• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I have been posting a few times so thought I should "meet" everyone. My husband and I are from upstate NY - as far north as you can get. No, we are not New Yorkers as we are 350 miles north of NY City. We live on a beautiful lake - 6th largest in the US- directly across from Burlington VT and 50 miles south of Montreal Canada- one of the most unique cities in the world. So we have the best of both - quiet village life and one hour away big city life.
We spent the winter in Seacrest beach VIllas on 30A and I have been telling everyone I know that 30A is the most beautiful part of Florida. So different from busy, crowded, and "not so pretty" South Florida where most snowbirds go.
Yes, we are snowbirds but not your typical. We are young retirees and need to keep busy. So we volunteered at Eden State Park, Boys and Girls Club and Junior Achievement. We also joined a running club as we are (well, were ) big time runners.
The only problem we had with our winter there was missing our friends and finding it so hard to meet new people. How I wish I had found this forum earlier. We are not golfers, bingo players, or shoppers, so we had to work hard at not being bored. The group here seems interesting, active, and helpful. Hopefully, when we come next year we will find more to do via this board.
well, running out of space, thanks for reading. Gayle

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:welcome:Gayle. I have a feeling if you stay on this board, you'll have your dance card booked for next year in no time!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
:welcome: Gayle. I was in Seacrest for a weekend in February and noticed that the snowbirds were out in force! I was surprised at how many there were. This seems to be a fairly new development, so I would expect that over time there will be more social activities just for you. Glad you enjoyed yourself ... we agree about the beaches; we have lovely beaches where we live too but there is nothing like 30A!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sounds like a great life - we hope to hear more from you!

Your place up north sounds beautiful! If you need a place to stay here - let me know if you want to trade houses for a week or two and we can trade pics and info. I've always wanted to visit Montreal and I love northern lakes.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Gayle, you are my hero! My husband and I plan on having the same kind of life as you when we hit retirement age. It's good to give back to the community in the shape of volunteerism and it's good to be at the beach, our beautiful SoWal beach! :clap:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
:welcome:It does sound like a great life. I think if you hang around here you will have many friends in which to catch up with next year on your winter visit!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:welcome: yacker! You are a wonderful addition to sowal and now, sowal.com!

Please post some more and tell us about your volunteering in the area. Like, Mermaid...sowal has become more like home, than home! It is such a great community, full of welcoming people and great opportunities to help out!

klauricella

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2007
Freeport
Do you live in ADK?? I'm from Rochester but used to camp almost every summer in Cranberry Lake, ADK. I love it up there!!

:welcome:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
:wave: Gayle welcome to SoWal forum, even though you have posted some. It's so nice that you told us about where you live and something about yourself. Love that ya'll are very active retirees! Teach us how you did it!!!! You sound like a lot of fun. Let us know when you are coming back and keep posting and you will find your niche!!!

:welcome: Kat :party: