• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Not sure why the media is saying it's in Inlet Beach. Watch Tower Lane is in Watersound.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Not sure why the media is saying it's in Inlet Beach. Watch Tower Lane is in Watersound.

I think WaterSound Beach has an Inlet zip code.

Those homes are massive and close together.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
I think WaterSound Beach has an Inlet zip code.

Those homes are massive and close together.
Yes, looking at the aerials and using the measuring tool on the property appraiser's website, they appear to be 10 feet apart. The most recent update is that three houses have thus far been destroyed and five are involved. I'm guessing they are wood-frame like most of the new homes in South Walton.

That would mean a 5-foot setback for each house. I thought Walton County required 20-foot setbacks. Of course most of these lots are only 50-feet wide...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yes, looking at the aerials and using the measuring tool on the property appraiser's website, they appear to be 10 feet apart. The most recent update is that three houses have thus far been destroyed and five are involved. I'm guessing they are wood-frame like most of the new homes in South Walton.

That would mean a 5-foot setback for each house. I thought Walton County required 20-foot setbacks. Of course most of these lots are only 50-feet wide...

Setbacks are 7.5 feet. You're using a tool that literally disclaims itself as not to scale. Also, 7.5 is the standard side setback in Walton county.

I think we should be focusing on the tragedy that is people loosing their third or fourth home.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Also, setbacks are determined from the finished first floor wall. Most of those homes have at least three foot roof hangovers that aren't governed by setbacks.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Setbacks are 7.5 feet. You're using a tool that literally disclaims itself as not to scale. Also, 7.5 is the standard side setback in Walton county.

I think we should be focusing on the tragedy that is people loosing their third or fourth home.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised that the setbacks aren't greater for multistory structures like these.

The parcel outlined in red is reportedly where the fire started. Look how close the roofs are.

1628731707091.png

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I was traveling at the time.

To further clear the air there are smaller setbacks, but they are due to strange lot sizes or other situations such as an auxillary building that can sit directly on the property line.

If you think these are close check out Rosemary where some homes rainwater falls on a neighbors roof.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005

To further clear the air there are smaller setbacks, but they are due to strange lot sizes or other situations such as an auxillary building that can sit directly on the property line.

If you think these are close check out Rosemary where some homes rainwater falls on a neighbors roof.

You weren't kidding.

1628737086792.png

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015

And I was required to have 12ft from the edge of my pool to the rear property line in Miramar Beach.