Fire in SoWal -- Seagrove Beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, May 8, 2007.

1. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

Once again, we can see the value of this board. Many of us began our addiction to SoWal.com during Ivan--when it was the only source of info. about the conditions before and after the storm. SoWal.com is still the best source of "breaking news" in the area. Thanks Kurt :clap_1: :wub: .

I am so glad that everyone is o.k. Thanks to all the emergency crews for their hard work--they've had a busy few days.

So sorry for the loss of property.

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks to all the citizen journalists and photojournalists. :clap_1:

We had a fire in our neighborhood a few years ago and nearly lost our house so I know how worrisome it is. thanks again SWFD. :wub:

3. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

One house destroyed in Somerset Bridge.

4. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

That is terrible. Those houses in that neighborhood are mostly permanent residences.

5. Gypsea

Gypsea Beach Fanatic

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/4849

Our hearts go out to our seagrove neighbors. Let's all pray for rain and for the winds to die down. By the way the plane is a P3 (like Cap'n Crazy used to fly when he was a young'n). He doesn't like that last comment though.

6. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

Not to be trite...but a tradegy like this shows someone like me, who does not live in the area, or have a home in the area, just how tight the family in the area is!!!:wub:

I am hoping everyone is OK and unscathed personally. Of course I realize that something like this touches the whole community! No one person is totally unscathed :sosad:

7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Yay SoWal.com!! What a valuable resource this board was today!!:clap_1:

8. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

Definitely! I've been out all day and am reading this thread as fast as I can; so sorry to hear of the loss of homes, but so thankful I'm not reading about any injuries or fatalities.

9. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

So sorry for those of you that lost your homes. :sosad:

10. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Although many of the homes on that street are permanent residences, I'm told that fortunately, all of the homes that burned were second homes. So although it's very sad and bad news for the owners, it could have been worse. I've heard that neighbors and workers in the area worked very hard to save homes close to the first house that burned down. They continuously were hosing down the house one empty lot away and probably saved this permanent residence.

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I appreciate the praise, but I was not on the scene. I was just reporting what I heard first hand from Abe Drinkin'. I will try to get over there in the morning for a little report on damaged properities. If you want to thank someone, write a note to the SWFD and thank those brave women and men who put their lives on the line for us, every day. They might not do much during the average day, but they mean the world to us when it counts.

12. Beachmom

Beachmom Beach Fanatic

Just went outside, smells so smokey. Is everything out-:dunno: ?? I'm kind of scared to go to bed:eek: So sorry to everyone who has lost.....

Those firemen are incredible!! A big thank you there!!

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The house in this picture appears to be 332 Somerset bridge road, and belongs to some people in Loveland, OH.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I know that most of the homes which were burned or damaged were second homes, but if anyone is displaced and needs a place to stay, please send me a private message, and I will hook you up with a place to stay, or do my damnest trying to find you a place to hang your hat for a while.

15. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

A worker in a store on the south side of 30A across the street from the Trustmark Bank and Angelinas said they first noticed the fire when they heard flying ash pelting their windows.

Houses at the end of Ellis street had flames up to their back yards.

Fire reached a yard of a house just 2 blocks away from Cafe 30A. It melted a vinyl fence along side the dwelling before it was extinguished.

The below picture is of one of two homes destroyed in The Bungalows of Seagrove. It is tilted over because the pilings burned out from under it.

Just after this pictures was taken flames erupted again in the woods to the left.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Thanks for the report, Hi and Dry. That house in your attachment looks like 114 Somerset Bridge Rd. I have a some business to attend to tomorrow, for most of the day, but I will try to make a run over there first thing tomorrow to take some photos and update everyone with a report and photo overview. Please don't let that stop anyone else who cares to post their reports.

If 114 and 118 Somerset, both were destroyed/damaged from the fire, as I guess from the visuals seen in the first hand reports (my guess from looking at the photos), my guess is that 116 probably also suffered substantial damage.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  17. lindatat

lindatat quirty

I have been reading all of this and am just beside myself. My thoughts and prayers to all affected by these fires and I hope & pray for rain.

18. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

Below was the other house destroyed in The Bungalows of Seagrove.

There maybe more damaged buildings in the Bungalows but it this is all that could be seen because the far east end of the complex was closed off by EMS and Fire vehicle activity.

At 8 PM the SW firefighters and the Forestry Service were still watering everything down and I assume some will be there all night.

19. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I could have sworn I smelled smoke again this morning. I am hoping it was just my imagination.

I would like to personally thank all the fine folks that kept us updated on the fire yesterday. I can tell you that everyone I spoke with in Publix and Movies by the Sea had a different spin on what was happening. From abe drinkin reporting on the spot and bb posting factual info from the fire dept., it certainly helped calm some nerves. SoWal.com is certainly the place for breaking news. As a non resident Walton Co. tax payer, I am awed and pleased by the cooperation of so many fire departments working together. Thank you for keeping us safe. :clap_1:

20. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible

So sorry for those who lost their homes.:sosad:
    Thanks to the fire department for preventing even more damage. :wub:
    Thanks to everyone who called me or pm'ed me to reassure me or offer to check on my house.:wub:
    Thanks to the people who checked on my house.:wub:
    Thanks for this message board for the valuable information it provides, as well as friendships and entertainment.:wub:

Unfortunately, like my husband said, it's not over -- until we get a good rain, the area is still at risk of more fires.:eek: