• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Candidates could have chosen to run as NPA, no party affiliation, and would have been guaranteed a spot on the November ballot.

I am still confused by Organicmama's statements. What race did you not get to vote in due to party politics?

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Candidates could have chosen to run as NPA, no party affiliation, and would have been guaranteed a spot on the November ballot.

I am still confused by Organicmama's statements. What race did you not get to vote in due to party politics?

I am not saying anything different from SJ, mossyhead or analogman. It might not be as eloquent because I have been trying to type messages while running out the door each time, but their sentiments pretty much sum up my thoughts.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wrobert, my guess is that organicmama is referring to the Sheriff's race. Yes, she will be able to vote in the general election for that race, but she didn't have a voice in choosing who she felt was the best candidate for the Reps, who is most likely going to be the winner in Nov. (did I just say that outloud?)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
wrobert, my guess is that organicmama is referring to the Sheriff's race. Yes, she will be able to vote in the general election for that race, but she didn't have a voice in choosing who she felt was the best candidate for the Reps, who is most likely going to be the winner in Nov. (did I just say that outloud?)

Got ya. We are back to the that premise. I do not want to be a member of your club but I want to help choose your candidate.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
more like, 86 the damn clubs (lol) so everyone can vote for the best candidate. Then, we could have a runoff of the top two finishers. (my thoughts, not necessarily OrganicMama's)

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

Thanks for being able to discern what I am trying to say.

My irritation stems from the fact that to vote "fully" in the primary (on both the races that were decided AND in being able to vote on who will run in Nov), I would have had to switch my status from Dem to Rep, which many people actually do.

Regarding local politics, and in this case the primaries, the issue of parties is "funny" to me because I would like to be able to choose the BEST candidate and not have to fret over the fact that I can't vote for Joe Schmoe because I'm not affiliated with that party. I can understand that differentiation on the state and national level but not on this one.

mossyhead

Beach Fanatic
Aug 26, 2008
Mossy Head
www.panhandleopry.com
Regarding local politics, and in this case the primaries, the issue of parties is "funny" to me because I would like to be able to choose the BEST candidate and not have to fret over the fact that I can't vote for Joe Schmoe because I'm not affiliated with that party. I can understand that differentiation on the state and national level but not on this one.

That is pretty much the point I was trying to make. In our local politics party issues are not necessarily important. And I AM a Republican & feel strongly about the issues on a national & state level. But they have very little bearing on local issues.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I didn't get to vote for the Sheriff's race either because I'm independent. I'm not "politics-savvy" so I really didn't understand. If I'm registered to vote, why couldn't I cast a ballot in the sheriff's race? Mine and others' votes there may have made a difference in the outcome, no? :dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I didn't get to vote for the Sheriff's race either because I'm independent. I'm not "politics-savvy" so I really didn't understand. If I'm registered to vote, why couldn't I cast a ballot in the sheriff's race? Mine and others' votes there may have made a difference in the outcome, no? :dunno:

The Sheriff's race is not over. You will get to vote in November. The primary that just occurred was all the Republicans, getting together, and us picking whomever we, as a majority felt, was the best candidate to run in the election in November.