• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The kids own that one - it is just one of the many dining territories wholly ceded to them under the ruling in Other Paying Customers vs. Your Children.

Playgrounds, the McDonald's ball pit, fast food restaurants, and most pizza places are also legally theirs to control.

In return, the OPC got anywhere with a certain percentage of caffeinated beverage and liquor sales, cloth napkins, valet parking, and professional waiters.

KerriH

Beach Comber
Mar 8, 2010
Nashville, TN
LOL, people. Ok, if we wanted Chuck E Cheese or McD's we'd stay in Nashville! Sweet girl has only started fussing one time in a restaurant and that was Cracker Barrel. I marched her right out to the car and to feed her. Usually, the key with her is to have food ready. Hubby promptly packed up our food and home we went!

KerriH

Beach Comber
Mar 8, 2010
Nashville, TN
I guess I am worried about showing up at some of the local restaurants with the baby and getting the stink eye for bringing her. I mean, how do I know if it's not OK to bring her to certain establishments. Are those known for fine dining off limits now?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Unless it is one of the really nice restaurants, you should be okay dining early. The stink eye is for those blatantly unaware of the issue.

BookMan

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
I have a nine month old. She was born at Sacred Heart on 98 and we live on 30-A. We take her everywhere we go and everyone adores her. On her part she is very well behaved, more so than I am really. We have never had any issues at any local establishments. We do tend to go really early, take her out if she gets fussy, and we really take care of our servers. Being a parent should not keep you from enjoying some of the best dinning anywhere on the Gulf.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think at most restaurants, you'll only get the stink eye if she starts to misbehave and you don't walk outside with her. My experience has been that for the most part, we are a society that likes to see families out and about. Albeit, early and on their best behavior.

When I only had one child, I took him to a ton of really nice restaurants. As long as he had a train for each hand, he was perfectly content. Once I had another child, it's much harder because of the interactions with each other can get a little loud and rambunctious.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We always took our kids everywhere. People told us we could only do that because they were so good. But I believe they were so good *because* we always took them.

I suggest taking them to loud busy places. This way they have much to look at and listen to and if they fuss no one will even notice.

Places like Red Bar- yes! Places like Cafe Tango- no!

And as others suggested- take them outside if their fussing is noticable to others.

Nanny Suzette is the best in the area, BTW...

I wouldn't take a baby to an expensive restaurant like Bud & Alley's main restaurant, Borago, Cafe Thirty-A, Destin Chops, Cafe Tango, Fish Out of Water, etc., unless you have what we called a "designated martyr." That was one of us, determined in advance, who would leave the restaurant when our daughter started crying. Of course, we took turns doing this. Sometimes we got lucky. The rocker seat helped before she started walking. We'd just put her on top of the table and rock her while we ate.

We took her everywhere, just like Geo, including on all of our trips to Europe, Asia, Bermuda. She's been to some of the finest restaurants in the world. But we always had a designated martyr so as not to bother others.

Last edited:

scrappymommy

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2009
Like the others said, going early and loud is key!!! We have a 4 year old and a 9 month old and most of the places we eat at (Enzos, Great Southern Cafe, Gravel Road, Pizza By The Sea-they have a really nice cushy changing table!) are very accomodating. I think Chops would be perfectly fine to take a 9 month old to, as long as you can get her out fast if she gets fussy. We bring puffs or other finger type food with us, and that keeps our son quite entertained at this stage:)

Also, if you will be here in June, chances are you won't be the only one at the place with an infant!