• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The Sheriff's race is not over. You will get to vote in November. The primary that just occurred was all the Republicans, getting together, and us picking whomever we, as a majority felt, was the best candidate to run in the election in November.

I understand that. I don't understand why independents aren't allowed to vote for who they want on the ballot in Nov.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

So basically, we have no voice unless we're registered as a Republican or a Democrat? That' s the way it works?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
yes, sunspotbaby, that is how the system currently works -- just like the Presidential race which you were not allowed a vote in. At the National level, I think it is good, but not on the local level.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Beating the heck outta this horse

The Sheriff's race is not over. You will get to vote in November. The primary that just occurred was all the Republicans, getting together, and us picking whomever we, as a majority felt, was the best candidate to run in the election in November.

No one is saying that anyone wants to take the rights of a party away. It's not a "Let's choose for the Republicans" issue. What we are saying, from a perspective of Dems, Reps & Indies, is that we'd simply like the partisan BS to be removed from local polls.

I'd vote for a rainbow colored alien from planet Zippo if I thought that s/he could do the best job.:D Seriously, I'd have no trouble voting for someone from any party IF I was able to choose the person that I thought was the best. I'm not "stuck" as a die hard anything.

If, like Sunspotbaby & Analogman (almost, I think), I registered as an Independent, I'd feel even more irritated by the system. Both of them are well-educated & thoughtful people who choose not to align with one party or another, yet their vote only counts in the final decision. So, we'll pick Y & Z for you to choose from but you don't have a choice on who the Y & Z are. Yes, it's great on the grander scale of national politics, but not in our little community.

Last edited:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks OM. I feel like an alien not fully understanding the process, but I'm beginning to "get it".
Essentially, the party that "chose" Ralph Johnson for the REPUBLICAN voters eight ? years ago ... RIGHT? nice job....:roll:

countyline4336

Beach Comber
Apr 16, 2008
Beg to Differ

I respectfully agree with about 98% of your views--until now. You say that Rebublicans "as a majority" picked the best candidate to run in November. That's what you did 4 years ago and it didn't honestly reflect the wishes of the voters in respect to the Sheriff's race. "Back in the Day", in an overcrowded race such as this, voters threw out the "spoilers" in the primary and got down to a legitimate choice in November. I think what you intended to referrence was a "plurality". Working under the current plurality system, a race with 10 Republicans and no Democrats could conceivably be won by a candidate with 11% of the vote. If this example reflects the "true will" of the people, I'll eat your hat raw. The only way the current system is legitimate, is if it works for you !

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I understand that. I don't understand why independents aren't allowed to vote for who they want on the ballot in Nov.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

So basically, we have no voice unless we're registered as a Republican or a Democrat? That' s the way it works?

Well, you do have a voice... you have to run an Independent candidate. It's the fault of the IND's if they don't run a candidate. I wish *every* party would start running candidates with confidence that come Nov, not everyone will side with their own party. You've just got to go out there and put your neck on the line.

Primaries are nothing more than picking a club president to represent the rest of the club. It's unfortunate that sometimes the person chosen doesn't really reflect the majority of that club, but unless you're a member of the club, you don't get a say.

Of course, I don't think a Sheriff's race should be a partisan race, but even if it isn't it will still be a cluster**** at the end because of the number of people running.

Primaries are really nothing more than a group getting together to pick their representative in an attempt to cut down the number of candidates so we don't end up in a plurality situation. I wonder when we even started using state elections to conduct primaries because I'm willing to bet that in history, they were chosen at a party meeting, like an endorsement.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Well, you do have a voice... you have to run an Independent candidate. It's the fault of the IND's if they don't run a candidate. I wish *every* party would start running candidates with confidence that come Nov, not everyone will side with their own party. You've just got to go out there and put your neck on the line.

Primaries are nothing more than picking a club president to represent the rest of the club. It's unfortunate that sometimes the person chosen doesn't really reflect the majority of that club, but unless you're a member of the club, you don't get a say.

Of course, I don't think a Sheriff's race should be a partisan race, but even if it isn't it will still be a cluster**** at the end because of the number of people running.

Primaries are really nothing more than a group getting together to pick their representative in an attempt to cut down the number of candidates so we don't end up in a plurality situation. I wonder when we even started using state elections to conduct primaries because I'm willing to bet that in history, they were chosen at a party meeting, like an endorsement.

There's a hitch, Independents aren't one size fits all, so the ability to choose a candidate listed as an Independent pretty much has a slim to none chance. It's easy to say, coming from an established party, be it Democrat, Republican or even Libertarian. Plus, it still causes the cluster**** that you are talking about because the more parties you add, you end up with somewhat of the same issue as just having a non-partisan race. Actually, it can be worse.

For example, I watched the prime minister race for Curacao, a few years ago. There were a number of parties (from what I remember there were 6) with candidates running for office. I happened to be friends with the daughter of the then prime minister, Miguel Pourier, who was head of the party known as PAR. Plus, one of my other friends' fathers was running against him. It was the perfect example of insanity.

All I can say is that on a small/local level, multi-party platforms trying to do anything is a joke. And, worse than just having a non-partisan race, you end up with the need for each candidate representing their party to tow the party line to the extent you lose the identity of who the candidate really is. That's NOT what we need in local elections.

The reason I use Curacao as an example is because it is still a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, although under the Netherlands Antilles and so the prime minister election is basically a very local one.... until they are able to establish an autonomous status under The Netherlands, like Aruba.

Again, partisan politics work more on a state and national level.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't understand why "Parties" are picking county Sheriff candidates...

Can anyone tell me the difference in a Republican Sheriff and a Democratic Sheriff? :dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Can anyone tell me the difference in a Republican Sheriff and a Democratic Sheriff? :dunno:

Just the way it works, hon. I'm not for parties on the local level, either, as *most* Republicans who have lived in Walton County for more than 15 - 20 years were Democrats at one point. According to my father's stern orders, I registered as a Democrat when I was 18 "so I could vote in local races." While I've always been conservative and all those things typically associated with Republicans, I didn't switch parties until 2000, when it was time to vote for my boss and she ran on the Republican ticket.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Oh that's easy. One has to run spend a lot of time, money, mudslinging, and aggravation to run against against 5 or 6 others to get on the ballot in November, the other just signs up and is on the ballot.;-)