How did you find SoWal.com????

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by InletBchDweller, Feb 2, 2008.

1. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Picked up a sticker at the store in Grayton. Sunkist and I were taking the scenic route to Appalach from FWB--even though I'd been hanging out on 30-A for years before. (She has sworn she will never make this trek with me again). I think I had actually looked before trying to get hurricane info so I would know if we were actually gonna get to take our vacation in '05.

2. audie

audie fartblossom

my hubby found it on the internet and showed it to me. the rest is history

3. krafty

krafty Beach Lover

Me too. I lurked for awhile but finally joined because of SmilingJOe. He would post ONE great photo and then had a "click here for more" link. I just had to see the rest. :D

4. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Found the old board during Ivan, lurked for almost a year, could not believe all the great info and commisseration during Dennis ... never really left. This is the BEST place for info! But the people make it special. :wub:

5. greenroomsurfer

greenroomsurfer Beach Fanatic

The Sowal Cult members made me do it. Then I was taken by aliens now every where I look I see SoWal stickers. Kurt won the sticker war!!!!!!!!!:confused:

6. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

Found Graytonbeach.com looking for hurricane photos after Ivan. I couldn't believe how Smiling JOe would go out of his way to take photos of areas that people were asking about. Like Miss Kitty (a/k/a Sueshore), I lurked for a loooong time.

7. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

I knew about Kurt's "little" website for years but was too engrossed in my own life to pay it much mind. It was not until I visited SoWal for the first time in 15 years that I fell in love with the place, the people and the site. Tootsie introduced me to it and it has been a constant source of inspiration for me :wub: It is a wonderful place to log on to and dream and share the dream with loved ones.

8. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

It has been a year now since I joined in on the SoWal funn and at my advanced age I don't remember how I found out about the site. I do remember the thread "Led Away In Handcuffs" really made me a daily or more than daily visitor to the website. It is a great site and I am glad I found it and recommend it to friends often.

9. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

great thread ibd. how interesting to read them all...

I find it impossible to believe this one though...

:rolling:

wonder how many addicted lurkers there are? we could do a poll or start a lurker thread - are you a lurker? how long? why? so strange to think there is an entire silent sowal population out there.

10. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Ivan and Dennis made me do it.

11. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Is there a thread that shares how everyone chose their User Name? Of course mine is easy, my favorite Disney Character.:wub:

But would love to know what made others choose thiers, such as Miss Kitty, Smiling Joe, Tootsie, Rapunzel, Savvytangerine, Potato Vixen, NoHall, Skunkape:dunno:

Some are each to figure out but others I am sure there is a story there somewhere. :roll:

12. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

don't think there is such a thread, but there could be one, in the lounge perhaps.

in a nutshell though, people chose user names based on a wide range of reasons. mine is my nickname. Miss Kitty's name used to be Sueshore, but we all called her Miss Kitty - she has so many posts that she was granted a new name upon request. each person has a story.

we do have a nickname thread somewhere.... what is your nickname? that was interesting.

13. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

graytonbeach.com and the webcam!

14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Googled "Walton County 30A", I think.

15. Chickpea

Chickpea Beach Fanatic

Sitting up on former terrace ay Cafe 30A started chatting /drinking with Tootsie and Kurt and thought, "wow, here are some cool folks and i WILL check out their site!!!"

16. momof2kids

momof2kids Beach Fanatic

Talking with a friend about a dog that needed a home... Unfortunately someone else got the dog; I got a screen name :D.

17. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

I discovered SoWall when I was removing new square SoWall stickers off of our gated community entrance wall and stop sign in Santa Rosa Beach----I think it was around 2005?

I had adhesive remover and was getting nowhere in removing these sticky square Sowal signs someone had placed everywhere. I was actually pissed that someone would deface property in the name of spreading this Sowal.com, which at the time I had no idea what it was??

Now, I love it and forgive the guerilla warfare method of initially getting recognition--someone was a little over enthusiastic, I guess.

18. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Residue. :D

19. Lisa_at_the_beach

Lisa_at_the_beach Beach Fanatic

Kurt....a LONG time ago...

20. newyorker

newyorker Beach Lover

After hurrican Dennis--we were living in upstate NY at the time, but had booked our vacation, per usual, in SOWAL (we had always vacationed in SOWAL and living up there merely meant we had to fly down). I needed to know what to expect--the site was far better than any regular news organization. Meanwhile--this site has been fabulous--I even found my realtor here in Memphis through SOWAL (thanks SJ!!)