• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

Sure - you do realize this is a "bicycle basket" we are talking about here - I'll have all kinds of arms, legs and paws coming out of the sides!!!

just run up on the third floor (you'd think i'd be skinny by now) and go the the gulf side of the house and save my vintage porcelain mermaid collection...they are very small...have the kitty's hold them.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

We're here too, on the West end... if anyone needs us to check on your homes, please PM us also. SJ, if you need help, please let me know!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Just got back home. Was headed to Publix and saw the smoke....lots of smoke. Officers had 30A closed at 395. Immediately called gttbm and Mermaid. gttbm was down at Seacrest and Mermaid was at Beachmom's. Mermaid is now home and just saw a plane dump water on the fire. I can't tell you how many emergency vehicles I saw behind me on 30A (yes, I pulled way over) and heading south on 395. Truly scary. Thanks for all the eyewitness reports.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Mermaid is at the scene- fire plane just made the 3rd drop of chemicals. She said that it looks like things are dying down a bit.

IBD just called - another huge fire in PCB- she said it appears to be in about the same place as yesterday.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL

One of my neighbors that works at Publix - Inlet Beach - said it is the same fire as yesterday - that it has restarted - this is really scarey!!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Kimmi just called...I told her Florida is the new California. :sosad: She was very freaked out for sowal. Then she started talking to people passing by and I hung up on her.

Sheila

SoWal Insider

Is it bad enough down there that we should drive down and be prepared to protect our home? That's about 1/2 mile from us!

NO! I just saw your house. If I had your dang number I would have called to see if we could park there. The road is closed right there at Eastern Lake. The firefighters are doing an outstanding job of getting this fire out before any more homes are lost. The AirForce and Niceville have sent in trucks.

Our guests that are staying at Beachwood went down and helped putting the fire out as well. He's a city of Atlanta Policeman.

We were in Seacrest and when I got the call panicked . We had left our furbabies at home. Fortunately, our Atl. neighbors are here and came and got them to the Southside of 30-a. But your house is fine and dandy.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay

13 houses confirmed by Sheriff's Office as "destroyed" in the Somerset Bridge area. Mandatory evac from Tom Thumb to one mile east. No word on whether the Fire Dept. is making progress.

Last I saw, Rolling Tides condos and neighboring businesses had not been damaged (although the Rolling Tides grounds are a little scorched looking).

Lois' husband

Last edited:

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL

Mermaid is at the scene- fire plane just made the 3rd drop of chemicals. She said that it looks like things are dying down a bit.

Was a C-130 out of Lakeland, FL with a 5,000 lb. payload of orange chemical in the 3 dumps. Then flew east back over the PCB fire and towards Lakeland. Maybe it will fill up again and come back.