• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

I was over by Tom Thumb right after the fire started and spoke to a couple of guys that are staying near by..said there was a loud explosion and then all hell broke lose....I am wondering about the storage units behind Beachside. Just got off the phone with my office Pelican, next to Trustmark and they are being evacuated at this moment and Kathy said things were worse. Pray.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington

While I am unable to do anything today, if you own a place in this immediate area of the fire, and need for me to check and report on its status, send me a pm, including the address of your property, and I will get over there in the morning and report back on this board with a new thread. I am sorry to hear that houses are being lost, and I just hope that no lives are lost also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Houses can be replaced, even if they are greatly treasured.

Ditto. We will help out in any way as well.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

I just got back from near the fire.

30A is blocked off from 395 to Eastern Lake. I overheard a Sheriff's radio saying they needed all available units to help with the evacuation. I've seen 4 Forestry trucks with big Caterpillars head up the road beside Cocoon's. Forestry also has a plane circling to observe. I was there 30 minutes and the smoke didn't diminish at all, so I'd say it's far from over. Looks like the majority of fire trucks, etc. are working near Tom Thumb. My neighbor just left to take water for a lady's dog, she was evacuated out of her house north of Cocoon's. Wind is still stiff out of the north.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay

Mandatory evacuation ordered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 08, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mandatory evacuation has been ordered for all areas near Ellis Road in Seagrove due to a raging wildfire in the area.

Residents can go to the Freeport Community Center, an area that just last yesterday was home to residents of the Black Creek community.

?It?s amazing,? said reporter Joyce Owen calling from the fire command center on County Road 30A. ?If this had been Seaside, it would have been a whole other story.?

Owen said she is still moving towards the fire with firefighters and has yet to reach the site.
?The sky is just filled with black smoke. You look to the north and you see beautiful blue sky. You do a 180 degree turn and you see nothing but smoke and darkness.?

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL

I hope I'm not going to be homeless. :sosad:

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL

save the kitty! i am having pinks there friday afternoon! she better save the pinks!

OK - as soon as SJ leaves to pump up my bike tires, I'm heading out with Bubba, Mikie and Catfish (Mayor of Seagrove) and all the PINk ingredients in my bicycle basket - think it will fit?

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood

OK - as soon as SJ leaves to pump up my bike tires, I'm heading out with Bubba, Mikie and Catfish (Mayor of Seagrove) and all the PINk ingredients in my bicycle basket - think it will fit?

This is so scary! Please be careful!

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach

Seriously, please be ready to evacuate. You know how I freak out in these types of situations. :blink:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

I just heard that the Shreiffs are getting ready to evacuate along 30 south of the fire.