• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If we're going to provide lifeguards, then I'm happy we're providing a professional program through the South Walton Fire Department. I am convinced we will all benefit from beach patrol and lifeguards at the main beach accesses. And congratulations to Sowal Fire Dept for an outstanding proposal! They are the best qualified for the job all the way around, IMO!!! :clap_1:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I am glad there will be some life guards on 30A. Out of curiosity, what does a life guard do to save someone from a rip tide? Do they have special equipment? Can they tell when rip tides are present and warn people to stay away from them? I've heard there are ways you can tell when rip tides are present by looking at the way the waves come to shore.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
I am glad there will be some life guards on 30A. Out of curiosity, what does a life guard do to save someone from a rip tide? Do they have special equipment? Can they tell when rip tides are present and warn people to stay away from them? I've heard there are ways you can tell when rip tides are present by looking at the way the waves come to shore.
Donna, if you know what you are looking for, spotting rip currents is fairly easy. You are looking for a focussed flow of water, almost river-like, heading out to sea. I have not been trained as a life-guard, but I don't forsee any unordinary problems rescuing someone from a rip current than any other circumstance. I think the most important thing in rescuing is to have a floatation device when you go out.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks, Joe. I've also heard that it looks like two waves coming into shore at a V-formation -- the rip tide would be where the two waves meet and then retreat back to sea. Of course, this wouldn't necessary mean that there wouldn't be rip tides in less obvious places.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
Thanks, Joe. I've also heard that it looks like two waves coming into shore at a V-formation -- the rip tide would be where the two waves meet and then retreat back to sea. Of course, this wouldn't necessary mean that there wouldn't be rip tides in less obvious places.
I just look for currents flowing in opposite direction of the waves. Waves still across the currents, but they are typically muted somewhat. The currents are handy for getting out to the waves when paddling my kayak. They shoot you right out.

If ripcurrents are present, you will most likely see yellow, red or double red flags flying, and lifeguards should be aware of the currents and try to inform people of the potential danger.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
I suppose the first legal tests will be this year then, some extremely drunk hell-cat of a woman from Durt, Kentucky fresh off the Jerry Springer Show simply won't come out of the water when told.

Do the lifeguards have the power to arrest? (or to spank? she'd like that better!)

Will there be an ad by Jim Stuckinsinder, Attournee Et Lawwww that says "If you or your loved ones were looked at wrong by the Lifeguards, or your feeeelings were hurt, we can get you MONEEEY!"

Wonder who will try the first lifeguard sex case? (the same woman from Durt, Kentucky, is also charged with stripping another lifeguard, who was also a local fireman, painting him with strawberry jam and repeatedly licking his tanned, muscular body)

oh the wonderful things that we have yet to see - looking forward to reading all about it - better than a romance novel on a cold and blustery holiday

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am hoping that the SWFD will hire cute college girls to lifeguard. Now what were you saying about sex?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
aquaticbiology said:
Wonder who will try the first lifeguard sex case? (the same woman from Durt, Kentucky, is also charged with stripping another lifeguard, who was also a local fireman, painting him with strawberry jam and repeatedly licking his tanned, muscular body)

oh the wonderful things that we have yet to see - looking forward to reading all about it - better than a romance novel on a cold and blustery holiday

OH! I had not thought about potential lifeguard sex incidents on the beach... hmmmmmmm. might spice up the Sun. :shock:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
actually I was thinking of the calendars with the half-naked firemen, I suppose one of those, but with Lifeguards, is in our future.

I can't shake this bug - getting depressed - sorry kids if I'm bumming y'all out - interesting going back and reading what I wrote (clever, too) but having no memory of it once the cold medicine kicked in