For what are ye thankful?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

2. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Yup- in the sweats right now. May not take them off all day!

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Look- I found a 2 year old Thanksgiving thread!! I look forward to reading the whole thing later. Couldn't find the 2006 thread- will keep looking.

Happy reminiscing to you all----:wub:

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:clap:...I'll read it later. But, it's a good one to bring back, because I was out picking up pecans in the backyard with the cold winds blowing in (and making the pecans fall like little bombs) and thought...this is something to be thankful for! :D

5. DD

DD SoWal Expert

I sooooooo remember this thread!! Thanks for bringing it back! I'm gonna read it now because I'm stuck here at the office waiting for a dinner I have to go to at 6:00. I do remember the cornbread though...:D

6. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I'm thankful that I have wonderful friends and family to celebrate Thanksgiving with and the resources to go always* go home for the holidays. :D

*when I am on the same continent

7. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

:funn:I LOVED THIS!!!!!!

I went back and read this whole thread. Thank you again jdarg. While I was reading it, I thought to myself.....and now she is there permantely. :wub::wave:

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

On the small scale, I'm thankful to have internet at my house. On the big scale, I am very thankful to know many wonderful people and pets who I call my friends and family. I am also thankful that I am in good health and able to do so many things.

9. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Miss K, please share your wisdom on how you find picking up pecans to be something to be thankful for as I need the inspiration. We have 2 large trees in our yard and I despise dealing with them. Share your wisdom, please.

10. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

The gifts of nature, knowledge, faith, understanding, tolerance, "family", and a good Margarita! tb

11. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

Pecans, shelled and picked, put in zip lock bags make wonderful gifts. :wub:

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

It's a bumper crop this year...I thought the web worms and squirrels were going to get them all! It's like an Easter Egg hunt and I love finding them! They are delicious! Tomorrow, I am getting the rake out! :wave:

P.S. I am a cheap date!

13. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

I guess it is just a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like to eat them or bake with them. The only way I will eat them is hidden in fudge and then finely chopped.

We have a bumper crop too, they are everywhere, and my trees are right over my patio which makes a huge mess. Squirrels nibble on them constantly and make a mess on the patio and you can't walk for stepping on them. I have almost fallen over them several times.

Dbuck if you get to Memphis, I will gladly give you all you can carry home with you :clap: and you know if they would fall from the trees, shelled and in zip lock bags I think I could really get into liking them. :lol:

But what I am thankful for is when they are all gone and my husband has raked the yard and every pecan and hull is gone. Yaaa.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  14. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

Oooh, Minnie, I wish I lived close..we would come and take them all. I LOVE fresh pecans. I always buy them when I'm down south. I love to make pecan pie. We had walnut trees growng up but they were such a pain.

15. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

Dbuck if you get to Memphis, I will gladly give you all you can carry home with you :clap: and you know if they would fall from the trees, shelled and in zip lock bags I think I could really get into liking them. :lol:

It's a deal!!! Oh please, shell them and put them in zip lock bags....that's what my mother does. :clap: Mother's trees didn't produce many pecans this year....or so she says.:lol:

16. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

As I told my husband when we married, I don't do windows, mow the lawn, or shell pecans. You are welcome to them, but they come with the shells on them. :floor:

Actually my Mother and Aunt came and got baskets full and my neighbors in their 70's did too. Then they give me about 3 large bags full already shelled and that will last me for years.

Even then I still have hundreds on the ground and that many more in the trees. We usually have a bumper crop about every other year. We lost hundreds to the squirrels when they were green and to limbs breaking from the weight of the pecans.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  17. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

I am thankful for bein' alive today, and all the people and critters I have to :wub:!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Still topping our list! Along with his Mommy, Daddy and Uncle "Alan". ;-)
    All my SoWal ax murder friends too. :D

19. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

:wub::wub::wub::wave: He's growing up on us!!!!!!

20. DD

DD SoWal Expert

:wub: