• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

30-A is close in front of Somerset Bridge Road. If you have kids that are supposed to ride the bus home, you'd better go get them instead. I'm on my way.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country

This is just terrible. So sorry y'all are going through this. It's very scary.

Last edited:

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove

Viewing the smoke from Ryan St (Summer's Edge)....
smoke seems somewhat less in the last 5 minutes....praying they have contained it...have been told it is straight behind ANGELINA'S .....several blocks onbehind the restaurant....not directly behind.....the winds are blowing the smoke to the south. Lots of sirens and emergency vehicles have roared down 30A from the east.....I was told that a forestry flatbed with equipment is there also....

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County

Two Bungalows have burned and one home in the community to the north. Not sure what specific ones.
This is confirmed by an eye witness who lives in that community.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

DSCN0682sm.jpg

DSCN0681sm.jpg

Photos courtesy of Abe Drinkin, who was live on scene soon after the fire broke out. He orgininally stated that the fire was behind Tom Thumb, but from his description, it sounds like it is one block east and north of Seagrove Tom Thumb. In the first photo, you can see the closest palm tree on the right, next to the fence, is on fire.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound

Just got off the phone with the fire dept. 13 homes involved three homes lost. It has not been contained at this time.

Will keep you posted when I hear something else.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

From Abe Drinkin's report (I've not seen the fire), this fire is far from being contained. He said that it is very likely that some houses will catch on fire. He left the scene because of all the smoke. They were shopping over at Larder and Bella Flora, with no fire in sight, and when they came out, they saw what is shown in the photos. I'm sure the police have closed the roads in that area.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound

From Abe Drinkin's report (I've not seen the fire), this fire is far from being contained. He said that it is very likely that some houses will catch on fire. He left the scene because of all the smoke. They were shopping over at Larder and Bella Flora, with no fire in sight, and when they came out, they saw what is shown in the photos. I'm sure the police have closed the roads in that area.

fire dept. says road closed from 395 to 98

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

i'm in Destin and fire truck after fire truck is speeding past. they are coming from niceville and ft. walton. hope they get there soon!
Firetrucks from Freeport have also passed by, heading that way. I am glad to see such quick response from the FD, and assistance from other fire dpts in the area. Those brave men and women are earning their paychecks this week.