• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Looking further into Florida Energy Associates, LLC, I came across a bunch of stuff that is sending a chill down my spine. Apparently, part of their lobbying approach is to promise that the oil they're after is in the smallest counties and not a threat to the real population of Florida -- those along the Atlantic and in the Keys and Pinellas.

But if Florida Energy Associates gets its wish, what will Florida get? According to company officials, residents will see:

• Drilling for oil, not gas, but in only limited areas along the Gulf Coast, including off Pasco and Hernando counties and up in the Panhandle. However, there could be no drilling off Pinellas County's beaches, in the Keys or anywhere along the Atlantic coast.

• Blue-collar crew jobs on the rigs, but nothing for supervisors, who will likely be imported from Louisiana. The rigs will also require supplies ferried in by boats, not helicopters.

•Construction work building underwater pipelines — the source of most offshore spills — to carry the oil to Louisiana.

•No refineries, but some onshore facilities such as a plant to separate oil from the pollution-laden water that comes up with it. That could create further debates about where such a facility could be.
Oil drilling off Florida's coast means jobs and money, proponents say; questions remain - St. Petersburg Times

We should all be paying attention to incoming house speaker Dean Cannon (R-Orlando) and Florida Energy Associates. There is apparently nothing remotely Floridian about the group, and they aren't willing to reveal their identities.

View attachment 14570

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Excellent idea! How can I help? We cannot overestimate the seriousness of the implications of near-shore drilling. Greed preys on fear once again.

istockphoto_6739364-united-we-stand.jpg

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
A clarification from Senator Don Gaetz

I received a call from Senator, Don Gaetz in the past hour and would like to clarify his position on this Bill. He felt I mischaracterized his position having stated he was among politicians "advocating" the bill. I apologized to him and asked him to state his position on near shore oil drilling.

Don told me his voting history speaks for itself and that he has not voted on the bill and would consider the bill if it is brought to the Senate taking into regard the economic, military and environmental impacts. He verified his position stated in the article below.

Don will be emailing me on Monday with a more in depth statement regarding his position on the matter. I have known Don personally for the past 24 years and it is my sincere hope when all is said and done he will stand with us in opposition to near shore drilling.

The fact remains that all of our local representatives in the House voted for this bill and this article confirms that it is being considered if certain issues regarding the military are satisfied. At some time in the near future a version of the house bill could go before the State Senate. As concerned Floridian's we should follow this matter very closely.

Local lawmakers: oil drilling bill must include military protections
Comments 2 | Recommend 1
September 12, 2009 05:50:00 PM
By MATT DIXON / News Herald Writer
PANAMA CITY — In April, the Florida House passed a bill that would allow the governor and cabinet authority to accept applications for oil and gas drilling as close as three miles off Florida's beaches.

Both area House members supported the legislation, which was never considered by the Senate, but only after provisions were made to protect the Panhandle’s five military bases.

“Jimmy Patronis and I both worked together to ensure that the bill had language that explicitly protected the area’s military interests,” said Rep. Marti Coley, R – Marianna.

With speaker-designate Rep. Dean Cannon, R – Winter Park, and Sen. Mike Haridopolos, R – Merritt Island, in line to become Senate President, set to co-author a similar piece of oil drilling legislation, the topic of oil drilling near the beaches of Bay County, and other coastal areas statewide, is again fast approaching.

Area lawmaker’s priorities, however, remain unchanged.

“If there is any type of military mission that could be affected by a drilling plan, I won’t support it,” Patronis, R – Panama City, said.

Because last session there was no companion to the House bill in the Senate, and Senate President Jeff Atwater, R – North Palm Beach, citing time restraints, refused to take up the House bill, Sen. Don Gaetz, R – Niceville, never got the opportunity to officially chime in on the issue.

He says, however, that he stands in lock step with Coley and Patronis.

“I am with the military,” he said. “If a bill would make us vulnerable in any way, or put us in danger of having any missions being picked off by Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid. … I will be the loudest voice saying, ‘Let’s slow down.’”

Gaetz said he thinks the issue will inevitably re-appear during the legislature regular session, but that talks of offshore oil drilling coming up during a potential two-day special session in October are pre-mature.

“I think it will come up again, and I think there will be companion bills with strong sponsors,” Gaetz said. “But it will not be a special session issue unless it’s a special session devoted entirely to the topic.

Coley said that talks she has had with House leadership about protecting military interests have gone well.

“I actually spoke with the speaker-designate about protecting the military when considering drilling off of our coast,” she said. “He told me. ‘That’s a given.’”

Hands Across the Sand
-Join us to stop near shore Oil Drilling In Florida Waters

The Florida House of Representatives has already passed a bill that would allow NEAR SHORE oil drilling, that’s within 3 miles of our beaches. The bill would allow pipelines to run to the shore as well. Texas Oil interests have bought off every lobbyist and politician against near-shore oil drilling in our waters. Unless something is done we will have Oil derricks in sight of and fouling our beaches in the near future.

David Pleat is running for District 7 House of Representatives, and we had a meet and greet at Bud & Alley's on October 1. While the election is far off, David is bringing attention to the fact that we may soon have Oil platforms off our coast unless something is done. David spoke eloquently about the importance of stopping Texas Oil interests from fouling our beaches.

The politicians are promising to fix all the states ills, you name it, as a sweetener to get it passed fully. Don Gaetz, our Senator is advocating it. Every representative in our area already voted for it. They had a quick vote at the end of session and the public hardly knows what happened. In the near future they will be trying to pass this fully by tacking it on the gambling pact that is up for a vote with the Seminole Tribe.

This issue affects our quality of life and tourism. This could happen as soon as December or sooner. Most politicians are trying to divert attention to the fact that they voted for this bill, many are already backpedaling. If we make this issue visible and create a groundswell of opposition the bill could be stopped but we must act quickly.

This is not a partisan issue this is a Florida issue. Our beaches are sacred no matter what your race, religion, sex or political affiliation. We need to come together on this issue for our children and grandchildren. Thank you for your help in passing this along to all Florida citizens. A website will be coming out soon, handsacrossthesand.org.

This is what I am suggesting we do.

Hands Across The Sand

Premise:

Initiate a movement to encourage the Concerned Citizens of Florida on a chosen day to join hands on the beach along the 1197 statute miles of Florida Coastline or the Florida Gulf Coast (779 miles) for 15 minutes to create a human line in the sand for the purpose of opposing the eminent legislation to allow near shore oil exploration along the pristine coast of Florida.

This is an effort to "Draw a line in the Sand" against near shore oil drilling in our waters. "We have a choice. Do we want a pristine white line or an oil-drenched polluted one? Believe me, it will be black as oil if this bill passes"

All we have to do is simply go to the beach and join hands for 15 minutes, simple right? This could happen as soon as next month so we need to get the word out. We will be choosing the day next week.

This should get national attention and we very well could stop this legislation in its tracks.

Number of People needed for the whole state
1056 people per mile (one every 5 feet) x 1197 miles = 1,264,032 people

Number of People needed for the Gulf Coast of Florida only
1056 people per mile (one every 5 feet) x 770 miles = 813,120 people

Thanks for your support,

Dave Rauschkolb

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
“I am with the military,” he said. “If a bill would make us vulnerable in any way, or put us in danger of having any missions being picked off by Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid. … I will be the loudest voice saying, ‘Let’s slow down.’”
I suppose that means they've taken the Destin Dome -- the primary oil formation these guys say they are going after -- off the table? I wonder if Sen. Gaetz and our other representatives would be willing to publicly support protecting the dome a la the shore off Pinellas County?

As an aside, did I miss the civics class where they explained how the Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader could scrub military practice training missions? I think it's the commander that said drilling in the Destin dome would make Eglin redundant.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Dear Mr. Gaetz,

Not voting is just as bad as voting for the bill. Grow a spine, grow up, and vote how your constituents want you too.

Sincerely,

Someone who does vote

---------------------------------------------
Dear Representatives Coley and Patronis,

Not all of us work for or receive benefits from the military. This is not the only economic engine in the area and we still need tourism. Obviously planes will still fly with an oil slick in the Gulf, but the tourists will not come.

Specifically Mr. Patronis once you hit term limits it will probably force you back to working in your family business. The one that is supported primarily by tourists. Don't worry about my or others futures, but remember your own. I don't care how good your food is, it's hard to cook if you can't get local seafood because oil killed it. It's also hard to eat when all you can smell is petroleum fumes.

Sincerely,

One of your constituents

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Article posted by Rapunzel tells it all.

Powerful gulf oil drilling lobby faces strong resistance in Florida

By Lucy Morgan and Mary Ellen Klas, Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau
In Print: Monday, April 27, 2009

TALLAHASSEE ? Dangling the promise of millions for the state's dwindling budget, a group of mostly unidentified oil and gas companies is bankrolling a last-minute fight to bring offshore drilling to Florida's coastline.

Florida Energy Associates LLC, a corporation formed in December by Daytona Beach lawyer Doug Daniels, has hired at least 20 of the state's most prominent lobbyists to push bills through the Legislature in the final week of the session. Most of the lobbyists were hired in the past 10 days, but the proposal has been planned for months.

The measure, slated for votes in the House and Senate this week, would give the governor and Cabinet authority to approve oil and gas exploration 3 to 10 miles off the Florida coast.

The sudden appearance of the issue near the end of a troubled legislative session has sparked outrage from environmental groups and Democrats in both houses who question why it surfaced with little time for discussion and debate.

Gov. Charlie Crist initially said he was willing to look at the measure but has since questioned the way lawmakers have rushed the bill through.

"Whenever you do something like that, you want to make sure that it's well thought out, that it's done in a very deliberate manner and that people have an opportunity to review it in a reasonable way," Crist said Friday.

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, and Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink have joined the fray, denouncing the proposal and saying they can't believe any Florida lawmaker would seriously consider letting oil drilling occur so close to the state's priceless beaches.

Nelson contends there is not enough oil available to justify the environmental risk. Supporters of the bill say Nelson's view of oil drilling is outdated because new technology would allow drilling without unsightly offshore rigs and little danger of oil spills.

The group intends to use a seismic tool that uses satellite technology to pinpoint oil and gas reserves, said M. Lance Phillips, a Texas lawyer who is a principal partner in Florida Energy Associates. He said the investors believe Florida's potential includes "several major oil fields" within the Gulf of Mexico.

Once the plan is approved, Phillips said, a test well could be drilled within 10 days, and oil tapped within 18 months.

Associated Industries of Florida, the state's most prominent business lobbying group, is leading the fight for the bill, but no one will identify all of those who are paying for an expensive lobbying and public relations campaign that now includes television and newspaper advertising.

Phillips of Mexia, Texas, and Dallas lawyer William Lewis Sessions appeared before a House committee considering the issue last week. Phillips owns Oil and Gas Acquisitions, an independent oil and gas exploration company, and is the chairman of the Limestone County Republican Party. Sessions, the son of former FBI Director William Sessions and brother of Texas congressman Pete Sessions, represents oil company clients, as well as the Cherokee Indians of Texas.

Daniels, the Daytona Beach lawyer who formed the corporation, says others helping finance the campaign "prefer not to have the notoriety."

"They prefer not to have other people in the oil business know they are looking in Florida," Daniels said Saturday.

Daniels said his group filed the original bill earlier this year. That bill (H1219) would have directed the Department of Environmental Protection to come up with a plan for developing offshore oil reserves. The bill was expanded last week with an amendment filed by Rep. Dean Cannon, R-Winter Park.

Cannon said he decided to push the issue late in the session after Associated Industries president Barney Bishop approached him a few weeks ago. "For a long time, offshore oil drilling was the third rail; we didn't talk about it," Cannon said. "But when gas prices spiked last summer, I thought about it and the hazard of not having our own supply."

Ron Sachs Communications went to work for Daniels' corporation two weeks ago after initially meeting with the group in December. Sachs, a former communications director for Gov. Lawton Chiles who opposed offshore drilling, said the individuals behind the move are small, independent men and women and not big companies.

"There is a lot more suspicion about this than there should be," Sachs insisted.

Sachs refused to say how much is being spent for advertising and public relations, economic analysis and a pollster, but he said that drilling could provide the state with enough revenue to resolve many of its budget shortfalls.

Lobbyists hired to fight for the bill include the team at Southern Strategy Group, which includes former House Speaker John Thrasher; Holland & Knight lobbyist Martha Barnett; former Secretary of State Jim Smith; and Wade Hopping.

Although all lobbyists will have to disclose the fees they are earning in quarterly reports, only one of them would answer questions about fees for the oil drilling bill. Smith said he had been asked to help and signed a yearlong contract for $10,000 a month.

I received a call from Senator, Don Gaetz in the past hour and would like to clarify his position on this Bill. He felt I mischaracterized his position having stated he was among politicians "advocating" the bill. I apologized to him and asked him to state his position on near shore oil drilling.

Don told me his voting history speaks for itself and that he has not voted on the bill and would consider the bill if it is brought to the Senate taking into regard the economic, military and environmental impacts. He verified his position stated in the article below.

Don will be emailing me on Monday with a more in depth statement regarding his position on the matter. I have known Don personally for the past 24 years and it is my sincere hope when all is said and done he will stand with us in opposition to near shore drilling.

The fact remains that all of our local representatives in the House voted for this bill and this article confirms that it is being considered if certain issues regarding the military are satisfied. At some time in the near future a version of the house bill could go before the State Senate. As concerned Floridian's we should follow this matter very closely.

Local lawmakers: oil drilling bill must include military protections
Comments 2 | Recommend 1
September 12, 2009 05:50:00 PM
By MATT DIXON / News Herald Writer
PANAMA CITY ? In April, the Florida House passed a bill that would allow the governor and cabinet authority to accept applications for oil and gas drilling as close as three miles off Florida's beaches.

Both area House members supported the legislation, which was never considered by the Senate, but only after provisions were made to protect the Panhandle?s five military bases.

?Jimmy Patronis and I both worked together to ensure that the bill had language that explicitly protected the area?s military interests,? said Rep. Marti Coley, R ? Marianna.

With speaker-designate Rep. Dean Cannon, R ? Winter Park, and Sen. Mike Haridopolos, R ? Merritt Island, in line to become Senate President, set to co-author a similar piece of oil drilling legislation, the topic of oil drilling near the beaches of Bay County, and other coastal areas statewide, is again fast approaching.

Area lawmaker?s priorities, however, remain unchanged.

?If there is any type of military mission that could be affected by a drilling plan, I won?t support it,? Patronis, R ? Panama City, said.

Because last session there was no companion to the House bill in the Senate, and Senate President Jeff Atwater, R ? North Palm Beach, citing time restraints, refused to take up the House bill, Sen. Don Gaetz, R ? Niceville, never got the opportunity to officially chime in on the issue.

He says, however, that he stands in lock step with Coley and Patronis.

?I am with the military,? he said. ?If a bill would make us vulnerable in any way, or put us in danger of having any missions being picked off by Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid. ? I will be the loudest voice saying, ?Let?s slow down.??

Gaetz said he thinks the issue will inevitably re-appear during the legislature regular session, but that talks of offshore oil drilling coming up during a potential two-day special session in October are pre-mature.

?I think it will come up again, and I think there will be companion bills with strong sponsors,? Gaetz said. ?But it will not be a special session issue unless it?s a special session devoted entirely to the topic.

Coley said that talks she has had with House leadership about protecting military interests have gone well.

?I actually spoke with the speaker-designate about protecting the military when considering drilling off of our coast,? she said. ?He told me. ?That?s a given.??

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
More from Senator Gaetz in article on special session in October

I guess we will all see what really happens!

Crist eager for October special session on Seminole gambling compact

By Jim Ash
FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU CHIEF

Gov. Charlie Crist, eager for the state to tap $162 million in gambling proceeds while he campaigns for the U.S. Senate, wants legislators to approve a Seminole gaming compact in an October special session.

Crist is so eager to put lawmakers to work, that he would even consider taking up offshore drilling in the same session.

"At this point, he is open to topics other than the compact," said his spokesman, Sterling Ivey.

But House and Senate leaders are less than enthusiastic.

Senate President Jeff Atwater, R-North Palm Beach, is still studying the controversial gambling expansion proposal, and is in no rush to sign off, said his spokeswoman Jaryn Emhoff.

"Until we finish that and have a good idea of what's in it, any talk of a special session is very premature."

Conservatives such as Sen. Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, frown on any gambling extension. And squeezing an explosive issue like offshore drilling into the same special session is not a good idea, Gaetz said.

"That's not a two-day special-session topic," he said. "It's much more complicated than drill baby drill, or a bumper sticker with a rig with a line through it."

Last edited:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
Protecting only the military mission is very different than protecting the ocean! So is everyone OK with drilling as long as it's in someone else's part of the gulf?
Don't let em off the hook. We lose if we get drilling anywhere ! They don't need to do it. It is pure greed!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
My point was that Florida Energy Associates are attempting to tamp down opposition in Tampa, Miami, the Atlantic coast and the Keys by saying they only want to explore areas off Pasco County and the Panhandle. Our representatives are all Republican, and the Republican leadership is really pushing this issue so they aren't likely to oppose the legislation. The heavily Democratic areas have been reassured they won't be affected, which I am sure they calculate will keep public outrage to a minimum.

As for the Destin Dome (natural gas) and areas inshore from the dome (where most of the oil is imagined to be) -- that's just my way of questioning what sort of provisions to protect the military could possibly be in this bill. There is not enough oil to justify hiring every established lobbyist in Tallahassee if they don't get rigs north and northeast of the Destin Dome.

Incidentally, the bill applies to state waters (3-12) miles out, but gives county commissioners the right to enter into leases in the waters out to the three mile line. Can you imagine this kind of lobbying money and pressure being brought to bear on the BCC?

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Democratic Caucus to meet regarding drilling

For Immediate Release

October 2, 2009

850-488-9622

MEDIA ADVISORY

The Florida House Democratic Caucus will host a discussion on Tuesday, October 6, concerning proposals to lift the ban on offshore oil drilling in state waters.

Expected presenters include: Frank Matthews of the Hopping Green & Sams law firm and others representing Florida Energy Associates; Eric Draper of the Florida Audubon Society; and various other experts on the subject.

The media is invited---but the question-and-answer portion of the presentation is limited to members of the Florida House Democratic Caucus.

Details for the event are as follows:

Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Time: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Location: House Democratic Caucus Conference Room, 316 The Capitol

# # #

Mark Hollis

Communications Director

Democratic Office

Florida House of Representatives

850-488-9622

The Homepage for the Florida House Democratic Caucus

Status