• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I have seen pictures where a baby turtle will walk into a track and not be able to get out and will have to walk along the track until it can, and now you can too below. These were from last year at Blue Mountain.

turtleintracks.jpg

TurtleinTireTracks2.jpg

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have seen pictures where a baby turtle will walk into a track and not be able to get out and will have to walk along the track until it can, and now you can too below. These were from last year at Blue Mountain.

turtleintracks.jpg

TurtleinTireTracks2.jpg

Since you actually know what you are talking about, I will continue this discussion with you. What do the turtle people say about tire tracks? How often does this really happen? And do they smooth over their own ATV tracks when they go out every day? The tire tracks above were obviously made by a county vehicle, since they are the only vehicles allowed on that part of the beach- should they be smoothing over their tire tracks?

Inquiring minds and all- and I trust you.

Before anyone asks me, I am not related to BeachSiO2.;-) :wave:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jdarg, no, the County vehicles don't drag boards or chains to smooth over their tracks. It has been suggested on this board that they do such. As for the turtle watchers, I am not one, but I know many of the watchers are volunteers whom walk their section on foot. Also, the ATV's which they use have much greater displacement than the trucks, and they don't create tracks nearly as deep. If a nest is made in Grayton Beach proper, where the vehicles are allowed, the turtle watchers will keep close watch on the hatching, and very likely assist the turtles if there are problems. I don't know this, just suspect this, because of the potential problems with the tire tracks and beach crap. I know there are turtle nests close by right now, but none in the driving area of Grayton. That doesn't mean they want nest there tonight.

I think it would be a great idea for the County beach trucks to have a chain bar which could be lowered when driving on the beach, in order to level out their tracks.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Since you actually know what you are talking about, I will continue this discussion with you. What do the turtle people say about tire tracks? How often does this really happen? And do they smooth over their own ATV tracks when they go out every day? The tire tracks above were obviously made by a county vehicle, since they are the only vehicles allowed on that part of the beach- should they be smoothing over their tire tracks?

Inquiring minds and all- and I trust you.

Before anyone asks me, I am not related to BeachSiO2.;-) :wave:

The guy I know got the pictures from Turtle Watch and they were a major problem with all of the post hurricane reconstruction and in dry weather. I also don't know how often it happens, but it is more prevalent when we have extremely dry weather because they don't get washed out and the sand is soft and fluffy. It's amazing how a little stormy weather HELPS our beaches. I can tell you this if a turtle nested in the driving area of Grayton Beach the odds of it making it to the water unimpeded would be low.

Up through last year, turtle watch did not drive ATV's but they may have changed that was probably state parks. I think they are all walkers. The county vehicles are typically the only ones who drive this area but I can tell you that TDC vehicles drag a rake behind them as requested by Turtle Watch so these are most likely either Code Enforcement or the Sheriff.

Like she said, we're not related :D

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
We're all related in God's eyes. Does anyone believe in reincarnation? Who knows whose spirit could be tryin' to make it to the ocean in that baby sea turtle's body.:cool: :ninja: Grayt photos BeachSiO2

Last edited:

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
Here, here! Along with cars, we should ban all non-local sunbathers. They just ain't fit like us Floridians. I'm worried one of our turtles could get trapped in a trench from one of those double wide crack tracks left on our beach by an out-of-shape-out-of-stater. We should use some of Kristi's taxes to buy some cushy towels and let non-locals sun themselves in comfort ..... on the new parking lots.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Here, here! Along with cars, we should ban all non-local sunbathers. They just ain't fit like us Floridians. I'm worried one of our turtles could get trapped in a trench from one of those double wide crack tracks left on our beach by an out-of-shape-out-of-stater. We should use some of Kristi's taxes to buy some cushy towels and let non-locals sun themselves in comfort ..... on the new parking lots.

I just got cushy towels for free from a blue tent :ninja: I take it you don't like guests. ;-)

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

Hold on now...I resemble that remark...:nono1: