• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Voting Yes on Amendment 1 will also add a $25K exemption to the tangible personal property tax. This is going to assist small business owners from completing burdensome paperwork as well as absentee owners who are renting their secondary homes. Most will no longer have to file paperwork annual and pay another 'nuisance' tax annually.

What affect will a Yes vote have on Walton County Government. All things being equal, zero growth, Walton County will see a 1.5% reduction in the property tax base the first year. At the current millage rate that would be approx 1.3 million dollars in revenue. These numbers come from a report prepared for the Florida Senate during the tax cut debates last year. Keep in mind that the higher these numbers are, the better the tax cut would look. Yet the Florida Association of Counties, the government lobbying agency that uses tax dollars from local government to lobby against tax cuts, says that the cuts would actually result in a 3.5 million dollar cut in Walton County.

If the county budget is $125 million, then would you not think that true leaders could find 1.3 million dollars to offer some relief to the citizens? Remember this is based on zero growth. Any growth erodes that number away.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It is a pretty simple choice for me, because without SOH, I would have to leave Florida. As it is, I can barely afford insurance anymore.
I don't care for the tone of the posts that imply that somehow this is the fault of people not getting involved enough to force some other kind of tax relief at the local level. From my perspective, most people who are working full time are too busy making money to pay the taxes and insurance and everything else that daily living requires to effectively participate in govt. It is in fact the retired and the semi-retired that regularly show up at county meetings, and the less wealthy among these are the very ones that will be packing to move away without SOH.
Should I have anticipated this and made more money in past years? Well, yeah, probably, but life throws us a lot of curves. When you still have strength and health you are better able to roll with the punches, but beyond a certain point it ain't so easy.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It is in fact the retired and the semi-retired that regularly show up at county meetings, and the less wealthy among these are the very ones that will be packing to move away without SOH.

I would like to know where you got this fact. From my observation, that statement is far from the truth.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Let's go with the last meeting, out of the four people at Tues night's meeting, two were with the South Walton Community Council (neither semi-retired), myself (no where near retirement), and I cannot remember who the forth was. Oh, I almost forgot about the reporter for the radio station, who was typing his story in the hall.

I just don't see the same thing. Out of curiosity, how many of the 24 BCC meetings would you say you attend in a given year? Maybe we are going to different meetings. How many of the Planning Commission Mtgs would you say you attend in a given year? I only raise the question, because if you are basing your "fact" upon one or two meetings, it may be accurate for those particular meetings, but maybe not for the average meeting. I see a wide variety of people at the meetings, and depending on the particular items on the agenda, I might see a bunch of retired people or a bunch of working class, people in their 30s-40s. Typically, it is based upon which condo or neighborhood is having the issue. Not saying you are wrong, but maybe we are going to different meetings.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
That will be interesting. Didn't the amendment now requiring a 60% hurdle only pass at 52%?
Yes, and most everything voted on was just passing the 50 percent hurdle....even the pig legislation. Ironically, good proposals are now tougher to pass.