• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I first noticed the sign yesterday morning on my way to work. By the time I was running errands that afternoon I passed 3 "dune buggies" driving down 30-A. No helmets or safety equipment beyond seat belts.

Of the 3:
-1 had a young adult male and a small child. The buggy was so loud he couldn't hear what the kid was trying to tell him.

-1 had 2 medium adult males who couldn't focus enough to keep the buggy in their lane.

-1 had 2 male teenagers who seemed to be the best drivers of the 3.

This is a BAD idea that is NOT going to end well!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I love scooters, but not in the hands of in-experienced riders. I wonder if helmets are even rented with the scooters. :dunno: Either way, it won't be long before someone crashes a rental scooter, or runs over someone, or into something. It has bad news written all over that business concept. I've seen too many near misses. One day, I saw a friend of mine almost go through the wall of the Red Bar on a scooter. I think she about had a heart attack. Instead of hitting the brake, she gave it more gas, and I think that is a common thing for inexperienced peeps. They try to tightly grip the handle bars
to brace for the impact, and all that does is open the throttle.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
earlier this month, we saw several instances of an adult and very small child riding a scooter down 30-A....no helmets!! Made me sick to my stomach.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone know the helmet laws in Florida? There is no law requiring adults to wear a helmet in Florida, but what about kids riding on motorized vehicles? :dunno: I believe helmets are required for kids (maybe under age 14, or so) on bicycles. I wonder if that age requirement also applies to scooters/motorcycles? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

ladyj

Beach Lover
Nov 29, 2006
Mopeds/Scooters: If a motor vehicle is 50 cc or less, 2 brake horsepower or less, and can not exceed more than 30 mph on level ground, no helmet is required for the operator. The operator must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator driver license (Class E) or ?Motorcycle Only? license.) Passengers under 16 must wear a helmet.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love scooters/vespas as a short distance transportation method. Saw some amazing examples of what they could carry in Italy. Seeing a toilet between someone's ankles makes me laugh at the claims that people need their giant pickups w/ additional rear wheels to transport things.

My concern is that these "dune buggies" are going to end up causing a lot of problems and accidents. I don't think they belong on the roads. They look like they'd be quite fun to drive in an offroad location, but not in a pedestrian heavy environment w/ many little kids on bikes and traffic.

The target demographic is not that of a responsible or attentive driver familiar w/ the roads!

hoover_rc

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2006
Old Seagrove
www.seasiderep.org
I'll try and take a picture of the dozen or so per day that pass in front on my quiet little Old Seagrove street. :bang:

Of course, I'll have to stop them with a baseball bat. Wouldn't want a blurry picture... :banging:

Since RO hasn't entered the discussion yet, pictures?

Aaaaahhhhhhh, you are learing Paigehopper..... :D

I'll try and take a picture of the dozen or so per day that pass in front on my quiet little Old Seagrove street. :bang:

Of course, I'll have to stop them with a baseball bat. Wouldn't want a blurry picture... :banging:

:rofl: This I hope to see on Youtube :lol:

And now my only other question is .......

:scratch: Will these rental dune buggies do a burnout :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I tried to get pics, but they had the dune buggies wrapped up in tarps by the time I got off work.

If someone else could manage, a picture of one of those things is worth a thousands words on why they don't need to be on 30A!