• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
if some of you are correct and i'm assuming this is true. my issue would become this. why would the county be so short sighted to build some bike paths to no where but then no connect them via a road such as CH? i can come down to 83 on a path and then a dead stop? or 393 has an easement on the north side for bikes but again a dead stop? JD miller has one running it's length on the south side of CH but again a dead stop? it's like a bad Tetris game?
I do agree with the fact that the county is funding it, but i also agree that it tax cuts and lack of leadership over the long term will hurt both property values and the quality of our area for those who live on the north side of 98.
has the repavement of CH thrown out the median(s) that were planned as well?

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
as a side note, what did we spend on the median improvement on the west end of 98 for beautification? was that a Walton county project and where did that money come from? i had noticed that it has really weeded up lately and seems like we may have spent some money for nothing? i'm sure you see where i'm going with this!

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
I have wondered where the the money for upkeep would come from. Why does beautification always mean elaborate landscaping? As for Chat Holley, maybe a pedestrian walkway would be a better term. Serious bikers use the street anyway.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just for argument sake, if you turn the millage into a percentage how does that rank against the bed tax?

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
There are some R/W issues on the east end of the road. PW is working on a plan right now, and it looks like the path, if they can find funding, will resemble the path on Moll Dr. It will be attached to the road with a curb and it will be concrete.

I don't think state funding did any of the paths on the scenic hwy roads; those paths were in before the designation was received. On 393 they couldn't get permits from DEP because of some wetland impacts.

Funding for multi-use paths primarily comes out of the sidewalk fund account, which is just about gone, because of three recent projects: Moll Dr. , Mack Bayou and Gulfview Heights.

The median improvements on 98 were State funded, but the county is maitaining them now. About those improvements, why do we have standing water in some of those medians?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
if some of you are correct and i'm assuming this is true. my issue would become this. why would the county be so short sighted to build some bike paths to no where but then no connect them via a road such as CH? i can come down to 83 on a path and then a dead stop? or 393 has an easement on the north side for bikes but again a dead stop? JD miller has one running it's length on the south side of CH but again a dead stop? it's like a bad Tetris game?
I do agree with the fact that the county is funding it, but i also agree that it tax cuts and lack of leadership over the long term will hurt both property values and the quality of our area for those who live on the north side of 98.
has the repavement of CH thrown out the median(s) that were planned as well?
If I correctly understand your questions, the multi-use paths on 83, feed off of hwy 98, there is no real 83 N, except that short street which has mostly commercial large parcels that dead ends, so it would be pointless to extend the paths on the north side. That road doesn't feed to Chat Holley.

I believe hwy 393 north and hwy 395 are also designated as Scenic Highways, so that they we could apply for funding for such paths in the future, to do exactly what you are asking, connecting areas north of 98 with the central and south areas.

Not sure what you mean about JD Miller's path ending at 98. It connects people to 98, where they can flow further south on a feeder road. Funding cannot easily be given in one big dose to cover every need at the same time. It is done as money is available.

West end of 98 beautification median money was state funded (I believe).

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why can't they just have an extra 3' shoulder on one side instead of a separate curbed bike path?

Curbs just seem to make roads $$, take longer, and keep the water on them.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why can't they just have an extra 3' shoulder on one side instead of a separate curbed bike path?

Curbs just seem to make roads $$, take longer, and keep the water on them.

Right of way issues. Just because you want to add 3 feet doesn't mean you can.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Theer are the government. They have the force of law. If that is an issue it is because they are allowing it to be one.

Right, show me a commissioner that's willing to build a road up to someone's front door and I'll show you someone who won't be reelected.