• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Nobody who works during the day will get to watch it, so I fail to see what the hoopla is.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The "hoopla" is that our schools are supposed to educate our kids about current events, our government, and the history of our country.

Not showing the inauguration of our president to our schoolchildren is such a big WTF decision that I am speechless that it is even an option.

Yes, many Americans will have to work that day (as they do for many holidays), that doesn't mean it isn't an important day or a historic event.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The point of the hoopla is that there is a man of black African ancestry who won the Presidency. An amazing accomplishment considering the relative youth of this country and the disadvantages imposed on black people during the majority of that time. If there is another country on Earth that has come so far so quickly, I am at a loss to name that state. It makes me proud that the majority of voters judge their peers on their ideas and character instead of their last name, skin color or religion.

I remember watching both the first space shuttle liftoff and landing, as well as the Challenger disaster on TV. I remember the day Reagan was shot and the TV was rolled into our classroom. The same goes for the day the Pope was shot (Catholic school). I know my dad was at work and didn't watch any of that stuff as it happened, and that was his loss. I saw history. Our young people will be robbed if they don't get a chance to watch this event live as it will stay with them forever. It will be the stuff of history books long after we are gone.
Nobody who works during the day will get to watch it, so I fail to see what the hoopla is.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The point of the hoopla is that there is a man of black African ancestry who won the Presidency. An amazing accomplishment considering the relative youth of this country and the disadvantages imposed on black people during the majority of that time. If there is another country on Earth that has come so far so quickly, I am at a loss to name that state. It makes me proud that the majority of voters judge their peers on their ideas and character instead of their last name, skin color or religion.

I remember watching both the first space shuttle liftoff and landing, as well as the Challenger disaster on TV. I remember the day Reagan was shot and the TV was rolled into our classroom. The same goes for the day the Pope was shot (Catholic school). I know my dad was at work and didn't watch any of that stuff as it happened, and that was his loss. I saw history. Our young people will be robbed if they don't get a chance to watch this event live as it will stay with them forever. It will be the stuff of history books long after we are gone.

I remember watching some of these events as well, at school. It was hard watching the Challenger disaster. We were watching because a teacher was onboard. Something I'll never forget.:sosad:

Watching the Inauguration should be mandatory at least in History class. :roll:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Independent of all the silly festivities that surround these things (bands, balls, and all that) the key part is the oath of office and Obama's speech. That happens between 11:00-11:15am. I would think it reasonable that students would be allowed out of class for that period and be given the opportunity to watch.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree with everything Skunky said above. Not only is this a special occasion for all the reasons he said, but it is also a special occasion because as President-elect Obama has said so often: "In no other country in the world is his story even possible".

To see a young man who grew up without a father; with a single mom who struggled to not only give him a good life, but help him understand the father who left him behind; to know how he struggled to find his place in the world; became educated through loans and scholarships; and made his place through all kinds of obstacles...to see this man have enough courage to believe in a better way for all of us...and for him to be willing to put his belief on the line to lead us all to a better country. How can all of that not be considered important for all the children in this country who so need to see hope; who need a role model; and who need to believe in the specialiness of America...how can that not be considered a special occasion regardless of anyone's poltical persuasion?

I just watched/listened to the HBO/NPR We are One concert on the Washington Mall...it brought tears to my eyes. If I had a child in school and he or she could not watch on Tuesday, I would take them out of school to make sure they saw it; if I did not work where I could see it myself, I would take a day off.

I am old enough to remember the day JFK was shot...our principal without any notice( and without getting permission, I'm sure) turned the PA system in our school on, and I will never forget the voice of my cousin (who worked at the local radio station) announcing that the president had been shot; I watched the Moon walk; the fall of Saigon....and so much more. I will never forget those times.

I believe we have a responsibility to our children to educate them in the way of our country; to show them that public service is an honorable service; and to share with them the magic that is our country.

Call me naive; I believe that we are living in a special time and every demonstration of hope should be cherished...I hope our children all have the opportunity to experience this historical event.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Obama's circumstances and heritage make the event MORE special, but I would also expect them to be showing the inauguration if McCain had been elected.

It's a major event for our country and the culmination of the voting process our students have been learning about with mock elections, ads on TV etc.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I completely agree Scooterbug. It should be available regardless of who the person is.

Senator McCain's story, while different, is just as special--just as important...and he is certainly a role model in other ways.

IMO the point is we are watching history in the making and it is important that the children have the opportunity to have that experience be a part of who they are.

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Independent of all the silly festivities that surround these things (bands, balls, and all that) the key part is the oath of office and Obama's speech. That happens between 11:00-11:15am. I would think it reasonable that students would be allowed out of class for that period and be given the opportunity to watch.

If you're watching then, you will miss the beginning. Biden is around 10:45 and Obama at 10:55 central.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
The We Are One concert is available to watch, even if you don't have HBO.

http://www.hbo.com/weareone/
Jon Bon Jovi singing one of my dad's favorites -- Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke -- had me in tears. Jennifer Nettles with John
Legend was also pretty fabulous. Garth Brooks was great. I also really enjoyed This Land is Your Land.

There are a lot of speeches being played in part. I think they may be a tutorial for the historical references coming in the speech Tuesday.