• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

From the Walton Sun site:

May 08, 2007
Staff reports
Another fire has erupted in Walton County, this time forcing authorities to shut down a portion of County Road 30A in Seagrove. Preliminary reports indicate that several structures near Summerset Bridge Road and Robert Ellis Street were threatened by a fire of unknown dimensions. Firefighters responding on the scene reported at least three structures fully engulfed.
Residents and visitors are encourged to evacuate the area and stay off the roads to accomodate emergency vehicles.
School officials are asking Seagrove area parents to pick up their children from school, as busses will not be running through the area.
The Walton Sun will periodically update this page as information becomes available.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL

I hear another set rolling down 30-A now - yikes!!!:eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Please stay out of the Emergency Vehicles and Workers way!!! I cannot enphasize the importance of this.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

If y'all can just get through the next 24 hours or so without the whole county catching on fire, things should improve with some higher dewpoints and more humidity. Y'all hang in there.

Prayers coming from 250 miles north.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay

My husband was down on 30A when the fire trucks started to arrive and they headed up Somerset Bridge. He noticed another fire off to the east behind Rolling Tides (Sugar Sand Lane) and went up there to investigate. Sure enough a grass fire had started in the grounds of Rollin' Tides and was spreading fast. They managed to get the sprinkler sytem going and alert the residents there, and last I heard things seemed to be under control. This really windy weather sure isn't helping things.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound

If y'all can just get through the next 24 hours or so without the whole county catching on fire, things should improve with some higher dewpoints and more humidity. Y'all hang in there.

Prayers coming from 250 miles north.

prayers from your easterly neighbor in the 'ham too!

just got a call from my dear friend lisa_at_the_beach, she stated she was headed to my house....anything you want me to save....I said "everything!"...there is six years of crap crammed in that house!

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach

I hear another set rolling down 30-A now - yikes!!!:eek:

Seagrover make sure the wheels on your bike have plenty of air in case you have to evacuate.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

While I am unable to do anything today, if you own a place in this immediate area of the fire, and need for me to check and report on its status, send me a pm, including the address of your property, and I will get over there in the morning and report back on this board with a new thread. I am sorry to hear that houses are being lost, and I just hope that no lives are lost also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Houses can be replaced, even if they are greatly treasured.