasant evening, when the temperature drops like the last few nights. You open all the windows and doors in the house for a cool night's sleep. Then, you here the sounds of the poison truck. :bang:

Actually, my mother used Skin so soft but didn't know it had repellant qualities, and she got here in 1952. The source is Alabama somewhere, and what they are doing about it, I don't know. It'd be great if they did, but in the mean while, Dog flies are vicious, and attack! And no, I don't care to ingest DDT, nor DEET, for that matter. Does anybody remember "Cheech and Chong"? They had an album and one of the songs was about playing in the highway getting high on the exhaust! I guess that's what they do with the mosquito control truck? What, closing the doors briefly is not acceptable in exchange for a mild pest season? They used to spray around midnight, now it's still daylight. You go to bed pretty early! It doesn't last that long.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Actually, my mother used Skin so soft but didn't know it had repellant qualities, and she got here in 1952. The source is Alabama somewhere, and what they are doing about it, I don't know. It'd be great if they did, but in the mean while, Dog flies are vicious, and attack! And no, I don't care to ingest DDT, nor DEET, for that matter. Does anybody remember "Cheech and Chong"? They had an album and one of the songs was about playing in the highway getting high on the exhaust! I guess that's what they do with the mosquito control truck? What, closing the doors briefly is not acceptable in exchange for a mild pest season? They used to spray around midnight, now it's still daylight. You go to bed pretty early! It doesn't last that long.

First of all, they spray in different areas at different times. When they get to my house, it is always after dark, and usually close to my bedtime. Last night, I heard them spraying in or around Seaside/WaterColor long after the sun had set.

You do know that the spray they were using to kill the dog flies was sprayed only on occasion, and that they say that as the spray droplets fell to earth, it killed only on contact. If a drop missed a Dog Fly, it is reported that it wouldn't harm them later. So, if Naled is more toxic than DEET, and you don't want to ingest DEET, it is only logical that you wouldn't want to ingest Naled, either. The Naled reportedly killed only the small insects which were hit by the spray on the way down. So, if you wanted to avoid ingesting the Naled, you would need to stay inside until all of the Naled settled to Earth, but then there would be more Dog Flies still coming down from the source, and still biting you once the spray had dissipated.

So what is wrong with wearing Skin So Soft, if it works, as your defense strategy against the "attacking" insects? Seems much more friendly to the environment.

I really am against killing something just because it is pest. I know plenty of kids who can be pests at times, and we wouldn't dream of killing them, just because they bit us, or were screaming in our ears, or pulling our hair. Think about the universal message you are sending when you begin killing things that you don't agree with, or that are a nu science to you. Reminds me of the radical Muslims.

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
First of all, they spray in different areas at different times. When they get to my house, it is always after dark, and usually close to my bedtime. Last night, I heard them spraying in or around Seaside/WaterColor long after the sun had set.

You do know that the spray they were using to kill the dog flies was sprayed only on occasion, and that they say that as the spray droplets fell to earth, it killed only on contact. If a drop missed a Dog Fly, it is reported that it wouldn't harm them later. So, if Naled is more toxic than DEET, and you don't want to ingest DEET, it is only logical that you wouldn't want to ingest Naled, either. The Naled reportedly killed only the small insects which were hit by the spray on the way down. So, if you wanted to avoid ingesting the Naled, you would need to stay inside until all of the Naled settled to Earth, but then there would be more Dog Flies still coming down from the source, and still biting you once the spray had dissipated.

So what is wrong with wearing Skin So Soft, if it works, as your defense strategy against the "attacking" insects? Seems much more friendly to the environment.

I really am against killing something just because it is pest. I know plenty of kids who can be pests at times, and we wouldn't dream of killing them, just because they bit us, or were screaming in our ears, or pulling our hair. Think about the universal message you are sending when you begin killing things that you don't agree with, or that are a nu science to you. Reminds me of the radical Muslims.

I doubt seriously that radical Muslims could care less about any of this.

Well, I guess if you attach a soul to that pest, I suppose it would be difficult. I don't classify a dog fly with a child, and it would depend on how the child is being treated. If you treat someone like a pest, you'll get a pest.
If a house is full of roaches or fleas, what do you do, package them up and send them off to live somewhere else?
Skin So Soft is a repellant, not a cure all for a cloud of Dog Flies. Why don't you call Alabama and ask them?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
:popcorn:

SJ, are you going to release the recipe for your special bug stuff? I'm getting a little bit tired of Deep Woods Off, and the skeeters up here are extra nasty lately. (I also use Skin So Soft, but have to layer it with DEET. Skeeters think that I just use it to make my skin easier to penetrate.)

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The truck IS noisy and annoying! Definitely not healthy either. I don't like bugs either, but killing them at their source/nest/whatever is far preferable to being sprayed regularly with poison!

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Are these little bat-turds worse than yellow flies? I HATE yellow flies. :angry:

I was down there about 4 or 5 years ago and was bitten so many times that I started to swell up. We looked on the internet to see how to treat it and it said something like, "Yellow flies are prevailent in May and June. People who have allergies to yellow flies should not go outdoors during these months."

I would condone the use of napalm on them...