Favorite restaurants

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by taterbaby, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Thanks Beach Runner! I didn't see the WaterColor Market on there...great spot for picking up coffee and lunch. Good sandwiches and salads. I'm looking forward to trying out some new places!

2. Sunnystreak

Sunnystreak Beach Comber

My favorite is always Borogo. Excellent Food.Serving light dishes with fish and chicken to more hearty dishes like your favourite pasta dish. This place is beautiful, with a patio you can dine on that I like. Two of my favorite things served are the arugula saladwith gorgonzola cheese and walnuts with lemon and olive oil,Mmmmmmmmm... and the refreshing Belini. So, I like the food, the drinks and the atmosphere.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Be sure to check out the new Martini menu. Note, to get the arugula salad, you better go early because they tend to sell out quickly. My favorite dish is the Sea Scallop with roasted tomatoes appetizer, and I don't like tomatoes! You can also ask for it as a larger entree portion. Now, I am getting hungry. I guess the Fuji Apple and Guinness are not holding in there, but I will make it until tomorrow. My figure doesn't need any assistance in its current expansion anyway.

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

AGREEEEEE...those sea scallops are so good, I ask for the entree portion!!! I am so glad that Borago has caught on! We've been going there religiously since it opened...sometimes being close to the only diners there! One thing has not changed...the people and the food are fantastic!! CHOCOLATE CREME BRULEE????? OMG, that is the best dessert on 30-A!!

5. Sunnystreak

Sunnystreak Beach Comber

Where are the more atsy modern places to hang out in the evening say in Seaside or WaterColor. Places with some live jazz or acoustic or funky art with a young artsy crowd. Maybe soewhere with a latin beat or another cultural or time set. Anyone know of anything like that?? I haven't been down in a couple of years and know things have changed. I am looking for special spunky without being spooky places to chill out and rub elbows with people like me. Not moms and dads and kidddie-poos. :dunno:

6. Sunnystreak

Sunnystreak Beach Comber

Thanks for the heads up on the arugula salad. I have to start with that there, I always do.

7. Sunnystreak

Sunnystreak Beach Comber

like any wine bars, festivals, drumming circles, art shows, Seside jamborie or something?

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Wine Spectator ranked Vin'tij Wine Boutique & Bistro in Destin with a BAE (Best of Award of Excellence).

Here's my latest list. I included the URLs for those that I could find.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  9. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Thanks BR...I posted elsewhere that I printed your list and sent it with my husband to put in the guestbook along with the address for the BEST web site ever....www.sowal.com!

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Don't think you will find that here. The closest thing to Latin music is CoCo's mexican restaurant on Sat night for Salsa Dancing, but the crowd is not the artsy fartsy type.

Mostly, this area is family oriented. Try the Red Bar or 3 Thirty One.

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I am laughing so hard I can't breathe!!! Sunnystreak, I love your words...drumming circle, jamboree. Wasn't there a thread about activities going on a while back? For my money, I want to be on the beach in a chair (NO TENT) watching Smiling JOe "drum" some sense in to the dune crushers, no matter what they are wearing!!!!

12. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

The Old Florida Fish House off of 30-A has a nice bar and live music. We liked it (the food) so much we went back twice. We did eat in the restaurant area with the kiddie-poos, but wish we were with out them so we could go and enjoy the younger crowd in the bar area. Great food. Fine service. Nice seafood bisque.

13. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Borago is amazing. The drinks are top in the area. Unfortunately Jay, the best bartender and great conversationalist is no longer bartending there! I believe he started a family and decided to quit the bartending gig. He was the BEST though! Especially the Belinni Martinis.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

FYI- Jay can be found next door at Johnny Earle's "Criollas." He took a management job there and seems very happy with the change. Jay is an awesome guy.

15. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Really??? I'll definitely have to swing in there and say hi! I thought he was just playing Mr. Mom! Good to know...thanks!

16. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

kim everyone knows that goatfeathers is the best!!!

17. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Gross. Please, let's not go there.

18. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

don't ruin it for me i love it!!

19. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Please. You worked there. You know the dirty little secrets! :shock:

20. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

Mrs. Svelte and I spent a hot, but fun, afternoon checking out the boat show at the Santa Rosa mall in Mary Esther. They had more and bigger (up to 32?) boats on display than at the show at the Superdome for which you fork out $10 per to have some shill try to sell you a bass boat. It was low key and pleasant except for the heat.

By the time we got home, neither of us wanted to cook. We thought about going to Vin?tij, but ended up bopping over to Bistro Bijoux, simply because it was closer. We started with steamed mussels in tomatoes, white wine & chorizo sausage with some fantastic bread for dipping up the leftover sauce ? excellent. We split a Caesar-like salad of romaine, roasted tomatoes, and peppers ? good, but Mrs. Svelte was not impressed with the creamy dressing. For entrees, I had a roasted grouper filet topped with a tomato & asparagus confit with portabello mushroom fritters. Splashed with garlic infused aioli. Wow! Mrs. Svelte opted for grilled garlic shrimp served atop grits topped by asparagus and a tarragon sauce. At this point we were both stuffed, but couldn?t pass up the key lime cheesecake with raspberry/mango sauce. It was all very, very good with an attentive and friendly server.

We give it 4 ? forks. :clap_1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.