• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
The Balinese Room is gone. This makes me sad. It was a big part of Galveston's history. :sosad:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The Balinese Room is gone. This makes me sad. It was a big part of Galveston's history. :sosad:
So much destruction. I can't believe so many people stayed behind. I saw 500 National guard trucks set to go look for people.

thinking of all our texan sowallers, their families and friends too. please keep us up to date.

Yes. Same here.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

:sosad:...so much history, gone. Isn't that where Frank Sinatra sang?

thinking of all our texan sowallers, their families and friends too. please keep us up to date.

:wave:...thanks, Toots. My sister has a BA pine tree on her garage and no power. She sounds weary, but is hanging in there. Still no news on PawPaw's house. The neighbor hasn't contacted us (they may have power issues) and we are afraid to call. Ignorance is bliss, today. Trying to keep PawPaw occupied.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I was just catching the local weather on tv and Central Arkansas and Missouri are getting the worst of the remnants, lots of yellow and orange, etc. We are having high winds, gusts up to 50mph. Our lights have flickered 5 or 6 times already, some of it while I was showering. We are under a tornado watch until 10 a.m. and a wind advisory until 4:00 p.m.!

I've heard more ambulances in the past 5 minutes.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
:sosad:...so much history, gone. Isn't that where Frank Sinatra sang?

:wave:...thanks, Toots. My sister has a BA pine tree on her garage and no power. She sounds weary, but is hanging in there. Still no news on PawPaw's house. The neighbor hasn't contacted us (they may have power issues) and we are afraid to call. Ignorance is bliss, today. Trying to keep PawPaw occupied.

From the Associated Press:
A historic Galveston, Texas, nightclub that once attracted some of the world's top entertainers was washed away by the storm surge of Hurricane Ike.
The 79-year-old Balinese Room was once a popular dance and gambling hall. It hosted performances by Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, George Burns and the Marx Brothers in the 1940s and '50s. Howard Hughes was a patron.
The structure along Galveston's sea wall had extended 600 feet out into the Gulf of Mexico. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
It had survived Hurricane Carla in 1961 and Hurricane Alicia in 1983, but Ike was too much for it as the storm's surge ripped the building apart early Saturday.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Miss Kitty, here's hoping Paw Paw's house was unaffected.

This storm is dumping lots of rain as it travels north and merges with a cold front. My sister called from Naperville, IL yesterday to say they had already gotten about 5 inches of rain and at least that much more was expected.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Miss Kitty, here's hoping Paw Paw's house was unaffected.

This storm is dumping lots of rain as it travels north and merges with a cold front. My sister called from Naperville, IL yesterday to say they had already gotten about 5 inches of rain and at least that much more was expected.

We got a whopping 3/8".