• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Danny wrote;
Waltonparent, you are correct about the use of the hospital in the short-term. And it may be years before it increases. But killing its potential for growth if the need arises makes no sense.

Even when Healthmark was Walton County Hospital it never really made money. Whose backside are you trying to blow smoke up? If you will remember, when Walton Hospital closed it's doors the County forgave their bond debt (costing the taxpayers plenty) and allowed the "powers that be" to go in and remove all the medical equipment including the beds and move it to Healthmark without a penny going back into the County coiffures.

I seriously doubt Healthmark will ever be anything more than a band aid station unless they get rid of the "players" in that operation and employ quality health care professionals. Since the City of Defuniak doesn't appear to want growth in our area Waltonparent is right.

Waltonparent wrote;
If they can make more money, create a better life for their families and more opportunities for their children somewhere else, why would they chose to move to DFS?

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Oh wait...I lied about growth....I hear we have a new PIZZA place opening downtown.:D

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
This is now a moot point as the hospital dropped it's opposition per today's paper. But Misty, I am not trying to blow smoke to anyone. Just stating that when you remove the opinions about the current players and focus on the long-term, then your perspective changes. I know what has always been in DFS and I know all the bad history concerning the county hospital, the equipment heist etc. etc. What is done is done. But if we ever are going to change things, then you must work on improving. Part of drawing quality economic development is having a quality healthcare system. I want that for North Walton County. I want quality jobs and I want to expand the tax base through development. We can continue to cry about what is in the past and who has done what to whom, or we can focus on building a future. I want to focus on building the future.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
This is now a moot point as the hospital dropped it's opposition per today's paper. But Misty, I am not trying to blow smoke to anyone. Just stating that when you remove the opinions about the current players and focus on the long-term, then your perspective changes. I know what has always been in DFS and I know all the bad history concerning the county hospital, the equipment heist etc. etc. What is done is done. But if we ever are going to change things, then you must work on improving. Part of drawing quality economic development is having a quality healthcare system. I want that for North Walton County. I want quality jobs and I want to expand the tax base through development. We can continue to cry about what is in the past and who has done what to whom, or we can focus on building a future. I want to focus on building the future.

Then why don't you work on geting rid of the morons who run this City instead of acting like they are part of the solution when in actuality they are the PROBLEM!

You can talk about all the changes you want to see "till the cows come home" but it's not going to change a damn thing until the people who have held Defuniak Springs hostage for the last decade are dead and gone!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I think the reason the hospital (Clayton Adkinson) dropped their opposition is he finally realized he'd bitten off just a tad more than he could chew. To many people at the State level could severely hamper his ability to do business in this county.

You can piss off all the locals you want with foolhardy BS (preventing growth etc.) but you mess with the State and they have a tendency to get even.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Don't forget about the county administrative jobs that keep popping up.

Oh yeah....that's called economic growth. I forgot about that!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
It's hard to build a future if the crappy foundation isn't addressed first.

Maybe I could have said it better but you got the point! :D

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Then why don't you work on geting rid of the morons who run this City instead of acting like they are part of the solution when in actuality they are the PROBLEM!

You can talk about all the changes you want to see "till the cows come home" but it's not going to change a damn thing until the people who have held Defuniak Springs hostage for the last decade are dead and gone!

Where did I say anyone was part of the solution? Or the problem for that matter? As far as the city, I do not live in the city so I cannot vote in city elections. As far as the county, I spent the last few months talking about these same things. And North of the bay especially around DFS people voted my way. South of the bay was another matter entirely. But the only way I know to fix the "crappy foundation" is to keep trying to convince the voters to make changes. I believe you do that by showing how you can make things better, not calling people names and talking about stuff that is history and that no one can ever go back and change.